First non-S30V PM2

Looking to get my first PM2 that's in something other than S30V. The only one in stock is in Elmax from Bento Box. How's this one compare to the other sprint runs/exclusives? I don't see much about it so perhaps it's not very popular. Thanks in advance.

Many people don't like Bento Box Shop which is why I believe you don't see more of that model. I have one and I can tell you it has the best fit and finish of any PM2 I've ever owned. The only model I don't have/ or have had is the Blue version and the grey versions.

If you have the cash I would say go for it. Elmax is a nice steel, it's no CTS-204P but oh well.

What's with Bento...or is it taboo to ask? My only experience with elmax was ZT and I hated it..maybe it was just a poor example.

If you hate Elmax, the BBS PM2 is an odd choice for you....

Most people hate Bento Box Shop because their prices are insulting compared to every other retailer.
It's like they are saying "F*** You!" to their potential customers. Along with other shenanigans, such as "bundling" their exclusives.
That's right, that Elmax PM2 you are eyeballing was previously only available as part of a $300 "package deal" that included their dark blue FRN Lil Matriarch.

For $200, you could probably find something on the exchange forum that would suit you better.
But if you can't wait, or feel like giving Elmax another chance, go for it.
Just know that you are paying the full "sucker's price" for your knife :p

I think he just means that it's more than lots of the other sprints went for new. My CTS-204P was $149.95 if I remember correctly.

Keep your eye on the exchange here you can find anyone you want given enough time and at good prices to. Considering secondary market prices for most sprint's I don't think the $199 for the Elmax is that bad if you really want it. Their blue M390 was originally $189 now try to find one close to that price.

I think he just means that it's more than lots of the other sprints went for new. My CTS-204P was $149.95 if I remember correctly.

Yes but someone was selling 204P seconds for higher than that.

I think Elmax is a good steel for the PM2, its qualities are a good match for the PM2's geometry. But I'm not going to pay $200 for one.

Technically the brown PM2 is non S30V and those are fairly available.

Most people hate Bento Box Shop because their prices are insulting compared to every other retailer.
It's like they are saying "F*** You!" to their potential customers. Along with other shenanigans, such as "bundling" their exclusives.
That's right, that Elmax PM2 you are eyeballing was previously only available as part of a $300 "package deal" that included their dark blue FRN Lil Matriarch.

Not to mention their refusal to accept returns, making the buyer pay insurance, etc.

I bought a couple of the M390 Para 2s from them a while back and it was a smooth transaction. But I don't know if I'd be inclined to buy from them again due to their actions since then, such as the aforementioned bundling.

They're a terrible retailer and if you search on here you'll find some threads about why that is. The only thing they have going for them is that somehow they had exclusive sprint run PM2s including the blue one in M390. Aside from that one thing I don't see why anyone would purchase from them.

Maybe because they have some other great exclusives that interest people. The blue S90V military, the CTS-204P Domino and the PE blue lil' matriarch.

I really like ELMAX. Most of my experience with this steel has been with Zero Tolerance but I also love my ELMAX PM2. It is going to be pricier than the S35VN model but that's because there seems way more of the brown ones available compared to all of the sprints and exclusives so they're the most accessible non-production model. The ELMAX model is available right now via retail and it's going to be cheaper than any of the other non-production models that are only available on the secondary markets. Most of them are still going pretty easily for over 200 and some over 300 and even higher.

I found myself a 204p Para 2 here on the exchange a couple of months ago. It is my all time favorite knife and I'm so glad I sprung for it.

I have the ELMAX from BBS and frankly it's one of my favorite knives.

People whine about BBS, but reality is, they have a premium selection, however you pay for it.

I'm late to the game sometimes, so I have no complaints about having to pay a premium.

I don't like BBS for there pricing on products and freight. Just unnecessarily dear.
However I had to have an Elmax Para2 and I am very pleased with it, the best of my 3 Para 2's. Wish I had an S90V version though.

I think I'll look for the S35vn one. Not as expensive either.

At that point I'd just get the regular S30V model, I really don't think you'll notice a difference in the steel. Unless you prefer the brown scales, of course.

Back