How To Fix exposed tip

I have a Forge de Laguiole with a tip that sits just a hair exposed enough so that I have slightly cut myself on it once. These blades don't really have a kick I believe that is the proper term. For myself I kind of just see 2 options but I am hoping experts here can advise me to which is best or clue me in to alternatives.

1) grinding down the whole edge and where the kick would be and regrinding in a new edge
2) grind down the back spring on the inside of the well where the blade makes contact

I agree with grinding down the spine a little. I had a similar issue with a Svord Peasant, and just turned it from a clip point to a drop point. You could do that, or grind it all down evenly to retain the clip point profile 20200711_095228~2_resize_22.jpg

I think I had considered that and will need to look at it again but I believe the concern I had there was with grinding into the nail nick or something which aesthetically would be less desirable but need to look it over tonight.

Shouldn't need to grind the full length of the spine. Just ease down the forward end of the spine, out in front of the nail nick. Assuming the tip isn't too extremely exposed, you shouldn't have to take a lot off the spine to get the tip flush or slightly below the liners.

Posting a picture of the knife, showing the degree of tip exposure with the blade closed, could generate more specific tips for fixing it.

Back