First post: Schrade 153 UH Date of manufacture

Hi to everyone. This is my first post so be gentle.

I first must say this is one of the best sites I've been on. I have found more info here than anywhere else that I have looked.

One of the knifes I have is a Schrade 153UH, S/N 48028.
I have not been able to date it.

Can you please tell me where to look it up?

Tell me the exact stamping on the blade. We might be able to come close.

Welcome to the Schrade Collectors Forum!

Contrary to what most non-collectors of all things Schrade might think, the earlier Uncle Henry and Old Timer knives were indeed serialized. Earliest production of the 153UH Golden Spike was marked with a serial number on a left guard front. The intent was to register and track knives for warranty purposes.

The highest serial number I have noted so far is #422056, though this most likely is not the highest serial number made. According to a Schrade newsletter, serialization was to have ended as of January 1st, 1980. It is not known yet for sure whether this production change was made just after that internal memo or some time later.

I've not yet done a complete survey of the production records for this pattern, so I can't tell you exactly what year yours was made. Most likely it was after 1972 (only a very few were produced with the Schrade-Walden tang stamp before the company name was changed to "SCHRADE" in 1973).

Can you post pictures of your knife and sheath? We might be able to tell you more about it if we can see it. And also the associated box and papers if you have them. Logos and slogans help pare down the date too.

Codger

After a bit of paper shuffling, pencil and head scratching and mumbling, I come up with your knife having been produced in 1977. I have a headache now.:eek:

24wrr15.jpg

Interesting Michael. Did they just serialize some of the Old Timers that were high end fixed blades?

Interesting Michael. Did they just serialize some of the Old Timers that were high end fixed blades?

Well, the first OT hunting knife was the 15OT. As far as I remember, serialization of OT knives began there. That was 1964. The 165OT was serialized from the beginning, 1966. We know that those patterns were not serialized after 1972. Serials on the 15OT may have ended even sooner. . The 153UH was the first fixed blade Uncle Henry pattern when it was introduced in 1973 and it appears to have been serialized from the beginning until the early eighties. Of course, the Uncle Henry pocket knives were serialized early too. The 897UH Uncle Henry Signature Premium Stockman was introduced in the 1967 catalog though production actually began several years earlier. I am not aware of Old Timer pocket knives being serialized.

6glid2.jpg

Good info guys. cbdb9112 is my father and I am sure he appreciates it very much. I know he was tied up tonight, but I will make sure he knows to check in.

Good info guys. cbdb9112 is my father and I am sure he appreciates it very much. I know he was tied up tonight, but I will make sure he knows to check in.

Hey...
No kids allowed. :D

Sorry, not a serious bone in my body tonight, but no x-ray to prove it!

Hi to everyone. This is my first post so be gentle.

I first must say this is one of the best sites I've been on. I have found more info here than anywhere else that I have looked.

One of the knifes I have is a Schrade 153UH, S/N 48028.
I have not been able to date it.

Can you please tell me where to look it up?

I actually have one with the above serial number. I bought it at a 2nd hand store and absolutely love it. Great size for everything I do with a knife. I can't even remember when I bought it, but it's been thru about 10 moves with me.

I actually have one with the above serial number. I bought it at a 2nd hand store and absolutely love it. Great size for everything I do with a knife. I can't even remember when I bought it, but it's been thru about 10 moves with me. First time here, so forgive any mistakes I made, thanx.

I actually have one with the above serial number. I bought it at a 2nd hand store and absolutely love it. Great size for everything I do with a knife. I can't even remember when I bought it, but it's been thru about 10 moves with me. First time here, so forgive any mistakes I made, thanx.

Welcome NyfLuver! This is indeed the place to discuss all things Schrade.

Hi from Australia, I have a 153UH, with no numbers, carbon steel blade and a brown box.
When did they change to Stainless Steel + blades? and when did they stop using the brown box? ... Ken

After a bit of paper shuffling, pencil and head scratching and mumbling, I come up with your knife having been produced in 1977. I have a headache now.:eek:
I have a friend that just picked up a 153 that has a serial number of 423809. I told him it was more than likely made between 1977 and 1980. I'm leaning towards 77/78.
Am I pretty close?

Thanks for this great thread.

Can anyone help me date a Schrade U.S.A.153UH with serial number 48005?

I had a knife like this back in the late 1970s. It was my EDC for several years. I bought this one on the bay a couple years ago. It looks the same as my 1970s version.

Back