Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Logan is learning to edit our films. He is excited to have you guys check out his new video of our day fishing in North Carolina out on the gulf stream for Tuna.

Let me know if this link works for you. The big action is at the 4 minute mark. He wants to see lots of views and subscribers. And since he is learning and creating, I am supporting his efforts. He is 13 years old and has a head for technology stuff.

Last edited:
There's a few bear walking the woods. We're between seasons though so I've had time to get some things cleaned up.

UkDdPzAl.jpg

beDtpOul.jpg

Logan is learning to edit our films. He is excited to have you guys check out his new video of our day fishing in North Carolina out on the gulf stream for Tuna.

We hope to add knife videos, and hunting as well.

Let me know if this link works for you. He wants to see lots of views and subscribers. And since he is learning and creating, I am supporting his efforts. He is 13 years old and has a head for technology stuff.

Nice work Logan!
Looked like a fun and fruitful day.

We hope to add knife videos, and hunting as well.

Let me know if this link works for you. He wants to see lots of views and subscribers. And since he is learning and creating, I am supporting his efforts. He is 13 years old and has a head for technology stuff.

He did a great job on that video!

Looks like you guys had some fun, thanks for sharing.

Posted some photos in the other thread but thought I should keep those to knife pics.

Sheep were a bust as far as legal (full curl past the nose for Stone’s sheep) rams went, but the trip was excellent overall. Great to get out and check some new area and figure out where they are hanging out at.
Pulled out early due to weather; pouring rain (20mm/24hrs which is a ton) and then it was going to snow; which it did quite a bit trapping some sheep hunters put there.
All in all, covered about 110kms (65 miles I think?) in about 6 days and got to see a bunch of mountain caribou bulls, rams, ewes, lambs, fox, porcupine, whitetails, and beaver. Lots of elk bugling around my lower elevation camp in the valley as well.
Have some gear switches to do and a better plan of attack for the next trip. Might try again in Sept but for sure next year.

Wokkpash Hoodoos
E12852A6-96F0-4262-98E1-14315B5CCD18.jpeg
Stunning views from the alpine:
3E3DB940-0A94-4858-9AF1-4DB04FC83A59.jpeg
Several river crossings; many of them getting to the depth of unsafe (over waist deep and rolling bowling ball sized rocks within):
972176CC-A3FC-403F-8FDA-970FF491C59D.jpeg 4CDBB57C-8F7B-420A-93ED-D0CBF0ED1B9E.jpeg
Hard to see but there are 8 sheep in there:
53C5B10F-326A-4741-BCCF-A5DD0BD4226B.jpeg
Pouring rain, defeated and starting the 2 day hike out (25-27 miles):
052080DC-F08C-4DEA-AB30-A9E9DF710983.jpeg

Have to mention steel of course. Brought the HDFK as my only real knife (Outdoor Edge game knife doesn't count!). Overall happy with that decision but for deer hunts this year I am going bowie (MC) and FK. More fires for cooking and no tent which I feel the MC will be great for sheltercraft.

Thanks for looking!
Andy

Posted some photos in the other thread but thought I should keep those to knife pics.

Sheep were a bust as far as legal (full curl past the nose for Stone’s sheep) rams went, but the trip was excellent overall. Great to get out and check some new area and figure out where they are hanging out at.
Pulled out early due to weather; pouring rain (20mm/24hrs which is a ton) and then it was going to snow; which it did quite a bit trapping some sheep hunters put there.
All in all, covered about 110kms (65 miles I think?) in about 6 days and got to see a bunch of mountain caribou bulls, rams, ewes, lambs, fox, porcupine, whitetails, and beaver. Lots of elk bugling around my lower elevation camp in the valley as well.
Have some gear switches to do and a better plan of attack for the next trip. Might try again in Sept but for sure next year.

Wokkpash Hoodoos
View attachment 1182488
Stunning views from the alpine:
View attachment 1182489
Several river crossings; many of them getting to the depth of unsafe (over waist deep and rolling bowling ball sized rocks within):
View attachment 1182490 View attachment 1182491
Hard to see but there are 8 sheep in there:
View attachment 1182492
Pouring rain, defeated and starting the 2 day hike out (25-27 miles):
View attachment 1182499

Have to mention steel of course. Brought the HDFK as my only real knife (Outdoor Edge game knife doesn't count!). Overall happy with that decision but for deer hunts this year I am going bowie (MC) and FK. More fires for cooking and no tent which I feel the MC will be great for sheltercraft.

Thanks for looking!
Andy
Man, it’s absolutely beautiful out there! Thanks for posting those shots.

A few more shots.

Awesome valley here for spotting but horrible for making any kind of play pending legal rams being present: 8DEDAABE-4439-46CC-83E4-DE6FE917F28B.jpeg

Beneath where I am pointing is the trail down the hill to this cabin:
1214D863-1B8F-426A-9299-1F03D5EE01C7.jpeg

Can still glass for sheep and goats even while it is raining:
04C1258C-86E5-435C-95F7-F39CA6A88D41.jpeg

HDFK getting that woodstove lit and fed:
0B1E82E3-ADC3-4C23-9877-792C83E44E23.jpeg

Very cool alluvial fan coming out of the hills:
AFD30FE0-FFDD-408C-A023-4844AACEC676.jpeg

And of course a cool knife pic!
37582FFA-828B-48D4-8450-2D8C24A20ECD.jpeg

A few more shots.

Awesome valley here for spotting but horrible for making any kind of play pending legal rams being present: View attachment 1182572

Beneath where I am pointing is the trail down the hill to this cabin:
View attachment 1182571

Can still glass for sheep and goats even while it is raining:
View attachment 1182570

HDFK getting that woodstove lit and fed:
View attachment 1182569

Very cool alluvial fan coming out of the hills:
View attachment 1182568

And of course a cool knife pic!
View attachment 1182567

Thanks for sharing these pics. I really enjoyed living vicariously though them for a few moments. :)

I missed where this is if you posted earlier. Is that cabin private, or a Forrest Service cabin?

First time running crocs for me and they are a must for water crossing. No way you could go barefoot with 65lbs+ of gear on your back and keeping those boots dry is a priority

Did they hang on your feet good Andy? They look like they're pretty good and thick for protecting the bottoms of your feet. I've always just used an old junk pair of lace-ups but the thought of no drying time is appealing.

Off topic: I'm trying to be better about when I look through posts and they remind me of a good tip, safety hint, etc. to actually share it, instead of just absorbing it myself. So on the subject of river crossings...…..we had to do several gnarly crossings this spring when the water was ripping. Part way through the season, when I'd been guiding for awhile and getting tired, I forgot to unbuckle the chest and waist straps on my pack during a crossing. I remembered fast enough when I about went down and couldn't shed the pack. Stupid stupid stupid. Get that sumbitch loose so that you can kick out of it. Anyway, I hope mentioning it puts it on someone's radar who might need it. Back on topic!

Thanks for sharing these pics. I really enjoyed living vicariously though them for a few moments. :)

I missed where this is if you posted earlier. Is that cabin private, or a Forrest Service cabin?

Park Rangers cabin that is also co managed with the guide outfitter (says in the log book going back to the early 90s). No recent guide activity it looked like though

Did they hang on your feet good Andy? They look like they're pretty good and thick for protecting the bottoms of your feet. I've always just used an old junk pair of lace-ups but the thought of no drying time is appealing.

Off topic: I'm trying to be better about when I look through posts and they remind me of a good tip, safety hint, etc. to actually share it, instead of just absorbing it myself. So on the subject of river crossings...…..we had to do several gnarly crossings this spring when the water was ripping. Part way through the season, when I'd been guiding for awhile and getting tired, I forgot to unbuckle the chest and waist straps on my pack during a crossing. I remembered fast enough when I about went down and couldn't shed the pack. Stupid stupid stupid. Get that sumbitch loose so that you can kick out of it. Anyway, I hope mentioning it puts it on someone's radar who might need it. Back on topic!

Really good for staying on the feet if you get the right size, and the cushion part helps take the weight.

I realize with river crossings all the safety says to leave your pack unbuckled but with the heavier weights you are more likely to bail because the pack is swinging around from what I have found.
Trekking poles are also a must for maintaining balance on those slick rocks and so you can lean upstream into the current

Really good for staying on the feet if you get the right size, and the cushion part helps take the weight.

:thumbsup: Thank you!

I realize with river crossings all the safety says to leave your pack unbuckled but with the heavier weights you are more likely to bail because the pack is swinging around from what I have found.
Trekking poles are also a must for maintaining balance on those slick rocks and so you can lean upstream into the current

The trekking poles would be a great idea. Or a guy could cut poles as needed if material was available. For me, not having ten hounds trying to cross at the same time would help a lot :D

:thumbsup: Thank you!

The trekking poles would be a great idea. Or a guy could cut poles as needed if material was available. For me, not having ten hounds trying to cross at the same time would help a lot :D

I never used trekking poles for 40+ years. A few years back I tried a pair on a multi-day hike with a fifty pound pack. The first day they were annoying. By the end of the second day I wondered how I had gotten by so many years without them.
If I’m going out for more than a day hike I take, and use, them every time.

Back