First look at Cold Steels Golden Eye Folder via KnifeNews.

Cool! What's the point though? Just asthetics? What is the significance of the little cut out in the brass coloured circle in the thumb hole? If you look closely you will see it is not a complete loop in the thumb hole. I just wonder what the features of the knife are.

If that brass liner rotates freely it might be a pinch and flick opener if you see what i mean. Or it rotates as you open so similar to a spydie hole. It looks to be S35vn too which is nice.

I love this. One reason my Cold Steels get less pocket time is I cannot easily flick them via thumbstud, mostly because I have small hands and my thumbs don't reach well. Hole openers work much better for, and this looks to be perfect. I will be getting this for sure.

It looks like the insert is a ramp shape like the thumb studs on certain ZT knives, giving you something to press your thumb against when opening.

If that brass liner rotates freely it might be a pinch and flick opener if you see what i mean. Or it rotates as you open so similar to a spydie hole. It looks to be S35vn too which is nice.

Yeah it seems to be a hybrid between both an opening hole and a thumb ramp, like mentioned above, similar to the design of the thumbstud on the Kershaw Blur and some ZT's?

I'm trying to understand the design of that clip with the bend where it is and the screw so low down. It seems like they intentionally made it higher-riding than necessary.

It looks to me like the pocket clip is the same as the one on the forthcoming Frenzy too.

An interesting design for sure.

I hope that they have the brass with a clear coating of some kind or else it will tarnish easily.

i dont get it? easier flicking open? that's the advantage? does nothing for me.

i reserve the right to change my mind down the road.

Some tanto blade profile likeness of the Emerson cqc7.
Flashy bling.
It's just so not me.
Figure I'll have to pass on this one.

I think the shape is nice, the drop point version interests me. Don't care about bling as long as the knife feels good and is in line with their good knives of the past in terms of build quality. There's too many little artsy hipster boys wanting knife art these days, i honestly hate that kind of thing. Only thing i'm not a fan of is the cheesy billboard names on blades. I'll still be picking one up.

This is the first time I've seen mention of the CS "Immortal". What do we know about this?

(Apologies for the hijack.)

It showed up on a distributor site last year along with the now revealed Frenzy, was described as a "folding gladius". Personally I'm hoping this will be their large tactical offering for 2017 since the Frenzy and Goldeneye seem so different from the usual CS fare of austere, form-follows-function combat folders. There simply must be something to replace the venerable Hold Outs, Recon XL and Talwars other than these ostentatious new knives.

Last edited:
As a self proclaimed biggest fan for CS folding knives, I'm usually extremely excited for any new models, even the Frenzy which is bigger than anything i'd ever buy. However, IMO this one looks meh for a few reasons:

1. I would much rather take just a normal opening hole. Honestly i've been praying for CS to release more opening hole knives, this is one of the reasons why i like Tuff Lite so much. However, this one seems overdone. Not sure if this is because they might run into trademark issue with Spyderco? Luckily the "eye" is made of brass and not steel, so i can already see myself removing it.

2. The blade to handle ratio seems WAY off, probably worse than the Ultimate Hunter. If you cut the blade from the picture and superimpose it on the handle starting from the pivot side, the blade probably terminates at the 3rd finger groove. I know that CS tends to have lower blade to handle ratio due to having a bigger tang for the Triad lock, and i like it, but this looks too disproportionate.

3. The pocket clip is an absolute deal breaker. I wished they would use the normal clip like on the Lawman or Recon 1. Why make is funky and incorporate the lanyard hole with the clip? The 3rd screw at the bottom is totally unnecessary IMO and assuming this is an 8+ inch knife, you will have probably 3/4 inch of handle sticking out of your pocket. They seriously should redesign the clip, it's one of the most horrible i've seen...

No offense Cold Steel & Mr Demko, i really love your design and i have bought every folder model less than 4 inch blade since 2010 when you guys started using Triad lock, but IMHO this is really a big miss for me... But hey, i'll probably still gonna buy both Spear Point and Tanto version. On the plus side, i'm glad that you guys are starting to use S35VN. Also the Tanto seems like it has a flat grind, like other high end manufacturers i.e. Benchmade & ZT use.

Please, if there is still time, fix that pocket clip......

As a self proclaimed biggest fan for CS folding knives, I'm usually extremely excited for any new models, even the Frenzy which is bigger than anything i'd ever buy. However, IMO this one looks meh for a few reasons:

1. I would much rather take just a normal opening hole. Honestly i've been praying for CS to release more opening hole knives, this is one of the reasons why i like Tuff Lite so much. However, this one seems overdone. Not sure if this is because they might run into trademark issue with Spyderco? Luckily the "eye" is made of brass and not steel, so i can already see myself removing it.

2. The blade to handle ratio seems WAY off, probably worse than the Ultimate Hunter. If you cut the blade from the picture and superimpose it on the handle starting from the pivot side, the blade probably terminates at the 3rd finger groove. I know that CS tends to have lower blade to handle ratio due to having a bigger tang for the Triad lock, and i like it, but this looks too disproportionate.

3. The pocket clip is an absolute deal breaker. I wished they would use the normal clip like on the Lawman or Recon 1. Why make is funky and incorporate the lanyard hole with the clip? The 3rd screw at the bottom is totally unnecessary IMO and assuming this is an 8+ inch knife, you will have probably 3/4 inch of handle sticking out of your pocket. They seriously should redesign the clip, it's one of the most horrible i've seen...

No offense Cold Steel & Mr Demko, i really love your design and i have bought every folder model less than 4 inch blade since 2010 when you guys started using Triad lock, but IMHO this is really a big miss for me... But hey, i'll probably still gonna buy both Spear Point and Tanto version. On the plus side, i'm glad that you guys are starting to use S35VN. Also the Tanto seems like it has a flat grind, like other high end manufacturers i.e. Benchmade & ZT use.

Please, if there is still time, fix that pocket clip......

good point on number 1., if brass ring is easy to remove? give us a spyderco style hole. this point is already changing the way i'm looking at the knife now......

also darn good points on #2 and #3.

I like it. But it looks like the Triad pin is really low...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back