First Knife You Remember as a KID

First knife I remember is the Boy Scouts of America edition of the Buck Lite. It was given to me by my dad, still have it in it's original nylon vecro sheath. It is a cool knife; red handle, clip point blade with boy scout insignia on it. My most cherished knife. Means a lot to me.

My Dad gave me my first knife when I was about 6 or so. I was a little lockback folder with about a 1" blade and it was almost an exact replica of the Buck 110. I thought it was the coolest thing because my Dad had always had a Buck 110, and so I got the little version. I still got it today, and I often use it as a letter opener.
P.S. The make of the knife is 'Olympia', at least that is what's stamped perpendicular to the blade on its base.

First for me was a two-bladed Boker penknife. Still own it.

My first knife was a little coka-cola knife that I saw at a furniture store when I was very young.
I wanted it soooo bad, but my mom didn't want to buy it for me cause I would just cut myself with it.
My dad however didn't think it was so bad, since it was only a little knife (and he liked knives as well hehe). So they bought it for me, and my mom handed it to me with the words:" If you cut yourself, don't come crying to me."
Guess what happened that very afternoon lol

My first knife was a 2 bladed gents knife made by klassen that my father gave me,always wondered what happened to that one

This was my 1st knife, I still have it today! My father bought it for me from a gas station when I was 12 years old, cheap slipjoint, I cut myself within 5 minutes of owning it but I loved the thing, a year later I joined boyscouts so I owned a couple of SAK's as my 1st quality knives, then when I was 14 I got a Boker Top-Lock, I thought it was the best knife in the world...and the knives just kep on commin and still do, lol...:D

1158969205-IMGP5367.JPG

When I was 5 or 6 I was staying the summer at the grandparents house. An old guy named Mr. Tucker was always in his tool shed making one thing or another. One day I went over there and asked him if he could make me a knife.
I figured he would laugh me off and go back to what he was doing. Instead, he smiled and grabbed an old shovel. He cut a hunk out of it and began to shape it on the grinder.
After he got it shaped he found some wood and made a handle. That knife was sharp enough to shave with. It wasn't pretty but it sure was a cutter. I have never forgotten that knife or Mr.Tucker.

Mom,gave me my first knife in the 40's,I was 5.It was a Case, mixed colored handle.It did everything,made things to play with.We didn't have a lot of $$,don't know about being poor,boys I was with were in the same boat.We all carried pocketknives,everywhere,they were tools.Funny how things change,when I saw my first Randall it was a Model 2 with leather handle for the grand sum of $80!I now have more knives than I ever thought I would have.We never thought of using a knife to defend ourselves they were tools.I learned how to use it as something other than a tool later!Thanks for asking this ? brought back a lot of memories!
Jim

First knife I remember - actually knives -

The huge selection of Puma knives (mid 1970s, this was) in a hunting shop near my home.

I was dazzled.

All that gleaming steel, stag...
The etchings on the blades...

The first knife I really noticed was the knife Fess Parker wore as Davey Crockett - whatever it was. And, yes the first knife I bought was a 'sheath knife' - name and manufacturer unknown, but I felt really cool whenever I strtapped it onto my belt for camping trips!:cool: :) :D

I was 4 or so, in the early 70's, Dad gave me his old Boker 3 blade pocket knife. I couldn't get the blade open (it was VERY tight), so he figured it was safe. Well, Grampy was over visiting, he oiled and sharpened it for me! Now I had a functional knife!!! I lost it to teachers in 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th grades; but I always got it back with a warning. No police were involved, no "Zero Tolerance" BS, just old fashioned common sense teachers who knew that a boy was bound to have a pocket knife or two. But then again, if I acted up I was kicked in the butt by my 5th grade teacher, and again by my parents when I got home. My parents ALWAYS backed the teachers. Teachers were allowed to RUN the class, and not fear litigation by parents. I'm glad I grew up then, I had discipline and a Boker; I fear in todays classroom I would be doped up with ADD/ADHD meds and on Juvenile Probation, all for "being a boy".

Of course a Kamp King scout knife.
My oldest is now 65, my neighbors got it from a cruise, probably the first one lol. Dad held it tonight got older. 2 blade pen, Fake pearl, SS Ocean Monarch one side, ship inlay on the other.
Most interesting, learned alot on these sites so I checked out the tang stamp, reads k55k !

I remember playing with a cheap sak ripoff and I also remember it was dull as a butterknife. I also had one of those plastic hollow handle (with a compass) Rambo knives, that did not survive my first scout camp. I was devastated :)

The most vivid memory however is of the CETME bayonet I bought from neighbors kid.
That was quite sharp and actually not too bad. I nearly chopped my finger off while hacking some firewood on a boy scout camp.

When I got home after the stiches in the hospital, that knife mysteriously vanished...

Recently I got myself a good one in mint and never sharpened condition - It stays that way:)

Last edited:
A Pradel, looks like a SAK Spartan. Weird camo-like scales. Was about 50 when I was a kid, in pocket all summer. Must be 100 now, in draw- not used.

My Dad left for Vietnam in the early spring is 1962. The day before he left he have me an old Case stockman with a snapped off Spey blade the other two blades are fine. It’s a 6318 and I still have it. I’ve had it for 58 years and my dad bought it new!

Big rectangular butcher knives in old world China.

We used those things for everything; shaving, butchering, cutting wood, chasing cheating spouses...

Oh and cooking of course.

I remember my grandpa used to sharpen those on wet concrete and bricks (I think) lol because we didnt have dedicated sharpeners. Later when we got more money we got one of those bicycle pedal wetstone wheel lol.

Ah memories

First one I remember is a Kriss (sp?) style with the wavy blade that my dad had. He was a somewhat avid collector of edged weapons. I was very young - certainly under 6 - so that’s all of 40 years ago.

First knife that I passionately liked was the 184 Buckmaster. I was about 11 or 12 and saw one at a gunshow with dad. I finally bought one about 5 years ago and As expected I still love it :)

First I can remember was a small fixed blade, believe it was a Buck. This was around 1965 so I was about 10. I don't remember where I got it or if there was a sheath. I remember throwing it down at the grass in the front yard and at trees trying to get it to stick. Don't remember ever trying to cut anything with it probably because it was about as sharp as a butter knife. I'm pretty sure that was my fault because I tried to sharpen it with my dad's wet stone. Got it taken away from me for doing something stupid.

Back