Fishing Pics 2015!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What patterns are you using in lakes?

If there is a hatch happening I'll try to match that usually. On days when there doesn't seem to be much hatching and I'm not seeing surface activity I'll use a searching pattern or just one of my go to ones. I really like the woolly bugger, and leech patterns in general seem to produce well, even though the lakes around here don't have leechs in them. This guy was taken on a size 12 marabou leech pattern in black

:thumbup: I suspected something in a Streamer pattern. One of my fishing partners reads a lot; told me about a fellow that tried an experiment using 'Black only" in ALL his Flies, dry or otherwise for an entire season. Apparently he saw no decrease in the number of fish caught that year. :cool:
If there is a hatch happening I'll try to match that usually. On days when there doesn't seem to be much hatching and I'm not seeing surface activity I'll use a searching pattern or just one of my go to ones. I really like the woolly bugger, and leech patterns in general seem to produce well, even though the lakes around here don't have leechs in them. This guy was taken on a size 12 marabou leech pattern in black

I haven't been able to get out much lately, I mostly fish a river near our cabin and it's been froze-over until a few weeks ago. The steelhead run is starting and should be awesome next week.
This was the first steelhead of the week, a small hen.
IMG_20150327_184008655_zpsfohsqkkm.jpg

The steelhead unfortunately gobbled my spinner and hooked all three prongs deep in its throat. I normally don't keep the fish, but will always keep one I think may die as I'd much rather eat the fish than let it die in the river.
My wife is an excellent cook and salt bakes the fish I do keep, it's an incredible way to enjoy the entire fish?
IMG_20141227_142848543_zpsrinbvwkl.jpg

Just after the thaw I went out and almost got skunked. I tried every winter fly I could think of, spinners, spoons, egg imitators, and finally switched back to my trusty #2 silver Mepps to hook this beatuiful brown. It was quite the fighter, lots of jumps and runs on some pretty light gear:
IMG_20141227_123348941_HDR_zps4bz34nia.jpg

Good morning all. Seeing all these fishing pics sure makes me wish I was on the water and not working! Thought I might share a few pics of a family fishing trip. These were taken last week while the kids were out for spring break. We are fishing an oxbow lake off of the Arkansas River. The bass and crappie weren't hitting so we focused on catfish.

Getting ready to go out.
a5YgCgE.jpg

Brought the metal boat for this trip.
xhgMpOs.jpg

The fish barrel as it is filling up with cats.
OPaq1f5.jpg

Me with my fillet knife and my trusty Endura,, it's great for cutting out ribs and slicing fillets into frying size
DGEmynt.jpg

Me, my father in law and brother in law filleting and getting ready for the big fish fry later that evening
jZIdE4l.jpg

:thumbup: I suspected something in a Streamer pattern. One of my fishing partners reads a lot; told me about a fellow that tried an experiment using 'Black only" in ALL his Flies, dry or otherwise for an entire season. Apparently he saw no decrease in the number of fish caught that year. :cool:

I'm not too surprised. I think shape and size are the most important. Though with certain patterns I've always felt color was fairly important, chironomids for example. Do you remember what the name of the article was? Would be an interesting read!

Just had a long chat with the guy who told me about the article, he does not remember where he read it.
I'm not too surprised. I think shape and size are the most important. Though with certain patterns I've always felt color was fairly important, chironomids for example. Do you remember what the name of the article was? Would be an interesting read!

Makes a lot of sense, the black fly. I think a lot of fish, both fresh water and salt, predate on the profile as apposed to colour. Particularly when the fly is fished over top of the fish, what ever pattern or style you're using it's all going to be silhouetted against the brighter sky. I've caught loads of trout on black flies from large black marabou deceivers to tiny nymphs. Large black profiles are particularly effective on those very large trout that only come into the shallow lake margins to feed after dark.

Kris,.

Last edited:
Most folks don't night fish, and I find that a good thing.;):thumbup:
Large black profiles are particularly effective on those very large browns that only come into the shallow lake margins to feed after dark.

Kris,.

10906054_867486086642773_3994974876890396747_n.jpg

10492461_868047653253283_6882081340347293380_n.jpg

11096496_868047709919944_6759502884770039268_n.jpg

11102961_867857673272281_6134142749816159224_n.jpg

10985045_867765929948122_7017862524517931395_n.jpg

just a few fish from this week..ever wanted to catch a monster alligator gar? i can put you on them..

Do these beauties get released alive??

Kris,.

[video=youtube;W8a0RI65Vis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8a0RI65Vis[/video]
i choose to release these fish for future generations to enjoy, there are many people who kill them for food and sport, there is also a group of people and guides who champion these fish and push there conservation.

10985045_867765929948122_7017862524517931395_n.jpg

just a few fish from this week..ever wanted to catch a monster alligator gar? i can put you on them..[/QUOTE]

Freak'n awesome!

There was a time, years ago, that we would see alligator gar like this quite often where I grew up in between the Caddo and Little Missouri rivers in south west Arkansas. Really enjoyed seeing your pics and glad to see that if these aren't eaten that they are released alive.

[video=youtube;W8a0RI65Vis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8a0RI65Vis[/video]
i choose to release these fish for future generations to enjoy, there are many people who kill them for food and sport, there is also a group of people and guides who champion these fish and push there conservation.

Kudos to you my friend, exactly the answer I was hoping for. Fishing for the future! :thumbup::thumbup:

Kris,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back