Fixed Blade EDC Recommendation Needed

In search of a new fixed blade for EDC tasks and just an all around good knife. Looking for thin, tough and SHARP. Would like to keep cost under $400 and somewhat easy to find. Any suggestions? Thanks.

shane

There are plenty of really good blades out there. So I’ll mention what I have. But first you don’t mention a size range ? So off the hip :)
Busse Park Ranger
Carothers EDC2 or 3
Carothers Utility Field Knife
Busse son of swat
Busse Boss street
Swamp Rat Ratmandu
Busse Mentor

Just tossing those out there as I’m not sure what your looking for :)

Last edited:
if your budget is that high, it's simple (imho) - the cpk edc3
just all around perfection...
(or you could get a bradford for half that budget)

DCJyRn1.jpg

There are plenty of really good blades out there. So I’ll mention what I have. But first you don’t mention a size range ? So off the hip :)
Busse Park Ranger
Carothers EDC2
Carothers Utility Field Knife
Busse son of swat
Busse Boss street
Swamp Rat Ratmandu
Busse Mentor

Just tossing those out there as I’m not sure what your looking for :)

Thanks. I live in CT so I am limited to a 4” sharpened blade length.

Ok so all I mentioned except for the ratmandu will work :thumbsup:

I just picked up this GiantMouse GMF-1 a couple of days ago. I’m *really* liking this knife.

DE6DFA86-3AB5-4582-8A6D-F6950F97A0A6.jpeg

Plenty of nice makers here on the forums. Thomas O'Neill for a small hunter, usually hollow ground and A2 steel, usually about half that budget. Also, check out GL Drew knives. For the price you are able to do, Fiddleback Forge or their Production line, such as The Hiking Buddy.

Plenty of nice makers here on the forums. Thomas O'Neill for a small hunter, usually hollow ground and A2 steel, usually about half that budget. Also, check out GL Drew knives. For the price you are able to do, Fiddleback Forge or their Production line, such as The Hiking Buddy.

I came here to recomend the Hiking Buddy. Perfect for carry and well made. I've got one hand spun by Andy. I treasure it.

I am assuming you are looking for a solid fixed blade for EDC, Camping, Hunting type tasks. Here are some options at this price point (all from my personal collection with the exception of #2)

Sorted List
  1. Bark River Bravo 1. 9.06 inch knife with 4.26 inch blade. CPM-3V Steel. Wide variery of handle options. Full Tang. US Marine Corps approved design .. this knife put BRKT on the map. $240 - $300 based on handle materials and sheath options.
  2. Winkler Knives WKII Recon. 10.5 inch knife with 5.3 inch blade. 5160 Carbon Steel. Flat grind. Daniel Winkler design. Carried around the world by elite forces. A touch under $400.
  3. Bradford Knives Guardian3. 6.75 inch knife with 3.5 inch blade. Bohler M390 Steel. Wide variery of handle options. Full Tang. Made in the USA. $120 - $180 based on handle materials. Outstanding ergos.
  4. TOPS BOB Brothers of Bushcraft Knife. 9.8 inch knife with 4.6 inch blade. 1095 High Carbon Steel. Scandi grind. Full Tang. Rocky mountain trade micarta handles. Around $170. Great EDC/Camping knife. Made in the USA.

I carry a Bradford guardian 3.5 and absolutely love it.

I've seen some people complain about the sheath but for me it's been great

I have both the Bradford 3 & 3.5. Either is a good EDC knife, and come with horizontal sheaths, with the 3" being a bit more concealable.
IMG_0261-X3.jpg

IMG_0695-X3.jpg

There are plenty of good knives but not so many good sheaths. Like clips in folders, sheaths are often an afterthought. Fortunately it is a lot easier to learn to live with a not so great sheath than a not so good knife. It is arguably less important though. The knife for you depends on what is most important to you. Toughness/Durability, all out wear resistance, corrosion resistance. I, quite honestly, struggle with the one aspect that I would like to overshadow the others. You can think of these three aspects on a pie chart... to increase one aspect, you will diminish one or Both of the others. I tend to want either toughness or corrosion resistance to be on the top of my desires within reason. I should also mention that if I am going for a fixed blade I would lean toward toughness because it would be a chief reason I would choose a fixed blade over a folder. The Survive Knives in 3V have been at the top for me. The smaller ones are hard to come by. I have a Carothers EDC that has been excellent so far as well. If I were in the market for something more
readily available I would try a Lionsteel M4. I have an M1 in M390 and it is really nice. Honestly I couldn’t ask for more in a knife except durability. I hope I never need the durability of 3V but it does give peace of mind.

Bradford Guardian 4.5 was my first thought.

LionSteel M4 or maybe the Bushcrafter.

Bark River has several offerings. Gunny Bravo, Fox River, Classic Drop Point, and Bushcrafter to name a few in 3V. The Gunny would be my choice from Bark River.

White River FC4.

Fallkniven F1.

I might just get a Bradford Guardian 4.5 in 3V for $200 and the Lionsteel M4 in M390 for $155. Now you can mix up what you carry and try out some different companies and steels.

White River Caper. TM Hunt Magua. ESEE 3. Winkler Knives Jaeger, though it's not as thin. All pretty easy to find.

Mora Eldress.
It'll even fit on your pocket, if you desire pocket carry.

One of their short bladed (birch handled) wood carving knives might be another option.

If you want something with a blade just under 4 inches, the Mora number 1 is a great general purpose fixed blade.
The number 1 gives you a choice of carbon steel, stainless steel, or laminated blades.
(if you want a finger guard the Mora 611 is a good choice.
I think it is available in stainless steel, if that is your preferance.)

In my opinion:

Esee 3 or Esee 4 models.
Manly Patriot.
Mini Skrama.
Those are thinner blades.

I personally opted for a thicker and heawier knife so I got Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter - price is less than 50€ so it's well under your budget.

Also, I'd rather not spend 400$ on EDC knife since there is fair chance of losing it somewhere. So it's something to keep in mind too.

Reactions: vba
Back