Fiskars Splitting axes vs. Chopping Axes

Hello, I'm new to the forum, looking at getting one of the Fiskars axes and can't decide whether the Splitting or Chopping version is the best all-around bet for both types of tasks. I'm aware that the splitting axes have a more obtuse angle on the head to facilitate splitting, the head is slightly heavier, and the blade is slightly larger on the chopping version. Is there anything else I'm missing? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Think you've got the picture right.
What doesn't really show on pictures of the splitting axe is that the cheeks are really flared.
The splitting axe is quite specialized at splitting so wouldn't call it all-round. That said most people use axe mostly for splitting and hardly for chopping.

I've had both but settled on a regular 28" Chopping Axe as an all arounder. I've found the difference in splitting capability is not that much, as the Chopping axe is lighter but also swings faster. Also, the edge on the splitter is not as robust as on the chopper and easily dented\chipped during chopping harder stuff.

Fiskars has recently revamped their lineup of axes and since the older products are still being sold it gets a little confusing. The splitting axes in the new line-up have less flare and a taller cutting edge compared to their old splitting axe. The new splitting axes are closer in appearance to the chopping axes, so they might be OK for chopping duty.

If you want a dedicated splitting axe get the old version. Product #7854, called the "Super Splitting Axe". It's a better head design for splitting, in my experience. The old splitter only comes in 28in length however, which feels unsafe to some people. Their new lineup has a 28in (X25) and a 36in (X27).

What are the angles used on their blade edges for splitters and choppers? Does anyone have any photos as well?

On my Council 5 1/2 lb. splitting ax the head is larger and the blade longer than on my bucking axes. There are 2 different designs one sees for splitting axes. 1) a heavy 6-8 lb. long, obtuse wide angle edge splitting maul. Or 2) a 5-6 lb. more narrow cutting angle face splitting ax design. The two work very different. One gives shallow penetration with a wide wedge to force a split. The other drives deeper, cutting wood
fibers with a narrow blade and cheek. This weakens the connecting wood fibers and facilitates a split as the ax cuts and the pole enters the wood for the push to divide. The #1 design can be used as a sledge to drive wedges and splitting. #2 design can be used as an ax for felling and splitting. It becomes your preference as to what you'll use it on the most. Here are the 2 examples, a Craftsman maul and the red a Council splitting ax. DM
craftsman4.jpg
CouncilhaftIII.jpg

Last edited:
The edge angles on these 2 different splitters are 22* on the Council and 30* on the Craftsman maul. Which one to get depends on use and your type of wood. If your cutting wood with tight woven fibers, get the thin faced style. Most of the wood I see here guys split it using a 4 lb.
Rafting style ax. This style ax is a great general purpose ax. DM

I have a Fiskars X11 and need to redo the angle after having to remove metal because I hit a stone. I could do with seeing pictures from people who own this axe along with confirmation of the angle so that I can finish it off.

Back