Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Whew 14000 feet! My lungs would be screaming. Nice pics TR

It's definitely the thin air you notice most. The climb itself was pretty mild, a little rock scramble approaching Class 2, here and there, but nothing terribly challenging. But your heart is pounding in your ears pretty much the whole time.

What is amazing/infuriating/awesome/disgusting is to see the "I'm training for the Pikes Peak Marathon" crowd. These studs (and studettes!) literally scamper up this with nothing but a few ounces of water. Full-on beast mode!

Again, no hunting or fishing, just enjoying the great outdoors. 14,336 feet atop La Plata in the Sawach range in Colorado. This is a view toward Mt. Elbert, the tallest peak in CO off in the distance.
View attachment 742716
Oh..lee..sheeeit.. my soul hurts looking at that. I feel like a moth looking at a picture of a forest fire..

It's definitely the thin air you notice most. The climb itself was pretty mild, a little rock scramble approaching Class 2, here and there, but nothing terribly challenging. But your heart is pounding in your ears pretty much the whole time.

What is amazing/infuriating/awesome/disgusting is to see the "I'm training for the Pikes Peak Marathon" crowd. These studs (and studettes!) literally scamper up this with nothing but a few ounces of water. Full-on beast mode!
Those Pikes Peakers are friggin nuts!
Every time I went up there, I had a headache for the rest of the day.
I did set my best downhill mountain bike speed of 42mph on it though because it had better straights than Vail or Breckinridge.

Back to page one!

While I'd like to think it's my fishing prowess that has the trout biting, it's most likely the strange celestial happenings....

pcFhtkE.jpg

3Zmz6U3l.jpg

QCc465O.jpg

Not much game moving, but it was still nice to do some scouting.

p6g8hw0.jpg

A lonely turkey vulture, regretful that it's still preseason.

weFHZYY.jpg

Back to page one!

While I'd like to think it's my fishing prowess that has the trout biting, it's most likely the strange celestial happenings....

3Zmz6U3l.jpg

QCc465O.jpg

Not much game moving, but it was still nice to do some scouting.

p6g8hw0.jpg

A lonely turkey vulture, regretful that it's still preseason.

Thanks for those. Thats inspiring. specially the trout pics. i have never caught ones like that. It's on my bucket list. The boys are n Kellogg Idaho today and Trout Creek MT tonight.

No stopping in Wallace!
(Old joke from the days when prostitution was legal...)

Hahahaha! A man that knows the country :D

Thanks for those. Thats inspiring. specially the trout pics. i have never caught ones like that. It's on my bucket list. The boys are n Kellogg Idaho today and Trout Creek MT tonight.

Sweet! Hope they had a good trip over the pass. There's some good fishing where they're at all along the Clark Fork.

Hey everyone,

I don’t post much.. mostly read everything around here.

I guess it’s appropriate I post this in your thread, Brian77 Brian77 ! Went camping/fishing in the High Sierras a couple of weeks ago. Was AMAZING up there! And got lucky with the trout – caught limits both days I was fishing there. I was with friends, so together we did pretty well.

Now, I had two knives with me (well, I had a third, but it’s not part of this story J) that I used to clean/prep the fish for dinner and other camp chores: my user CPK FK and Brian’s Field Knife in CPM 154! I have to tell you, both did an amazing job and they were a pleasure to use! I’ve been using the CPK FK for quite a bit, so no surprises – my buddy was using it to clean some of the fish and his was saying wow-wow every 20 sec LOL. I was using the HawCreekBlades (Brian’s) FK - it was sharp (great edge, Brian) and remained that way after two days of fish cleaning, food prep, some whittling for the fire, etc. Again, thanks a lot for the knife, Brian!

All in all, it was great fun and want to thank both CPK (Nate, Jo, Lorien and Mark) and Brian for all the great tools they make for us!

I’ll leave you with a few pics – not the greatest quality, they're phone pics, I rather carry a second knife than my decent camera :D!

upload_2017-8-22_23-4-55.png

upload_2017-8-22_23-5-13.png

upload_2017-8-22_23-5-47.png

upload_2017-8-22_23-5-54.png

upload_2017-8-22_23-6-4.png

upload_2017-8-22_23-6-12.png

Cheers,
C.

Hey everyone,
I guess it’s appropriate I post this in your thread, Brian77 Brian77 ! Went camping/fishing in the High Sierras a couple of weeks ago. Was AMAZING up there! And got lucky with the trout – caught limits both days I was fishing there.

I had two knives with me that I used to clean/prep the fish for dinner and other camp chores: my user CPK FK and Brian’s Field Knife in CPM 154! I have to tell you, both did an amazing job and they were a pleasure to use! I’ve been using the CPK FK for quite a bit, so no surprises – my buddy was using it to clean some of the fish and his was saying wow-wow every 20 sec LOL. I was using the Haw Creek Blades (Brian’s) FK - it was sharp (great edge, Brian) and remained that way after two days of fish cleaning, food prep, some whittling for the fire, etc. Again, thanks a lot for the knife, Brian!

All in all, it was great fun and want to thank both CPK (Nate, Jo, Lorien and Mark) and Brian for all the great tools they make for us!

I’ll leave you with a few pics – not the greatest quality, they're phone pics, I rather carry a second knife than my decent camera :D!

View attachment 754267

View attachment 754268

View attachment 754270

View attachment 754273

View attachment 754271

Cheers,
C.
Again I am jealous of the fishing reports! C CataD Thank you for this mention. I am grateful and humbled.

Cleaning fish or animals with a quality blade is a pleasure. And having a friend along that has never used one, and that keeps commenting about the edge, is double the fun!

Love the pictures.

Now, I had two knives with me (well, I had a third, but it’s not part of this story J) that I used to clean/prep the fish for dinner and other camp chores: my user CPK FK and Brian’s Field Knife in CPM 154!

Very cool C CataD ! I had forgotten it was you that bought that one of Brian's. It sure looked like a great all-around blade!

Nice fish, too man. I love seeing these reports from around the country. Thanks for sharing that, and I am in full agreement on:

:D :thumbsup:

Again I am jealous of the fishing reports! C CataD Thank you for this mention. I am grateful and humbled.

Cleaning fish or animals with a quality blade is a pleasure. And having a friend along that has never used one, and that keeps commenting about the edge, is double the fun!

Love the pictures.

Very cool C CataD ! I had forgotten it was you that bought that one of Brian's. It sure looked like a great all-around blade!

Nice fish, too man. I love seeing these reports from around the country. Thanks for sharing that, and I am in full agreement on:

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks HK! Yeah, I got it not too long ago and I'm glad I finally had a chance to use it a bit :) It is a great all-around blade, that's for sure!

Glad you like the pics, Brian77 Brian77 , was great fun!

Cheers,
C.
p.s Thanks everyone that liked the pics :)

We went fishing the last 2 days in NC. Oregon Inlet. It was rough yesterday leftover from Hurricane Irma. Bit we did pretty good.

Today we had great weather, and much nicer seas. The fishing turned out to be xcellent. We limited out by 9 on Mahi Mahi, and then got into Tuna at 10. Then at 1 we caught a 6.5 foot long White Marlin. Was quite a day.
c93n1q2.jpg

T1quS9o.mp4

ZjP2MGl.jpg

I haven't been deep sea fishing in over 10 .. ugh..actually 15 years. Looks like it's as fun as I remember!

So I'm completely ignorant of the tuna species. Are those albacore? <--probably demonstrating my ignorance there with the guess :D

Nice catch ... looks like you had a great day on the water ... :thumbsup:

I've got my last fishing trip this weekend just a near by lake for walleye ... before I switch gears to hunting ... and some new blades to put to work.

Back