Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Wrecked the edge of my nice GB hatchet chopping through bone. :/ Never tried that before, aaand won’t again. Need a CPK hatchet!

This little guy is all joy in deer skinning and processing. 👍

PrUr89jl.jpg

Another successful thermal hunt up in OK. Got done at 3AM this morning and made it back to Dallas by 6AM just in time for a nap before the kids got up.

qR7kUBK.jpg
G'day mate great haul for the night, I was wondering if there is a feral pig meat industry there. Im not up to date on prices here but I used to get $4 a kilo here in Australia for a dressed pig.

Another successful thermal hunt up in OK. Got done at 3AM this morning and made it back to Dallas by 6AM just in time for a nap before the kids got up.

qR7kUBK.jpg
Nice, a lot of work ahead of you there.

I am thankful that I never had a thermal optic when I was younger, nothing would have been safe or sacred, the maturity just wasn't there. I am sure I would have gotten arrested for being on a night time safari at the national zoo or one of the local petting zoos. Now that I have one and am older and wiser, I am sure I can get away with it.

G'day mate great haul for the night, I was wondering if there is a feral pig meat industry there. Im not up to date on prices here but I used to get $4 a kilo here in Australia for a dressed pig.
That’s a great looking hog. Our guide has had people buy them from him at $90usd per hog over 100lbs but it isn’t too common and he doesn’t advertise it.

Nice, a lot of work ahead of you there.

I am thankful that I never had a thermal optic when I was younger, nothing would have been safe or sacred, the maturity just wasn't there. I am sure I would have gotten arrested for being on a night time safari at the national zoo or one of the local petting zoos. Now that I have one and am older and wiser, I am sure I can get away with it.
We just cut the backstraps out and dumped them. With the feral hog issue in the region a lot of people leave them where they lay. I want a thermal so bad after using these. I’d be happy just shooting coyotes and rabbits at night.

We just cut the backstraps out and dumped them. With the feral hog issue in the region a lot of people leave them where they lay. I want a thermal so bad after using these. I’d be happy just shooting coyotes and rabbits at night.
I'm with you mate it was messy work dressing them, shooting any pest is a great time. Thermal sounds like fun. We just use spotlights here

A friend and I trapped fourteen one night in the middle of August several years ago. This was in the humid as all hell piedmont region of Virginia when we were in a stretch of high 90 degree days. That was a miserable experience working them up, so I feel your pain.

The cost on thermals has come way down in the past ten years, get one and don't look back.

A friend and I trapped fourteen one night in the middle of August several years ago. This was in the humid as all hell piedmont region of Virginia when we were in a stretch of high 90 degree days. That was a miserable experience working them up, so I feel your pain.

The cost on thermals has come way down in the past ten years, get one and don't look back.
Thermals are amazing. How affordable (relatively speaking) they've become for Joe Average is incredible.

Decades ago, we used one of the handheld thermals (the type typically used for things like industrial surveying/inspection etc.) to check modifications on race cars. Made it easy to see at a glance how well ducting mods etc. were affecting heat dissipation, looking for potential problems before they resulted in parts failure...

Those units cost ~$30+k and were only 320x240 (state of the art back then). Nowadays, the cheapest 320x240 unit I've seen is the Seek IR Compact Pro.

Handy little units that use your smartphone as the display, using their Seek Thermal app. It just plugs into the phone and you can use it to check all sorts of things, from looking for heat signatures outdoors, to insoecting your house/buildings for missing/inadequate insulation and air leaks, checking equipment to look for overheating electronics, excessive friction, checking autoparts etc. (Obviously, a little education on things like reflectance, emissivity etc., helps).

And yes, thermal sights/scopes are awesome for pest control.

Beautiful Fall (aka Autumn to those correctly versed in the English language!) pic at an undisclosed location (the bottom of the property!) at our little slices of land by the Smith River, Crescent City, CA. The recent heavy rains have made the place very green again but causing havoc with a badly leaky roof! Mr. Brotherman is there fixing his roof and he's the one who took the pics. I am stuck down south "living the dream". Apologies for the Walmart knife pic but he's just not into our hobby. I've tried and he just scoffed at me, "how much?!" Some peep are just born unsophisticated with terrible taste in sh*tty knives!

Y9ECWG5.jpg

J0MmNI8.jpg

ETA: if Nathan ever does a fillet knife, I can try again to bring his laggard arse on board ;)

Beautiful! Get yourself up there and don't ever leave.

Nice pink too :thumbsup:

That would be quite nice my friend of the David fame but someone has to look after an 80 YO frail Mom who can't live up there in the elements, plus I may have to address my own bum right knee (seriously) before I live where there will lots of ascending / descending on dangerous rocks and things. Lastly, wanna pay my bills? I take PayPal, Venmo and ApplePay 😂

Thank you for the nice words :)

That would be quite nice my friend of the David fame but someone has to look after an 80 YO frail Mom who can't live up there in the elements, plus I may have to address my own bum right knee (seriously) before I live where there will lots of ascending / descending on dangerous rocks and things. Lastly, wanna pay my bills? I take PayPal, Venmo and ApplePay 😂

Thank you for the nice words :)

Yep, got to take care of the older folks. My dad's 83. He goes over once a week and plays music and sings for the 'old folks' as he says, at the care center. I think most of them are younger than he is lol. Well, it's a beautiful place and I hope you get to enjoy it as much as possible. Those kind of spots are good for the soul. Cheers.

Beautiful Fall (aka Autumn to those correctly versed in the English language!) pic at an undisclosed location (the bottom of the property!) at our little slices of land by the Smith River, Crescent City, CA. The recent heavy rains have made the place very green again but causing havoc with a badly leaky roof! Mr. Brotherman is there fixing his roof and he's the one who took the pics. I am stuck down south "living the dream". Apologies for the Walmart knife pic but he's just not into our hobby. I've tried and he just scoffed at me, "how much?!" Some peep are just born unsophisticated with terrible taste in sh*tty knives!

Y9ECWG5.jpg

J0MmNI8.jpg

ETA: if Nathan ever does a fillet knife, I can try again to bring his laggard arse on board ;)
Is that fish from this river? wow! that's amazing scenery and an amazing location

Greetings all.

Here is a little update from the hunting in central Missouri. Weather has been wonderful this fall. Dry through August, but then mid September we got therians that the food plots needed. The Alfalfa and the Kale and the Turnips went nuts.... We planted about 15 acres this year. The deer love the nutrition and it gives us a great opportunity to glass the fields and see what around.

The "smalls" get to hunt the early youth season. The deer are into the "chase stage" and then thus weekend the serious rut started.

The "smalls" are the young ones. Austin and Abigail are married now, and the next set are hunting. Youth season is for up to 15 years old. Archery season is also running.

When I was this age, getting an 8 point in PA would bring all the neighbors over. We were tickled to shoot a spike buck in the mountains of central PA back then. I only ever saw our group get 1 8 point in many years of hunting. these youngsters are spoiled rotten and don't even know it. They get dropped off and picked up a their stands, and don't know what "dragging" even is. Kaya and I had to drag her deer about 60 yards, and she was wondering how we would do it? hahaha.

Here is Logan's first archery deer. He is 15 years old now, and 6 feet 7" tall. He has a lot of back and joint pain, and still muscles on through.

xUIq5Hr.jpg

Here is Logan and Kaya's youth season buck from this past weekend.

TsHSHfU.jpg

Here is their buck from 2020 youth season.

zlu0Ocy.jpg

My nephew Ashton got his second buck in youth season.

AsslKzU.jpg

My nephew Connor got his first buck.

TrzafqM.jpg

Back