Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Thanks for sharing your story. I can't wait to go on my first elk hunt. You both sure are lucky, and definitely made some great memories!

For sure! I hope you'll share your trip whenever you get to go after elk. Lucky and blessed, no question about it :thumbsup:

Mind if I ask what Rifle and Caliber you were using? Just Curious

Not at all. My buddy that we were hunting with that day, his boy also has a tag in that same unit so he had all his equipment along. He has a nice Browning bolt action set up for long range where we can range the target and dial the scope. I wasn't familiar with his rifle, so he did all the doping while I ranged the animal, and I'm not sure his exact model of Browning or the scope Tom, sorry. I do know that he had a higher end Leupold scope and that it was chambered for .300 win mag. shooting handloads with Berger bullets. It also had a muzzle brake. The muzzle blast wasn't bad (I was surprised) and I asked my mother about the recoil, and she said it didn't seem to kick worse than her .243, but maybe that was just the adrenaline talking lol. I think I need to spend some money to up my game on this longer range equipment that is available now though. Some of it is insanely good.

rodriguez7 rodriguez7 Hey man, saw you posting and wasn't sure if you'd come across this thread yet. Hope you're having a good season and can put some stuff up here. Cheers.

We had 1 elk tag this October, and got nothing! I have a deer hunt this next weekend, so I’m hoping for something, I’ll also be carrying a bear tag. Then I have my yearly matanza, butchering a pig in December. I’ll get some shots of some of my work, and hopefully my deer!! I’m nowhere near the ability of Nate. But I’m enjoying it.

We had 1 elk tag this October, and got nothing! I have a deer hunt this next weekend, so I’m hoping for something, I’ll also be carrying a bear tag. Then I have my yearly matanza, butchering a pig in December. I’ll get some shots of some of my work, and hopefully my deer!! I’m nowhere near the ability of Nate. But I’m enjoying it.

We got in a good bit of bear hunting. Our deer population got hammered by the heavy snow last winter, so we're going a ways North to try to fill out on whitetail. My father has a good muledeer buck tag that runs way late, so I want to make sure he gets some time out when they're rutting. Maybe some of your pictures will show the knives you made in use, that'd be cool. Take care and good luck!

I don’t get out as much as I like, but I got this guy earlier in the year while bow hunting with some buddies.

I was side hilling solo up a valley about an hour into the first day of our hunt, enjoying the peace and quiet, when I spooked a herd of Javelina about 40 yards below me in a ravine. They were hidden in the brush below and I had no idea they were there. They scared the living *%~ out of me when they went off, hoofing and barking.

They knew something was up but weren’t quite sure what. I backed out of the area, put the wind in my favor and was able to stalk back in on them and arrowed this guy at 30 yards.

They are tough little buggers and a blast to bow hunt.

505D40D1-7D9C-4467-A38C-CF55F7E8CDF3.jpeg BC263E02-02B9-450E-9B90-13FB55476BA0.jpeg

Attachments

• A191CC2D-EA69-462D-BC5B-AFA9ECC0C1A1.jpeg
    A191CC2D-EA69-462D-BC5B-AFA9ECC0C1A1.jpeg
    709.5 KB · Views: 4
:D :thumbsup:

Man I'd hate to get bit by one, they look wicked. Nice shot placement! What do you suppose it weighed?

Thanks. I'd guess this one was about 50-ish pounds. They are badass, kind of like a smaller wild boar. We've had em as close as 5-yards snapping their chompers at us. It's pretty intimidating, but luckily they're usually all show.:D

Nice buck Kyle!!

Thanks. I'd guess this one was about 50-ish pounds. They are badass, kind of like a smaller wild boar. We've had em as close as 5-yards snapping their chompers at us. It's pretty intimidating, but luckily they're usually all show.:D

Very cool. Thank you :thumbsup:

Nice deer! How did the FK do with processing him?

Nice buck Kyle!

Thanks fellas. The FK has now processed 7 so far this year and absolutely shined like a diamond in doing so. Still shaves arm hair. Now I did strop the factory edge when I got it to refine and convex it a tiny bit but that’s it. It hasn’t been touched since and the edge holding and toughness is absolutely superb.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. The FK has now processed 7 so far this year and absolutely shined like a diamond in doing so. Still shaves arm hair. Now I did strop the factory edge when I got it to refine and convex it a tiny bit but that’s it. It hasn’t been touched since and the edge holding and toughness is absolutely superb.

That's great to hear. I have only managed to process a turkey so far with mine...the frozen, Thanksgiving kind. :confused:

Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving! We have been having fun and a house full of guests. From PA, MD, WV, and elsewhere... It's kind of crazy around here during hunting season and Holidays.

My friend and his son came out for opening weekend of whitetail rifle season. The rut was slow and late this year for us. Both he and his 20 year old son got nice deer. It was his sons first deer ever. A mature heavy racked buck.

Both or my brother-in-law's also got a nice deer.

The rest of us helped and also got some deer...

Hope all is going well with you guys...

JkflxoT.jpg

FHe5GZx.jpg

dd7lAkh.jpg

j01e4Jp.jpg

Back