First Week With A Large Sebenza

So i went through a similar period when I got my first CRK. I was used to beating on Benchmades and Spydercos (to their death.) but never a CRK. BellaBlades actually helped me out with a CF model which was nicer than my plain, so now I could just beat on my PJ21.

Thank you for all the responses! No worries. I'm definitely planning to use it and I sure appreciate all of you helping me get thru this debilitating phase of first-time CRK ownership.

You want to know what also really concerns me and could possibly be at the root of my anxiety? Sharpening. I know two things about sharpening knives: jack and squat and I'm a little concerned about using a Sebenza to learn on. I've got plenty of other, lesser expensive knives I can learn how to do it but, I would also appreciate your input on what method of learning worked best for you?

You want to know what also really concerns me and could possibly be at the root of my anxiety? Sharpening.

Same thing happened to me.

Step 1: buy a sharpmaker and proceed to round the tip of the sebenza. Swear.

Step 2: buy a cheaper knife to learn on. Try to get one that’s similar in size, with thumb studs that get in the way, etc.

Step 3: get good at the sharpmaker to touch up. Think you’re done.

Step 4: go back and touch up the sebenza and realize that the 20dps sharpmaker setting doesn’t hit the edge for half the blade. Swear again.

Step 5: buy the diamond sharpmaker rods and try to reprofile the sebenza to 15 dps. Spend hours and get an unhappy result.

Step 6: screw it. Spend hundreds on diamond and ceramic bench stones and about six months of practice to get good at them.

Step 7: finally get a screaming sharp edge on the sebenza using DMT benchstones, Spyderco ceramics, and 1 micron diamond paste on a basswood strop.

Total time elapsed: one year.

Same thing happened to me.

Step 1: buy a sharpmaker and proceed to round the tip of the sebenza. Swear.

Step 2: buy a cheaper knife to learn on. Try to get one that’s similar in size, with thumb studs that get in the way, etc.

Step 3: get good at the sharpmaker to touch up. Think you’re done.

Step 4: go back and touch up the sebenza and realize that the 20dps sharpmaker setting doesn’t hit the edge for half the blade. Swear again.

Step 5: buy the diamond sharpmaker rods and try to reprofile the sebenza to 15 dps. Spend hours and get an unhappy result.

Step 6: screw it. Spend hundreds on diamond and ceramic bench stones and about six months of practice to get good at them.

Step 7: finally get a screaming sharp edge on the sebenza using DMT benchstones, Spyderco ceramics, and 1 micron diamond paste on a basswood strop.

Total time elapsed: one year.

Love this post. So much truth to it; gave me a good laugh.

You want to know what also really concerns me and could possibly be at the root of my anxiety? Sharpening. I know two things about sharpening knives: jack and squat and I'm a little concerned about using a Sebenza to learn on. I've got plenty of other, lesser expensive knives I can learn how to do it but, I would also appreciate your input on what method of learning worked best for you?

If you are a moderate to light user-try not to let the knife get dull. Then all you need is to strop or light touch up with a sharpmaker .When you are learning slow is your friend-keeps you out of major mistakes. You also need to understand what you are trying to achieve. I went through decades of sharpening before I spent the time to do a little reading. Sharpening sounds simple and it is, but I didn't spend the time to understand even the basics.
If you are willing to throw down the bucks the Wicked Edge is a great system and easy to use, but start on the cheapo knives first-diamond stones can eat material fast.
CRK will sharpen it for free, but the cost is 2 way shipping and time.

Last edited:
...If you are willing to throw down the bucks the Wicked Edge is a great system and easy to use, but start on the cheapo knives first-diamond stones can eat material fast...
I’ve been wrestling with the same quandary (new CRK owner with squat for sharpening knowledge and skill). I’ve put many hours into research, thought this whole mess through a hundred times over and recently arrived at this exact decision. My next significant knife-related purchase is going to be a WE130. I’ve already got some cheap knives to practice and learn on, so I’ve already got ~5% of the involved cost covered.

Glad to see your post, as it tells me I’m on the right track. If I tried to put in the needed time to build proficiency with bench stones and freehand sharpening, my kids would inherit a bunch of dull knives.

Agree with the above!

If you touch it up when needed (before it’s too dull), the Spyderco Sharpmaker will keep your 21 going a long, long time. Buy yourself something with Aus 8, 8Cr13, or VG-10 that isn’t too thick behind the edge for practice. Those steels will take a good edge without heroic efforts and help biuld your Sharpmaker-foo.

Thank you for all the responses! No worries. I'm definitely planning to use it and I sure appreciate all of you helping me get thru this debilitating phase of first-time CRK ownership.

Sharpmaker or a Lansky. Keep in mind the blades are hand ground and have a slight convex edge. That means you first initial sharpening will take longer to make it a vee grind edge. Use a sharpie to mark the edge so you'll know you're getting the full edge and not just sharpening the shoulder of the edge. If you want to keep it convex, a mouse pad and sand paper is the simplest way. The KME does have a convex guide rod, it's more expensive than the Lansky.
In order to get better, sharpen more to master whichever means of sharpening you choose. You're going to get frustrated, have patience and don't be in a hurry. Lastly, there are some excellent threads in the Maintenance subform that will give you a better understanding of sharpening.

Good points on the sharpening guys. I didn’t have the patience to get my Sebenza sharp again from the factory edge on the sharpmaker so I found a local knifemaker to do my first intial sharpening and he put a 20* v-edge on it for me. Now I touch it up easily with the sharpmaker once a week.

“Aroused?” You got the fever now.

It's bad, too. The place where I bought it also has one of these:

NCCsQnQ.jpg

And I know that if I go in there today to check-out sharpening accessories, there's better than a 50% chance I walk out with that instead.

When you’re good at sharpening, try a 12 dps edge on the sebenza. If your uses for it don’t include cutting wire and staples, it’s plenty robust, and cuts like a laser. Once you get below 15 dps it feels like a different knife.

wwHXUBk.jpg

Wouldn't really call this a 'review' exactly. It's more 'random observations from a knife noob' than an actual review. A 'review' implies that I (kinda) know what I'm talking about and I don't. Not about knives anyway.

I still haven't been able to bring myself to carry it yet. I'm too much in the adoration phase of our relationship. LOL Did any of you also experience this with your first CRK, as in, this-knife-is-just-too-damn-nice-to-carry? If so, how long did it last? I'm keeping it in my briefcase (inside its box) for the time being but I'm really too busy at work right now to mess with it. Off work, though, that's quality time.

I've been opening/closing the blade about 50-60 times every evening and it's incredibly smooth now. I mean, it still takes a little effort to flick it completely open without a little wrist help but, WTH, I've got the thumb muscle memory now to open it smoothly in one continuous motion to get that metallic ca-chunk, like the cylinder of a Colt revolver locking into place. Damn. If it's wrong to be 'aroused' by that sound, I don't want to be right.

There cjomes a time in every knife boy’s life where he must become a knife man.

Just ask yourself, who are you saving that knife for in perfect condition that will enjoy it more than you will?

Congrats on your new Sebenza. This version of the Large 21 imo is the best version for a user. The sharpmaker is adequate for the L21 imo. I was using that system for a few years before I changed to the wicked edge which gives me more control on the results. As for using the sharpmaker, practice makes perfect and the more you practice it will be 2nd nature to you. Just be careful and just stop short before the blade tip lifts of the stones to minimise rounding of the tip. The more practice you conduct, the muscles in your arms will develope memory sooner than later.

I would also recommend you to get a proper wrench for the sebenza hardware. I am using 5/64" hex wrench #9002 by MIP. They have the best fit and very comfortable grip. This the only tool needed for the 21. As for the grease for the washers, the CRK is the best. A little goes along way. One only needs to disassemble the sebenza if required and for me its when WD40 could not get rid of grittiness when opening/closing. Once in a while, wiping down the whole sebenza with WD40 will darken the titanium slab and remove any foreign matter/ gunk/ lint etc. Using a CRK slip sheath also minimises micro scratches andrides more comfortably in the pants.

Congrats on your new Sebenza. This version of the Large 21 imo is the best version for a user. The sharpmaker is adequate for the L21 imo. I was using that system for a few years before I changed to the wicked edge which gives me more control on the results. As for using the sharpmaker, practice makes perfect and the more you practice it will be 2nd nature to you. Just be careful and just stop short before the blade tip lifts of the stones to minimise rounding of the tip. The more practice you conduct, the muscles in your arms will develope memory sooner than later.

I would also recommend you to get a proper wrench for the sebenza hardware. I am using 5/64" hex wrench #9002 by MIP. They have the best fit and very comfortable grip. This the only tool needed for the 21. As for the grease for the washers, the CRK is the best. A little goes along way. One only needs to disassemble the sebenza if required and for me its when WD40 could not get rid of grittiness when opening/closing. Once in a while, wiping down the whole sebenza with WD40 will darken the titanium slab and remove any foreign matter/ gunk/ lint etc. Using a CRK slip sheath also minimises micro scratches andrides more comfortably in the pants.

Thanks!

Yes, I spent about a half hour this afternoon talking about sharpening, types of steel and knives, in general, with the owner of the shop where I bought my Sebenza. He offered to do the first professional sharpening for free and after that it would be only $2 for each inch of blade. Turnaround time is 24 hours. That seemed quite reasonable. I still want to learn how to do it myself and now, after all your input and his, I'm not nearly as concerned about putting my knife to work. This first week has been rough, though! LOL

I ended up not getting the small Sebenza with the Damascus blade pictured above. It was already gone, thank God. Instead, I put 50% down on a small Sebenza (Insingo) with exactly the same kind of micarta inlays as my Large.

qvBkcec.jpg

Looks like you're headed in this direction.;)

It may take a little while to get there but, yes, I'm probably headed in that same direction. Having an authorized dealer five minutes from home, while dangerous to the wallet, is very convenient. The FFL I use for transferring regulated firearm purchases is only a block down the street from his shop, too. Win win.

But I do appreciate all the responses to this thread. Thanks again for indulging such a clear case of the nervous nellys and for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Back