First Knife is a Spyderco!

Just getting into the hobby and I just got my first non-issued Gerber / non-noname knife in the mail. Decided to start with a Shaman. From lurking it looks like Spyderco has a big following for making good knives and the shaman “spoke” to me the most. Saw this was some kind of special run at BHQ so I got it despite the scales being puke colored. Look forward to using it and being part of the community.
g3lvP95_d.jpg

Hi 101AASLT,

Welcome to our forum.

Let us know what you think of the model?

sal

Hi 101AASLT,

Welcome to our forum.

Let us know what you think of the model?

sal
Well first impression is it’s actually a bit lighter in color/translucent than I was expecting but that’s a good thing. I was also surprised to see the pin for the lock is also coated black. The flat black on the blade and pocket clip looks very well done. As of right now the only criticism I can think of is the blade doesn’t drop closed under it’s own weight like I see in most videos. It takes some shaking but perhaps the washers need to break in a bit or that’s just how it’s sposed to be.

Well first impression is it’s actually a bit lighter in color/translucent than I was expecting but that’s a good thing. I was also surprised to see the pin for the lock is also coated black. The flat black on the blade and pocket clip looks very well done. As of right now the only criticism I can think of is the blade doesn’t drop closed under it’s own weight like I see in most videos. It takes some shaking but perhaps the washers need to break in a bit or that’s just how it’s sposed to be.
Blade drop is more of a personal preference thing, Not really related to the functionality of the knife.

Holy crap... That's a heck of a first "real" knife!

If you like a larger handle/blade, I'm not sure you could have chosen a better knife at any price. The Shaman is fantastic and M4 is among the best steels I've ever used.

Blade free dropping is not necessarily a good feature to have. CRK knives purposely set not to free drop in the factory.

Congrats to the OP for choosing a $200+ spyderco as your first decent folder:thumbsup:

Blade free dropping is not necessarily a good feature to have. CRK knives purposely set not to free drop in the factory.

Congrats to the OP for choosing a $200+ spyderco as your first decent folder:thumbsup:
To be 100% honest I did order a $35 CRJB Crag the same day but this one got delivered first . I logged in to buy the regular Shaman but saw this “Exclusive” one and drank some marketing koolaid

To be 100% honest I did order a $35 CRJB Crag the same day but this one got delivered first . I logged in to buy the regular Shaman but saw this “Exclusive” one and drank some marketing koolaid

I wasn't a fan of the jade G10 on my M4 Para 3 so I had some black canvas Micarta scales made for it. In fact, the jade scales are a little bit in demand so I was even able to sell the stock scales for a decent amount to help finance the custom scales. I much prefer the look and feel of the Micarta... That being said, the M4 steel is WELL worth the added $10 cost over the standard S30V Shaman, I think you made the right choice.

Hey AASLT, welcome to the forum and congrats on a VERY nice knife! Let us know how you are liking it as it gets some carry time and use.

-You likely already know this but just in case, be aware that though M4 is an amazing performer, it is not a stainless steel and it requires a littler more care. Nothing crazy, just make sure to wipe off corrosive material or acidic food after use and try not to put it away wet.

As for the puke color, iv always liked the ghost green g10. I liked it enough to buy a set of it to make handed scales for my first home made knife.

Welcome to the community!

My fist good knife was a Spyderco also... a pm2.
And then it snowballed from there lol

Enjoy the ride :D

That shaman is shweet!

Welcome to the community!

My fist good knife was a Spyderco also... a pm2.
And then it snowballed from there lol

Enjoy the ride :D

That shaman is shweet!
Quoting myself from another recent post haha: “I bought the BHQ Shaman in M4 and I love it. It’s my first pocket knife of any notable quality and I’ve carried it this whole week. I feel like I’ve gotten bitten by “the bug” and it’s been fun learning up on on the different steels, models and upcoming sprints/flash batch/exclusives. I just got on a couple email lists for the orange Rex shaman as well.”

I’m also interested in eventually hunting down examples of a PM2-3, Manix and Native

Congratulations on making an amazing choice for your first "real" knife. If the color of the G10 really bothers you then you can find tutorials on how to bye them with Rit dye and make them whatever color you want!

Back