First of the S110V Knives Finished

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I honestly feel this is about the most gorgeous knife I have made to date. This Ironwood has incredible contrast and figure. I have been really wanting a "Bowie" knife I could EDC. I wanted something with between a 4.5" and 5" blade and it had to have a bowie clip. This knife came out much better than I could have hoped.

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Long story short, I finished sanding and waxing the handles this afternoon and showed it to Mrs.Big Chris. She asked what I was going to do with such a pretty knife because I would ruin it with the way I use things and roll around on the ground and such. I made it with the intention to keep and carry, but with our current bad luck with vehicles it is going into the exchange only till Sunday afternoon/evening. There is no sheath and it will not be cheap but there may be someone who like it better than me. I told Robin earlier today that this knife had to have the most gorgeous wood I have ever worked with but also be the most difficult steel I have ever worked.
I look forward to your comments.

That is beautiful. That wood looks great and you can never go wrong with a clip point (in my opinion). Would you mind giving us your opinions on S110V and the benefits of it? Also, that pattern is awesome, I love to see more in the future.

Last edited:
I have not had the chance to use it much yet. I have made a few fuzz sticks, cut some cardboard and a hot dog.
What you should get from this steel though is the edge retention and cutting ferocity of 10V in a stainless steel.
For those of us that sweat alot, live in very humid areas or close to salt water it is a definite plus.
The down side is the lack in workability, but that has no bearing on the end user except for the cost to obtain a knife in the steel.

I have not had the chance to use it much yet. I have made a few fuzz sticks, cut some cardboard and a hot dog.
What you should get from this steel though is the edge retention and cutting ferocity of 10V in a stainless steel.
For those of us that sweat alot, live in very humid areas or close to salt water it is a definite plus.
The down side is the lack in workability, but that has no bearing on the end user except for the cost to obtain a knife in the steel.

It handled the hot dog like a champ. I know that is a serious test of a knife's ability.
:)

Really wonderful work put into this one. You really brought out the figuring in that handle!

I have never heard of your knives or seen one before, but this is gorgeous. I like it quite a bit, bowies and s110v are some of my favorites. Maybe i'll be able to afford one someday:D

Chris...I can't tell from the photos...are those antiqued flats? That's a sharp looking knife for sure :p

Chris there is nothing that can be said here except that you nailed this one in the bullseye. What an amazingly beautiful and functional looking blade. It looks like an exceptional cutter. I'm looking forward to your opinion of this steel as you make a few more and use them a bit.

How much more difficult was it to work with than 10V? Are those two steels the top 2 most difficult or are there any others that are similar?

S110V was much more difficult to work than 10V. It was harder to saw, drill, and grind.
The flats are not "antiqued" so to say, but I did leave the heat treat coloring on the blade.
This is a very lovely knife, both to look at and to hold.
I will be doing some cutting in the time to come and let you know what I think.

Strong work there, Chris. Can't wait to see what else is in the works.

Hey Chris, shot you an email about a knife few days back, have you had a chance to read it yet?

Sweet piece, Chris! I'm not surprised you pulled this from the For Sale thread, because I would have kept it, too.

Hey Chris, shot you an email about a knife few days back, have you had a chance to read it yet?

If you do not have a response from me by now I did not get it. I just went through emails and I think I replied to everything that needed replying to.
Be sure to use the address in my signature line.

Back