First Look to TSProf Kadet

Disclaimer
The first look is written using publicly available information from TSPROF and photos taken on public trade show. EVERYTHING is subject to change because the product is NOT launched.

Highlights
TSProf has introduced new series of knife sharpeners - Kadet. Gritomatic has an opportunity to visit TSProf booth at Klinok, the largest Russian knife show. Despite some concerns over self-consistency in naming and positioning, we have to admit that Kadet is a marvel.

Design.jpg

There are two kits: Kadet Expert and Kadet Expert+. Kadet Expert is the barebone version with no stones, Kadet Expert+ is the version with diamond set and a screwdriver for clamps.

Kadet is fusion of TSProf K03 and Blitz. They took cons of both worlds: versatility and upgradability of K03, mobility and price level of Blitz. Kadet utilizes a shorter version of K03 crossbar and the Blitz guide rod with a stopper and a parking adapter. You can use any clamps made for K03 and the accessories designed for Blitz guide rod such as spring assisted stoppers made by Hapstone, convex adapter, and Blitz improved stone holder.

Kadet in TSProf product matrix
TSProf has revealed the pricing for Russian market in local currency. US and global pricing is always different in TSProf, but it does not matter. The revealed price is the level of Blitz 360. Kadet will be officially released in Russia in November. Until that moment, there is official pricing.

Mobility
Blitz is portable because it's small and foldable. Kadet is larger, but also portable. It's perfect to fit a customizable carry case. The rotating clamp system with crossbar is removable. The curved rail is foldable. The TSProf branded plaque is rubber dampener for the rail.

Disassembled.jpg

Kadet vs Blitz vs K03
K03 with stand:
Stand 9.5" x 8.7", Weight ~14 lbs
Kadet: Stand 7" x 5.3", Weight 4 lbs
Blitz: Stand 4.4" x 5", Weight 3.3 lbs
You can visually compare Kadet with K03 and Blitz by our side-by-side photos.

Comparison_-_Kadet_and_Blitz_1.jpg
Comparison_-_Kadet_and_Blitz_2.jpg

Comparison_-_Kadet_and_K03_1.jpg
Comparison_-_Kadet_and_K03_2.jpg

Specs
You can sharpen knife sharpeners of any type.
  • Sharpening angle range 8.5 to 28.5 degrees
  • Max blade spine 7 mm
  • Minimum blade length 1.2"
  • Maximum blade length 12"
  • Maximum blade width 1.5"
  • Maximum stone length 6"
With optional upgrades:
  • Scissors, shears and tools with the Small Table
  • Steep Full Flat Grind with K03 steel clamps
  • Fillet knives with K03 fillet clamps
  • Convex with the Blitz convex adapter
Kadet is smaller than K03. Some non-mainstream features are sacrificed:
  • 8" sharpening stones. We keep repeating - it's a useless feature
  • Extra wide and extra long knives. You can sharpen extra wide and extra long knives on Kadet with partial stone utilization.
  • Sharpening angles 30+ degrees.
Design
Kadet introduces innovative design of the rotating clamp system on the curved rail. When you move the clamp system up and down, the rail forces clamps to change the sharpening angle. For the best result, the cutting edge should be in the static point, the center of the curvature (let's call it G-spot). If the blade is clamped correctly, the guide rod will be frozen when you adjust the sharpening angle. It means you can "zero" a digital angle gauge on the guide rod.
Angle_High.jpg
Angle_Low.jpg

Upgradability
Kadet crossbar is compatible with any clamps made for K03 and some accessories for Blitz. LET'S TRY ALL OF THEM!
You can fit 4 clamps on Kadet crossbar. The central clamp and the small table consume 2 slots.

Stock Kadet clamps are smaller version of K03 wholemilled clamps. The length of stock clamps is dictated by a few factors related to new design.

Left-to-right: Stock Kadet clamps, K03 Wholemilled clamps, K03 Wholemilled Fillet clamps.

Comparison_-_Clamps_1.jpg

Stock clamps
Clamps_-_Stock.jpg

K03 Wholemilled Clamps
Clamps_-_K03_Wholemilled.jpg

K03 Wholemilled Fillet Clamps
Clamps_-_K03_Wholemilled_Fillet.jpg

K03 Straight Side Steel Clamps (AKA Double Clamp)
Clamps_-_K03_Side.jpg

K03 Y-shaped Central Steel Clamp (AKA Single Clamp)
Clamps_-_K03_Central.jpg

Stock Clamps + K03 Wholemilled Clamps
Clamps_Combo_-_Stock_and_K03.jpg

Double Clamps + Single Clamp (AKA Outdoorsman setup)
Clamps_Combo_-_K03_Classic.jpg

Small Universal Table
Clamps_-_Small_Table.jpg

Blitz Convex Mini-adapter
Convex_Adapter_1.jpg

Parking adapter (should be included in stock kit)
Parking_1.jpg
Parking_2.jpg

Final words

Don't wait Kadet sooner than in May.
Don't ask about price now.
Don't sell Blitz 360.
Don't worry about G-spot.

Do you have any idea on pricing and availability yet? Trying to decide between a Blitz or wait for the Kadets.

Do you have any idea on pricing and availability yet? Trying to decide between a Blitz or wait for the Kadets.
1) Kadet is still not available on the Russian market
2) Very high demand in preorders according to TSPROF
Until TSPROF fulfills the demand in Russia for direct sales and dealers, I doubt they will sell it globally.

"Don't wait Kadet sooner than in May." is still a good prediction.
My estimation for MSRP was 265 USD.

1) Kadet is still not available on the Russian market
2) Very high demand in preorders according to TSPROF
Until TSPROF fulfills the demand in Russia for direct sales and dealers, I doubt they will sell it globally.

"Don't wait Kadet sooner than in May." is still a good prediction.
My estimation for MSRP was 265 USD.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Awesome! Love to see new guided sharpeners.

I love my K03, and these new models look excellent.

There's something about the TSPROF line that just so...accessible

that photo showing the small universal table makes it resemble a velociraptor!

I went ahead and pre-ordered one after a lot of thinking about the various brands & models out there vs my needs. I'll certainly update the post/forum once I have it inhand to give some feedback.

TSPROF Web page says the preorders are shipping in April. Anyone receive thiers yet. Placed my order about a week ago, sharpener looks real good.

Gritomatic, I read your "About Gritomatic" on your page. Great info love to hear how folks, hard work pays off, hope to visit your online store more now thanks for the update.

What a coincidence, just read an email from Vladimir @tsprof. The email is basically a news letter but at the very bottom a red banner stating:

"We are postponing the start of sales TSPROF CADET to May 5th.
Free shipping for pre-orders"

Not what I was expecting but it is what it is. Since did the pre-order it's still better than waiting till they hit the shelves and then try to buy one. I predict the will sell fast. Read somewhere that they were actually pretty hard to aquire in Russia when they were first let loose, in November or December 2020.

Glad you have them but a bit of a bummer that ordering direct from tsprof like texbaz and I both did got delayed. When I pre-ordered mine a few weeks back I figured they would have them before you. Oh, well. Got a strop from you for it and also grabbed an Atoma 140 to flatten out some stones I have - used it to help reshape a tip of one of my kitchen knives today too.

Glad you have them but a bit of a bummer that ordering direct from tsprof like texbaz and I both did got delayed. When I pre-ordered mine a few weeks back I figured they would have them before you. Oh, well. Got a strop from you for it and also grabbed an Atoma 140 to flatten out some stones I have - used it to help reshape a tip of one of my kitchen knives today too.
When TSProf revealed the Kadet in October, they said "the wordwide availability - January". In my First Look dated October 28, I wrote "Final words: Don't wait Kadet sooner than in May."
My prediction comes from previous experience. I don't know why everyone expects no delays from TSProf because "delay" is the synonym of "TSProf".

LOL, I did not do any research into their delivery history - I'm not at all surprised it's delayed but just bummed that they fulfilled distributors before direct sales. I know how sales work so c'est la vie. Heck I saw I could have bought one two weeks ago on eBay if I wanted to pay ~+$40.

Icehawk, I'm right their with you. I really know nothing about TSprof sharpeners, watched some YT videos, from say Wranglstar, Simplelife, and quite a few what looked to be Russian videos that really got me interested, wish I could have confiqured them for english subtitles.

Actually,the simplelife video got me to looking for the pre-order and I fumbled my way over to Gritomatic. A day goes by and I decide Ill take the plunge, search again for TSprof Kadet pre-order and I landed at Tsprof web page, placed my order.

3 weeks ago they had a red banner saying all new orders will be delivered in April, But yesterday I get the news letter from Vlad,@tsprof saying its pushed to May. oh well I say, at least I'm in line to get one.Then Gritomatic lets us know they have them? Huh. As of right now TSprof has the Red banner on the pre-order page saying deliveries in April.

Look, its just sloppy Marketing as of right now. lets just hope we all get what we paid for, the machine is truly phenominal looking craftsmanship on the close ups, and the ease of setup are what got me.. And yeah if I would of had a better feel assurance from Gritomatic I would have much rather gotten from them. I didnt really pay much attention to "Final words: Don't wait Kadet sooner than in May." But I should have tried to understand it better now I do.

Oh, and this is my first and last pre-order I think. I read up on pre-orders before i bought and how they are suppose to work, they actually work differently then how I was expecting this one but, again I should have made contact with tsprof or even an email to Gritomatic lessons learned.

Icehawk, did you use the 2checkout format? I guess when they ship, tsprof will notify us via email, the receipts from, 2checkout and Paypal never indicated.

We have both Kadet Expert Kits and Kadet Expert Plus Kits in stock. They ship next day with free shipping in continental US.
George

Back