First rat ordered!!

i ordered my first rat yesterday a rmd with brown blade and tan handle. Can’t wait!!! I am usually a folder guy have had a bunch of sebenzas etc but lately into spyderco for all of their steel choices. I plan on using it as a general camp knife/food prep if it will do all of them. From what I read the sr101 steel is based off 52100 which I love, now what is the recommended care you all use for keeping rust etc at bay? Any other general advice for its care? What’s the current turn around time?

I just received one 2 weeks ago and I think the turn around was 3-4 weeks on mine. The coating seems very good so just a little oil on the exposed parts. I have a generic spray bottle with some food grade mineral oil and it's lasted a long time for all of my carbon steel blades including several GEC's that I EDC and oil at least weekly while in use but every time after cleaning them. A single spritz into paper towel or tissue is usually enough to coat a blade.

Welcome to swamp. The RMD is an amazing all-purpose from what I've done with it so far. I've been comparing to my ratweiler, buck 119, and mora classic simply as a way to see what it does well compared to things I have. It's very much a master-of-nothing but decent at most things kind of knife. As a camp knife I think it's an amazing value if you start comparing it to things like esee and falkinaven.

I would recommend getting a sheath in advance because you're going to want to use it right away and the tactical cardboard sheath doesn't transport the greatest on a belt but it does okay in a back pocket.

roJbhspl.jpg

o0AYAjml.jpg

This is a JRE model N sheath, for reference. There are some good guys on here making some stock belt sheaths and kydex as well but I wanted a dangler and am pretty pleased with this off-the-shelf option.

i ordered my first rat yesterday a rmd with brown blade and tan handle. Can’t wait!!! I am usually a folder guy have had a bunch of sebenzas etc but lately into spyderco for all of their steel choices. I plan on using it as a general camp knife/food prep if it will do all of them. From what I read the sr101 steel is based off 52100 which I love, now what is the recommended care you all use for keeping rust etc at bay? Any other general advice for its care? What’s the current turn around time?

I love those muddy & tan combos. A little swipe of mineral oil on the exposed edge will do the trick, like bikerector said. Welcome to the forum.

I5FUMZy.jpg

It took my by surprise too. I wasn’t expecting to get charged for a few weeks at least

Just be careful... a lot of folks who ordered their first from the shop could not wait patiently for delivery and went on to exchange here to address the impatience... :D

The wait can be rough but it’s well worth it :) Ratmandu is a great knife !!

Do they make it without the useless annoying choil?? If so sign me up
Its amazing how 40 years of trapping, hunting, guiding for a few years and 14 years in a slaughterhouse
and never once did I wish I could "choke up on my blade"
Edge to the handle.....maybe a 1/4 in notch for sharpening makes it way more useable
For 20 years I have said since the choil was big......A good knife coiled is a good knife spoiled...why my rc6 collects dust

I certainly don't need a(nother) Ratmandu; but the addition of green and maroon micarta to the handle options brings back that familiar WANT.
Can anybody tell me how the maroon micarta looks? I got it on one knife (S.O.S.), and it was not even close to maroon... more of an ugly brown; but I've seen pictures that looked a lot better.

I certainly don't need a(nother) Ratmandu; but the addition of green and maroon micarta to the handle options brings back that familiar WANT.
Can anybody tell me how the maroon micarta looks? I got it on one knife (S.O.S.), and it was not even close to maroon... more of an ugly brown; but I've seen pictures that looked a lot better.
Here’s some with maroon handles. Personally I’ve had better luck with the maroon vs green. Some of my green came a little dry(?) some like a dirty green color.
2AAF3DBE-1EB4-42D4-B93E-5D8254C0267D.jpeg 6BDC4985-4947-4E9E-BA22-03674A500864.jpeg A372336C-EBED-4F78-B979-EE81B7289F85.jpeg

Can anybody tell me how the maroon micarta looks? I got it on one knife (S.O.S.), and it was not even close to maroon...

Hey HH,

The maroon has a lot of variation based on what I've seen. I was the taker on that SOS, very dark color, more purple than maroon, almost very dark brown/black with a light coat of mineral oil. Here it is with my other maroon handles after I sanded the scales:

156u25t.jpg

Hey HH,

The maroon has a lot of variation based on what I've seen. I was the taker on that SOS, very dark color, more purple than maroon, almost very dark brown/black with a light coat of mineral oil. Here it is with my other maroon handles after I sanded the scales:

156u25t.jpg
That BAe looks sweet !!! Deep maroon on that one :)

Back