Fixed blade edc 3”

I’m looking for a Buck fixed blade knife for everyday carry. New or used, what’s available with a blade about 3”?

Could we interest you in one of these? August's Buck of the Month is the stylish 113 Ranger Skinner. Don't wait too long.

0113ODSBOTM-B.jpg

The 113 is the one that comes to mind. It would make a good edc. I found the blade to be a bit wide for general purpose tasks but thats just me being picky. The standard version is pretty nice but the cabelas Alaskan guide version is surely an upgrade or you can spec out a custom one on the Buck website.

If you can handle a 4 inch blade then take a look at the 102 or the 101. Copper and Clad has several nice 101s to choose from including a drop point. The 102 has a somewhat small handle but that makes for a small and light package that disappears on the belt.

Webb, if you are looking for a low cost, light weight alternative you might consider the 673 Bucklite Max small or the 684 Bucklite Max II small - both with 3 1/4 inch blades. They have rubber handles and nylon sheaths.

How about a mini alpha hunter, the blade is only 2" or you could go with the alpha hunter with a 3" blade, I have several of each and love them.

You already have a few listed that I like the 113 at 3 1/8", the Mini Alpha at 2 1/2". You can also look at the Packlite model knives with a skeletonized handle, there is also a Buck/Tops skeletonized handle under at 3".

JB

I have a paklite but I’d rather have something with wooden scales and then have a cross draw leather sheath made for it.

3" is a tough criteria to meet for a fixed blade. My 3 suggestions are a tad longer...
101 Fixed blade 110
475 Mini Mentor
107 Scout

Last edited:
Buck Ops Boot knife has a blade exactly 3" with a versatile sheath that can convert to whatever method of carry you prefer. The downside is the handle is more of a 4 finger grip.
4l1TgCt.jpg

Buck Ops Boot knife has a blade exactly 3" with a versatile sheath that can convert to whatever method of carry you prefer. The downside is the handle is more of a 4 finger grip.
4l1TgCt.jpg

I was going to recommend this as well if a tanto tip is preferred. This thing could be used as a sharpened prybar also as it has a thick spine, just be wary of the edge which is still quite slicey with the deep hollow grind though the tip is a flat grind so it's very sturdy. The boot knife makes up for it's quirkiness with one of the better stock carry systems I've seen from a manufacturer giving us a lot off options.

If you prefer a full grip, a choil isn't too bad to grind in and then it feels more like a mini sub-hilt but you're going to lose that 3" cutting edge.

yFVWBccl.jpg

Right now my favorite edc knife is a Vantage force with a 13c26 blade and wood scales that I put on it. I would like a fixed blade with a similar blade shape and wood scales that would look nice in a leather sheath. And of course I want it to be a USA made Buck.

Back