Fishing 2017

Walleye are in the Perch family. Headed to N Dak, Devils lake, this weekend to chase jumbo perch. Pics to follow.:thumbup:

Wish I had seen this sooner. I woulda bought you a beer! I'm from Devils Lake. Looks like you had fun!

I actually ventured away from the big lake yesterday and hammered bluegill. The lake I fished has tons of gills but no big ones. I kept 9 of them right around 7".

I wondered if the big lake had Gills; guess that answers that. Big ones are hard to come by. Nothin wrong with those fish.:thumbup:
I actually ventured away from the big lake yesterday and hammered bluegill. The lake I fished has tons of gills but no big ones. I kept 9 of them right around 7".

I wondered if the big lake had Gills; guess that answers that. Big ones are hard to come by. Nothin wrong with those fish.:thumbup:

I wish it did, but they aren't far. They were pretty tasty!

The main fish in DL are pike, perch, walleye, and white bass. We have a few hidden crappies, muskies/tiger muskies, and a few rough fish as well.

Wow! Mewolf1 you and your boy hammered some nice perch! :thumbup:
Nice Bluegills ac700wildcat. Gonna target them for the first time this spring

I love panfish! Bluegills, perch, Crappie offer more fun to me than many large fish. I can get 50+ panfish in a few hours ( catch and release) and I pefer that action to a few bass after the same time.

I like seeing the gills .

They are so fun to catch too! We had a blast and are planning a return trip on Sunday. This lake is mostly a recreational lake and doesn't really get fished and it shows. There are tons and tons of smaller bluegill and tiny perch. It has a healthy pike population and they can't even keep them under control. I figure I probably won't make a dent, but I may as well do my part to try and lower the population and get some tasty meals as well. The game and fish actually recently stocked it with some musky to try get the numbers down too. It would be cool if a guy could go catch some 10 or 11 inch gills someday. They would certainly be a blast to catch and release.

Got out again today, might not last much longer as it is getting into the 50-60F range.

16806850_1626973533984734_4431618879459890157_n.jpg

16832185_1626973593984728_7601062392648208675_n.jpg

16832371_1626973477318073_5669427691495377063_n.jpg

16681937_1626975020651252_6715476056104634716_n.jpg

Those are some nice gills! I wish they were that big in the lake I've been fishing. It would certainly make the effort to clean them more worth while.

Bait gathering that turned out to be more. Over 20kgs of Southern Calamari caught in less than 30 minutes at the change of tide off a pier in Sorrento Vic using Green Yazuri prawn lures and 8inch long fresh silver whiting (called Bonefish in America) on a squid jig suspended a meter off the bottom with a large foam float. The larger Calamari/Squid love the slender Bonefish we have (Silver Whiting). The Sth Calamari is the most tender eating squid in Australia, and by far the most expensive. Fresh Oceanic Arrow Squid sometimes sells for a TENTH the price of the Southern Calamari which is mainly caught in bays and whose swimming flaps run down the ENTIRE length of its body instead of just the top portion of the body, as do all other species of squid here. I kept the 4 largest ones for bait and a few of the smaller ones for WHOLE baits, and the rest ended up on numerous dinner tables. The smaller they are, the more tender; melt in the mouth with just two or three minutes of frying. No other squid here can cook like that.

afc9y8.jpg

And one caught off the rocks by a mate a few years ago, I kept the picture because it looked neat.

w89fs7.jpg

2kg Southern Bream from the Patterson River in Vic. in Spring caught on a large live Bass Yabbie.

2v3t09l.jpg

Recent bass caught in my back yard canal system. Lost an even bigger one.

Attachments

• IMG_1219-001.jpg
    IMG_1219-001.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1221-001.jpg
    IMG_1221-001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 24
I hope to catch some Largies and Bluegills for the first time this summer. There are only a couple of lakes up here that have them.

Fishing season(everything but trout) ends Sunday till Mid May so I had to make one last push. Two lakes in less than 24 hours and about 70 fish was a great way to end the season. Here's a couple of highlights.

Had to end with some big ol bees. These guys are a blast to catch and in ridiculous numbers too.

untitled_zpst6jy2jgx.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Some Nice perch to fill the gaps between Tulibees

perch_zpsfduondci.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Our "Livewell" didn't work too well haha. It usually does! And is also a great way to protect the trophy fish while getting ready for a pic and healthy release.

livewell_zpslyhvqp8p.png
[/URL][/IMG]

They came home with me anyways.

perches_zpsynwu9fgs.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Gotta get some walleye for the freezer. Tons of eaters all day and a surprise Burbot(poor mans lobster).

walleye_zpskx2qq3py.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Just realised this thread has no Brook Trout. Can't have that as they are my favourite! Caught a lot between 14-18 this year but nothing over 20 inches. These are from a few weeks ago.

Brookie_zpsma2bkfyg.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I sight fish for Brookies because the water is so clear you can see right down to the bottom. Wish I had a better pic for you guys, its really cool and a lot of fun.

Sight%20Fishing_zpsahfc3pa7.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Hope everyone had a safe and successful hard water season! I'm guessing most are done with ice fishing? Looking forward to the spring fishing-especially Sturgeon and Monster Crappie and lakers and smallies and.....

Last edited:
Big yellow perch there!!!! Please post the Monster Crappies when you get them!

Back