First Solo Forge: count the mistakes

A tip Stacey gave me a long time ago... slowwwwww downnn!! Instead of trying to do 3 knives a week, try to make one that’s as perfect as u can get it. Try to control your hammer blows so when you finish grind you’re not left with those pits that don’t grind out.

Sam Salvati is a good man to learn from !
With all the hammer marks I wonder if the height of your anvil is correct. The hammer face should be parallel to the anvil + blade .That will reduce the problem.

Sam Salvati is a good man to learn from !
With all the hammer marks I wonder if the height of your anvil is correct. The hammer face should be parallel to the anvil + blade .That will reduce the problem.
Hmmm...that's an interesting point. I will look into that. Thanks.

So I'm about six months or so in now. Still making mistakes and figuring things out. It's a nice change of pace from my regular job as a fashion photographer. I have stuck to full tang which is all that really interests me at this point. Most of them have ended up being drop point and somewhere between hunters or a kitchen knives. This is recent which started out as the scrap end of a bar of 1080 that I didn't know would be long enough to make a decent shape. Walnut supplied by brother who is fine furniture maker.
SmWalnut_01.jpg

SmWalnut_02.jpg

I worked this larger one at the same time starting from a wider bar of 1080.
LGWalnut_01.jpg

And I like the look of this canvas Micarta. This was sourced from Jantz(?), but I am experimenting with my own layups of different material.
BlkMicarta.jpg

Still a lot to learn.

Back