• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Fishin1635 online store ? And Varenik* - Ebay flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s kind of funny considering he was viewing your profile roughly 15 minutes ago. Guess I should have took a screenshot, hate to be labeled a liar again :rolleyes:

He sure did ,left a couple posts there about leaving. I don't think he knows those are not private. I don't believe he will be a great loss.

I think if folks with the right membership level want to buy, trade, or sell they should make more use of tagging in links in their signature line.

That way if you're in the Beerscout thread looking at the pics you'd see what any regular poster in that thread was looking for on the exchange.

Then second work out a way to integrate the tags better into this. Right now it just seems like the tags are an afterthought and half the time used by other parties in a malicious manner.

Instead of just camping out in the exchange and tapping the refresh button to catch any Northwoods the minute they pop up.

I agree wholeheartedly with the signature line use. That's another good way of keeping the exchanging of knives among community members if you want to do so. I've used that method, but honestly, a couple of the best exchanges I've had were in the "want to trade" and "want to buy" sections where folks who were aware of who I was from the traditional forum reached out to me because I posted something I was looking for there.

I understand
No, you really don't.

So you didn't understand and your immediate reaction was to lash out at 20 year BF veteran who the owner has chosen to oversee the entire forum? Maybe a PM or even a polite, "I don't understand..."

That told me all I needed to know.

Maybe if you were a little more of a "regular" you woulda' understood what he meant to begin with. I did and I knew right away why he skipped you. I think you're proving his point.
Exactly.

One thing all this proves is that flippers, and those who are here only for the exchange really don't care to understand this community.

I think the biggest issue here is that BladeForums is:
A knife enthusiast discussion forum that happens to have an Exchange portion.

It is NOT:
A knife exchange site that just happens to contain some random knife talk.

If a member has a $200 knife listed at $120 they are offering a service to fellow members. The flippers just see a quick $80 profit and can't wrap their head around how much of a slap in the face it is to the seller AND the other contributing member that would have been able to get a deal on an item they will likely keep or offer back to the group.

I read this whole thread after being alerted by another forum member.... GECs got me back into collecting in early 2019, so my posts in that time frame are heavy on the buying/selling in traditionals. I was doing fine building a collection - getting bargains here and on Ebay...and yes, I've sporadically sold here and on Ebay. I go to the "bay" when I can't move something here. Over 18 years on the forum I haven't been a huge poster as I prefer to read threads and pm back and forth with many of the friends I've made here.

All this being said, the majority of my posts since early last year have been related to buying & selling. For me, there was a casual air to things until the end of summer in 2019. From then on, all the people who have been discussed here either joined or got so aggressive that I just gradually gave up trying to buy anything at a reasonable price. It's supposed to be fun - not a contest where the contestants are primed via their computers or devices to instantaneously yell "Take!" or my favorite "Take all!". Remember when you had time to be polite and write "I'll take it"?

It's gotten as bad as Northwoods drops and, if anyone has noticed, prices on those and "prime" GECs (here and Ebay) have doubled or tripled since the beginning of 2019. Ebay in particular has gotten absurd. All this and the antics on the For Sale: Traditionals have not been kind to the "community" atmosphere.

Last edited:
if I have knives I want to sell, no more first 'I'll take it' rule. Owning knives is a hobby for me, and dealing with other folk who feel similar is part of the reward. I have to deal with all manner of folk, working in retail, where I don't really have the option, (most times) of telling people to pack sand.
Not like I sell a lot of knives, but when I do it makes me happy to find them a good, new home where they'll be appreciated properly

My biggest problem with that sale wasn't that I didn't get the knife, but they way it went down. No explanation of why I was skipped over until I protested and asked a reason for it.
You didn't like the way the sale went down but I've had several Traditional "regulars" contact me through PM thanking me for the way it went down... I'm quite content with that.

I also gave you a reason why I passed over you but apparently that wasn't good enough, not long after you insinuated that I was a liar and questioned how I became a "super" moderator.
I had PM'd him 3 hrs. before he posted the winner and he never responded to my PM.
Those three hours I spent taking pictures of another knife and listing it for sale, going through post histories and doing a few thing around the house that I wanted to get done. I work on my time frame, not yours.
He should have closed the comments and addressed his problems with me in a PM.
Why should I have closed the comments, you and your supporters had no problem expressing opinions for everyone to see... why would I want to stop that by closing the thread and going to PM. It started for everyone to see, might as well keep it that way.
How I am supposed to know what he means by checking the posting history?
You didn't know what "checking post history" meant... yeah, we'll go with that :rolleyes:

As far as that "flipper" label you and your supporters were going on about, if I really wanted to flip the knife I would have had my daughter list it on eBay under her account that has no ties to me whatsoever... the last three have sold for $400, $410.99 and $365, I didn't do that because of the agreement I entered into in the ordering thread, I place more value on my word than a few dollars.

Oh, one more thing... you made reference to "Spark" in a earlier post in this thread. Next time you're at the shop, ask him how he likes his 2019 forum knife, he's the one I gifted my other one to ;)

@RICK RYAN Carl's one of the top folks on this board, both in class, and in quality. Trying to call him out (especially when you're spinning a false narrative) or infer that he's a flipper is a great way to get yourself put on a permanent no-fly list with many of us, and I mean many as "most of the people on this board". So, good luck with that.

I understand that anyone can sell to whomever the choose, even if not stated in the post. How I am supposed to know what he means by checking the posting history? Maybe all the "regulars" knew what he meant, I surely didn't. He didn't explain anything before posting his decision and only several comments later did he finally say it was because I don't participate in any forum discussions. My wife said I was crazy for trying to explain myself. I guess she is right, this time. I appreciate all the fine knives I have been sold here and couldn't have built the collection I now have without this forum's help. So instead of keep beating my head against the wall, I will just let my membership expire and stick to my FB groups. It has been fun ride.
If you participated in the community here it would have been very clear what he meant. Those who know, know.

If you participated in the community here it would have been very clear what he meant. Those who know, know.
I agree as well but paying attention to the culture of a community also helps. After joining the forum a few years ago I realized there are a core of long time members who have forgotten more about knives than I’ll ever know. So I decided to pay attention. Though I’m not as gregarious as many here, I’ve always tried to be polite and willing to help and most importantly learn.

@fishin1635 hey I appreciate you coming to say your side, but you have some more questions from members. I Would appreciate if you could respond.
Also that 77 smooth autumn bone you snagged last week was my old one- you got my friendly price as well. If you’re gonna flip it you can just send her back home to papa :D

a member just messaged me and told me that Varinek (Valera) been doing the same thing on Facebook groups as well- and he’s been kicked out of all but two groups.
also, his transactions all go through his wife (Irina). Knives get shipped to her as well.
So a heads up in case he comes back under another username.

a member just messaged me and told me that Varinek (Valera) been doing the same thing on Facebook groups as well- and he’s been kicked out of all but two groups.
also, his transactions all go through his wife (Irina). Knives get shipped to her as well.
No doubt he has an elaborate excuse for all that too. :rolleyes:

@fishin1635 hey I appreciate you coming to say your side, but you have some more questions from members. I Would appreciate if you could respond.
Also that 77 smooth autumn bone you snagged last week was my old one- you got my friendly price as well. If you’re gonna flip it you can just send her back home to papa :D

Makes sense now. Thought it was weird a dude was named Irina.

Anybody see the BF 86 on eBay for $500? If he is a member here ban the low life from ever buying a forum knife again. Unbelievable.
I don’t know if he’s a member here or not, but he also sold this knife for a grand (or at least it was listed as that and sold)

BD9A56D8-F6B3-44EB-A4EF-E02744698CDD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back