Fishing 2017

The last trout fishing day of the year. My little brother caught his first rainbow ever. 24 inches and 4 pounds 12 ounces.
20170811_133926-XL.jpg

He's a chef and former restaurant owner. look what he did with the trout.

20170812_193947-XL.jpg

20-21 in. fish I caught a couple 15-17 in. fish and a couple 12-13 in. caught on a motor oil w/ black specks bass stopper rigged worm and the little aluminum cuban yoyo reel in the picture I also caught 20-30 bluegills and 5 10-11 in. bass on the 2 tenkara rods I took first time to get to use my Christmas fishing gear

wyCxO8W.jpg

20-21 in. fish I caught a couple 15-17 in. fish and a couple 12-13 in. caught on a motor oil w/ black specks bass stopper rigged worm and the little aluminum cuban yoyo reel in the picture I also caught 20-30 bluegills and 5 10-11 in. bass on the 2 tenkara rods I took first time to get to use my Christmas fishing gear

wyCxO8W.jpg

Quick question about your Yoyito: given the position of the finger holes, can you point the face straight forward for casting?

After couple of years or no-rod/reel, I am now averaging 90-100 foot casts with the regular 6" Yoyo using 30lb Big Game, a bit more with Kastmasters, and again a bit more casting downwind. Still have to play with the 9" Yoyos ("saving" those for the surf).

Quick question about your Yoyito: given the position of the finger holes, can you point the face straight forward for casting?

After couple of years or no-rod/reel, I am now averaging 90-100 foot casts with the regular 6" Yoyo using 30lb Big Game, a bit more with Kastmasters, and again a bit more casting downwind. Still have to play with the 9" Yoyos ("saving" those for the surf).
Yes it takes a little practice if you are use to the 6" yoyo's . First thing I did when I got mine is take 50 ft of line off it . only thing I see is with fingers holes you have to turn it to let line spool over the lip to let a fish run . Where with a 6" yoyo you can let the spool turn in your hand and apply pressure better . It is a great little reel to throw in your pocket to have with you . If I am fishing for big catfish I stick to the 6" and 9" reels

Went fishing on Tuesday but my Walleye spot was iced over but not thick enough to drive on yet. Went for white fish an hour away instead. That's it for open water up here, first whitefish ever and 8 total was my last open water fishing trip of 2017. Cant wait for ice fishing this week! 2017 has def been my best open water season with lots of new species and personal bests. Best a luck out there guys! Anyone else gearing up for the hard water season?

It's been a hot rainy summer here. All the rain poring into the local canals shut down the bass fishing. Now that the rainy season has officially ended and the weather is cooling a bit the bass have started to move into the local canals again.
ioEcHqm.jpg

Nice one Ryan. What state are you fishing in? Here in SW FL bass fishing is just starting to heat up; pre-spawn fishing.

I fish in MN. The bass don’t get nearly as big here as they do in Florida! And my lakes are getting ice on them right now, so bass fishing is done for me until opener in the spring.

How am I just now finding this thread?!?
I caught my biggest brown Sunday, kype jaw and everything! I was nymphing with my 3wt armed with 6x tippet. I wasn’t targeting anything too big. I decided to throw a little booger on my euro leader since the bugs weren’t working.
I haven’t experimented with streamers on my tightlining setup much. I was just getting the feel of whipping that mono rig when this ~20” brown slammed my fly!
poxc8GZyj

It was the longest 5 minutes of my life!

How am I just now finding this thread?!?
I caught my biggest brown Sunday, kype jaw and everything! I was nymphing with my 3wt armed with 6x tippet. I wasn’t targeting anything too big. I decided to throw a little booger on my euro leader since the bugs weren’t working.
I haven’t experimented with streamers on my tightlining setup much. I was just getting the feel of whipping that mono rig when this ~20” brown slammed my fly!
poxc8GZyj

It was the longest 5 minutes of my life!

Very cool, must have been a blast on your three weight.

How's the grayling for eating? I've never had it.
I’ve never eaten one either...that was a lucky fish, we didn’t even know they were in there. We let em all go, though. This stream gets light pressure and I’d like to keep it that way! I’ve always thought grayling meant good, healthy water...sure hope so cuz this gem deserves it! But I’ve heard grayling outta good cold water are tasty.

This is in Wyoming. No 3 wts for us...we’re using 5’s.

I didn't know you had grayling in Wyoming. Now I do. We eat grayling quite a bit and they are delicious. You should eat them fresh though. They don't freeze well, too tender.

The ice fishing has been great so far.
20171211_154853-XL.jpg

20171211_154747-XL.jpg

These are rainbows and land locked silvers. The two biggest rainbows are 24 1/2 and 23 1/2 inches, 5 pounds and 4 pounds 3 ounces.

20171210_174445-XL.jpg

This rainbow is 28 inches long and weighs 7 pounds, my biggest ever through the ice. What fun to catch.

Back