First Scandi grind

SDS

Here is a special order knife that the customer designed. This is the first time I've tried a scandi grind and so far I'm happy with the way it's going. The handle combination was also the brainchild of the future owner.

The blade is 154CM with brass accents and many different layers for the handle.

054.jpg

This is a copy of the pattern I was sent.

040.jpg

Here is the blade after heat treat and with the handle materials stacked to see what they will look like. I may change the pommel a bit but it will be very close to this when finished.

042.jpg

043-1.jpg

038.jpg

As always opinions and critiques are requested.

Thanks for looking,
SDS

bang on Shawn. I really like the way you interpreted the handle design, The knife looks great. I also was going to tell you to have the spine straight (as the picture has a sloped spin) and you went ahead and did it anyway! it looks so good and i can't wait to hold it. Don't change the grind, that is plenty high enough. Looking forward to the knife

Gilles.

Awesome man. I'm glad you like the way it's looking. I'll keep you in the loop better on this and I'll hopefully get the handle assembled this week.

Stay tuned.............

SDS

hey you don't thave enough pieces in that handle. keep it up you're doing great.

I'll have to check the exact angle when I get back to the shop.

Mike, I counted and I thnk your right. Looks like I missed one. Let me know when you might be at coffee the next time and I'll try to make it over.

SDS

looks fantastic.
come on show the sanded handle

i do several Scandis and always enjoy combining the handle parts for interest

lokks like a good project for a pictorial tutorial...
photos of the clamping and bolster/butt are helpful
all good
nice blade shape too.
buzz

I like how the sharpened edge comes back almost to the handle. And the handle should be very attractive. Nicely done!

DancesWithKnives

Thanks for all of the comments guys. I'll try to remember to take the camera back to the shop when I start putting everything together so I can keep this thread updated.

Sharp Newbie, I haven't forgotten about your question. Just haven't had a chance to measure the angle yet.

SDS

Gilles, I finally got a chance to check the angle on the blade and it's right at 30 degrees. If you want it a little steeper let me know and I'll work on that.

SDS

I worked on it a bit earlier today and dropped it back to about 28. I'll see what I can do to bring it down a little farther.

SDS

Getting ready to start days off on Friday. Hope to get some more pictures up here this weekend.

Sorry for the delay.
SDS

Well I didn't manage to take the camera to the shop tonight but there isn't much to look at right now. I did grind the edge higher up so that the angle is shallower and tomorrow I hope to get some work done on the tang so I can assemble the handle.

SDS

Due to some unfortunate events I have not been able to work on this, or any other, knives this past week. I hope to have pictures to post within the next day or two.

Sharp Newbie, I sent you an email.

SDS

Back