Five knives for the rest of your life

Come on you’re over thinking things. This is clearly a barely concealed, “what are your favourite knives,” thread.
Barely concealed?

There's a reason I asked for 'five knives for the rest of your life' and not five favorites. In my view, warranty service is a valid concern, though not necessarily a requirement.

Don't you know the bare minimum allowable to carry per lifetime is 10+?!

...ok...20+...

...30? :confused:

Spyderco K2
Spyderco K2
Spyderco Nirvana
Spyderco Pacific Salt
Case Bose Tribal Spear

I love list like these because they force you to really think about what knives you'll use compared to what you want.

Based upon what I own right now...

Travel knife: Swiss army knife
Light duty/dress folder: Benchmade 531 (or a US made Kershaw Zing).
EDC Field knife: Griptilian 551.
Beater knife: CRKT Prowler.
Multi-tool: Gerber MP 600 Scout.

I could narrow this down to two knives very easily. Benchmade's 531 and the CRKT Prowler. That gives me a beater knife and a dress blade. Or, the Zing and Griptilian would also make a great pair, IMO. Both have orange scales. :) Add a multi-tool of some sort and you'd be set. Add a fixed blade, saw, and an axe and you would really be good to go.

If I was building a budget set up, I'd do things a little different...

Travel knife: Vic Recruit.
Light duty folder: Ontario Rat 2.
Field Knife: Ontario Rat 1 D2.
Multi-tool: Gerber MP 400.

Last edited:
1. Buck 110 S30V drop point G10
2. Benchmade Griptillian 20CV drop point G10
3. Benchmade Barrage CPM S30V G10 forest green with lime green backspacer yes it's important
4. Benchmade Crooked River CPM S30V G10 (red)
5. Buck Ranger S30V Ironwood

I love list like these because they force you to really think about what knives you'll use compared to what you want.

Based upon what I own right now...

Travel knife: Swiss army knife
Light duty/dress folder: Benchmade 531 (or a US made Kershaw Zing).
EDC Field knife: Griptilian 551.
Beater knife: CRKT Prowler.
Multi-tool: Gerber MP 600 Scout.

I could narrow this down to two knives very easily. Benchmade's 531 and the CRKT Prowler. That gives me a beater knife and a dress blade. Or, the Zing and Griptilian would also make a great pair, IMO. Both have orange scales. :)

Add a multi-tool of some sort and you'd be set. Add a fixed blade, saw, and an axe and you would really be good to go.

Nice.

Swiss army Knives kind of blur the lines between folders and multitools, though. I'd say you should pick one of the simpler ones (preferably without a saw). I really like that you included a beater knife.

Nice.

Swiss army Knives kind of blur the lines between folders and multitools, though. I'd say you should pick one of the simpler ones (preferably without a saw). I really like that you included a beater knife.

Glad you liked it.

For an Alox SAK, I prefer the Cadet or a Soldier/Pioneer. A Spartan or a Mechanic are my two favored with plastic scales. I have never tried a Recruit but have heard that it is much like the Cadet.

I hate to say this but I am finding that the Cadet is becoming my favorite of anything Victorinox offers.

Based on what I own:

Manix 2 LW - work
Gayle Bradley 2 - edc/work
940-1 - edc
Rookie G10 - edc
Isham Blackstar - dress/edc
7TGBAPP.jpg

JlqP6n9.jpg

XSfYfg2.jpg

Last edited:
The category is already stated in the opening post - folding knives. It doesn't suggest that we have to use those 5 folders for all of our knifely needs; so our variety of fixed blades isn't an issue.

Mea culpa. I misunderstood. Just coming out from under a massive head cold all week. OK, I'll play. These take into account the OP's stated parameters of usability, versatility, variety, and potential legal restrictions.

Victorinox Compact
Leatherman Wave
CRK Impinda
Laconico Keen
Shirogorov F3

That wasn't as hard as I initially thought. Actually, I already have four and I expect to get the Impinda by summer. Yes, I could easily get by with only these five.

And I meekly object to the exclusion of any multi-tools. The line is already blurred by Havalon and Lagiuole products with main blades and corkscrews or razor blades.

Last edited:
Come on you’re over thinking things. This is clearly a barely concealed, “what are your favourite knives,” thread.

I’ll have you know I take my pointless hypothetical questions very seriously, thank you very much.

Additionally, overthinking things is my bread and butter. I’m so good at it that I’m prescribed medication just to level the playing field.

Fallkniven F1
Mora 2000
Spyderco Stretch Zdp189
GEC 72 Cody Lockback Scout (cougar claw)
GEC 23 Burnt Grizzly Cut liner lock

All of which I already own, so I guess I’m done?

Mea culpa. I misunderstood. Just coming out from under a massive head cold all week. OK, I'll play. These take into account the OP's stated parameters of usability, versatility, variety, and potential legal restrictions.

Victorinox Compact
Leatherman Wave
CRK Impinda
Laconico Keen
Shirogorov F3

That wasn't as hard as I initially thought. Actually, I already have four and I expect to get the Impinda by summer. Yes, I could easily get by with only these five.

And I meekly object to the exclusion of any multi-tools. The line is already blurred by Havalon and Lagiuole products with main blades and corkscrews or razor blades.
I'll admit that the Havalon knives are stretching it just a little (my alternative would be a Benchmade Bugout). I think the idea behind the multitool exclusion is that they are a separate category, and therefore would get their own list.

OK. But guys are slipping in fixed blades despite your stated parameters. And here I thought I was the only one with a reading comprehension problem.

I can live with only five knives but not all folders. But if I had no other choice, Spyderco manix 2. Zt 0562. Emerson horseman. Ontario (Rat) 1. Spyderco endura.

OK. But guys are slipping in fixed blades despite your stated parameters. And here I thought I was the only one with a reading comprehension problem.
I totally missed the folder part of the original post. My reading comprehension sucks tonight apparently. I updated my post with just folders.

Back