• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Fishin1635 online store ? And Varenik* - Ebay flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you are referring to my post I made because fishin1635 followed mine with a post. I was never mentioned in this thread previously and have never been labeled a flipper by name anyway. I only spoke up because of the comments about people that primarily use the exchange and don't participate in the other sub-forums. I don't sell knives on ebay or AAPK. I have resold knives on the exchange just as many of you have as well. I was only trying to shed some light on why some of the newer members here, like myself (1yr) came to find the exchange very helpful in acquiring knives that are hard to find otherwise. If you don't want to sell to me, that's fine and if I am put on some members "do not sell to" list, then that's fine with me also. I can't control what others think or do. I didn't just find this thread, but when it changed from flipping to changing the rules to not allow newer members the opportunity to use the exchange unless active in other areas, I gave a different opinion. But I guess that is discouraged here.

This just comes off as "I want to be able to buy up knives from Bladeforums without being a contributing member of the community, and don't like the turn this is taking where it's being suggested that people should actually be contributing members of this forum before they can snap up a bunch of knives, especially worrying since a senior admin of this board already refused to sell to me in a public fashion since I tried to call him out on it and got smacked instead."

Run on sentences, distasteful but useful in some cases.

This just comes off as "I want to be able to buy up knives from Bladeforums without being a contributing member of the community, and don't like the turn this is taking where it's being suggested that people should actually be contributing members of this forum before they can snap up a bunch of knives, especially worrying since a senior admin of this board already refused to sell to me in a public fashion since I tried to call him out on it and got smacked instead."

Run on sentences, distasteful but useful in some cases.
And that is where I recognized the name RICK RYAN RICK RYAN ! What an unflattering display, to say the least...

I was wasn't smacked by anybody. My biggest problem with that sale wasn't that I didn't get the knife, but they way it went down. No explanation of why I was skipped over until I protested and asked a reason for it. If he had stated that only active members are eligible to purchase then I would understand, but under the rules he listed I didn't see where I wasn't allowed to buy it. I had PM'd him 3 hrs. before he posted the winner and he never responded to my PM. By selling to the next guy, it is easy to assume that I didn't meet his criteria listed in his post and therefore I must be a flipper on Ebay or some other knife site. Find one and post it. He should have closed the comments and addressed his problems with me in a PM. If you don't want new people to buy off the exchange, then change the membership qualifications. I have not broken any forum rules, yet I am be called out as if I did. I understand your point very well. I tried my best to explain why I haven't been an "active member" and I would think after these last posts, I am giving you what you want- participation.LOL

I was wasn't smacked by anybody. My biggest problem with that sale wasn't that I didn't get the knife, but they way it went down. No explanation of why I was skipped over until I protested and asked a reason for it. If he had stated that only active members are eligible to purchase then I would understand, but under the rules he listed I didn't see where I wasn't allowed to buy it. I had PM'd him 3 hrs. before he posted the winner and he never responded to my PM. By selling to the next guy, it is easy to assume that I didn't meet his criteria listed in his post and therefore I must be a flipper on Ebay or some other knife site. Find one and post it. He should have closed the comments and addressed his problems with me in a PM. If you don't want new people to buy off the exchange, then change the membership qualifications. I have not broken any forum rules, yet I am be called out as if I did. I understand your point very well. I tried my best to explain why I haven't been an "active member" and I would think after these last posts, I am giving you what you want- participation.LOL
You have posted more times in this thread than you have in the entire Traditional forum the entire time you have been on BF. You clearly are an eloquent and thoughtful person, we just would like you to bring that to the conversation about traditional knives, for which we all (you included) have a great appreciation.

By selling to the next guy, it is easy to assume that I didn't meet his criteria listed in his post and therefore I must be a flipper on Ebay or some other knife site.

Correct about not meeting the criteria, but incorrect about the reason. It was pretty clearly called out in the listing "A first "I'll take it" DOES NOT mean I will sell to you, I will look at your posting history before I decide who to sell to." Since you don't participate in the Traditional section, he decided to sell to someone else that does. Pretty simple.

Your desperation in that thread was plain for anyone to see. The fact is, you should already understand why you were passed over. Also, I find it hypocritical and actually disgusting that you were attempting to call out a respected member (who also happens to be an admin) because he wouldn't sell you a knife. You aren't part of this community, and have made it clear that you have no interest in being so. Frankly, I hope no one on Bladeforums sells to you ever again. No one owes you any explanation. "He should have closed the comments". He was under no compunction to do anything you wanted him to do.

Let's be honest, you're clearly a flipper who's selling knives elsewhere and got mad that you were denied the ability to make a quick buck turning around and selling a BF knife elsewhere at a profit. That's why you got upset.

And that is where I recognized the name RICK RYAN RICK RYAN ! What an unflattering display, to say the least...

Yep. "I demand to know why you won't sell me this desirable knife at a deep discount, despite the fact that I'm upfront about not caring about Bladeforums or the community it represents. I'm not here to participate, just here to buy awesome knives for cheap, and I demand that you explain to me why you won't sell me a knife."

Ridiculous, really. A dude who's main argument seems to be "I'm a member of OTHER knife communities, and have no desire to be a part of this one" should maybe eff off back to those other communities and buy knives there then. Ohhhhh, oh right. Most other communities are full of frauds, flippers, scammers, and scumbags. No wonder most of these leeches show up here and start soaking the Exchange so hard.

I understand that anyone can sell to whomever the choose, even if not stated in the post. How I am supposed to know what he means by checking the posting history? Maybe all the "regulars" knew what he meant, I surely didn't. He didn't explain anything before posting his decision and only several comments later did he finally say it was because I don't participate in any forum discussions. My wife said I was crazy for trying to explain myself. I guess she is right, this time. I appreciate all the fine knives I have been sold here and couldn't have built the collection I now have without this forum's help. So instead of keep beating my head against the wall, I will just let my membership expire and stick to my FB groups. It has been fun ride.

I understand that anyone can sell to whomever the choose, even if not stated in the post. How I am supposed to know what he means by checking the posting history? Maybe all the "regulars" knew what he meant, I surely didn't. He didn't explain anything before posting his decision and only several comments later did he finally say it was because I don't participate in any forum discussions. My wife said I was crazy for trying to explain myself. I guess she is right, this time. I appreciate all the fine knives I have been sold here and couldn't have built the collection I now have without this forum's help. So instead of keep beating my head against the wall, I will just let my membership expire and stick to my FB groups. It has been fun ride.

Great, seeya!!

I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days, and I wonder if there isn't a way in which regular community members can salvage some of the spirit of the exchange without having to make up a lot of rules or require that everyone have the same expectations for community that not everyone is going to share, or that put a difficult, if not impossible, burden upon moderators.

The "Want to buy" and "Want to trade" portions of the forum seem a little undervalued in my opinion because often the number of views a thread there will have is far, far behind a general sales thread in the exchange. I think it would be easy for those folks who wanted to avoid flippers, non-participants, and other "outside of the community" folks to make more use of the "want to buy" and "want to trade" sections. You'd have to be more intentional by asking for or offering things and have the same caveats you would put into a sales thread, but I think the traffic there is much less, and if the "regulars" want to help one another out, that's a place that is already designed to work that way. You won't be able to stop newbies who post in the exchange from having their sales swiped by flippers, non-participants, etc., but those who have become a part of the community can more easily deal with one another using the less frequented method.

I think you will find it easier to carve out a place for your community to operate as you want it to than trying to convince people to operate according to your community norms--norms that may not be possible (or desirable on the whole) to make permanent rules, anyway.

I think the regular members can feel fine using the exchange and they don't need to change. Trying to lockdown the board just because of a few bad actors is an over reaction.

As long as we have threads like this and the mods and admins and supers do their thing we'll be good.

The rip off artists always out themselves.

I think the regular members can feel fine using the exchange and they don't need to change. Trying to lockdown the board just because of a few bad actors is an over reaction.

As long as we have threads like this and the mods and admins and supers do their thing we'll be good.

The rip off artists always out themselves.

I don't think that all of the folks that are buying up knives quickly are flippers. Some are just knife junkies with time and cash to spend. The Exchange will remain a place for non-flippers to come to buy knives without participating in the community as long as the prices remain reasonable and the number of sales threads continues at a steady pace. I don't see that as a problem so much as an economic fact. For those who are bothered by non-community members buying up all of the knives, I'm just say that another current option is to use the other exchange forums to try to work with committed members to buy, sell, and trade the knives they want.

Got a busy day at work but I do look forward to getting home and addressing some of this.

I don't think that all of the folks that are buying up knives quickly are flippers. Some are just knife junkies with time and cash to spend. The Exchange will remain a place for non-flippers to come to buy knives without participating in the community as long as the prices remain reasonable and the number of sales threads continues at a steady pace. I don't see that as a problem so much as an economic fact. For those who are bothered by non-community members buying up all of the knives, I'm just say that another current option is to use the other exchange forums to try to work with committed members to buy, sell, and trade the knives they want.
I think if folks with the right membership level want to buy, trade, or sell they should make more use of tagging in links in their signature line.

That way if you're in the Beerscout thread looking at the pics you'd see what any regular poster in that thread was looking for on the exchange.

Then second work out a way to integrate the tags better into this. Right now it just seems like the tags are an afterthought and half the time used by other parties in a malicious manner.

Instead of just camping out in the exchange and tapping the refresh button to catch any Northwoods the minute they pop up.

So you didn't understand and your immediate reaction was to lash out at a 20 year BF veteran who the owner has chosen to oversee the entire forum? Maybe a PM or even a polite, "I don't understand..."

That told me all I needed to know.

Maybe if you were a little more of a "regular" you woulda' understood what he meant to begin with. I did and I knew right away why he skipped you. I think you're proving his point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back