Fixed blade edc ring knife

This is a rare beast counting out karambits. I'm talking about knives that have a karambit style ring in the handle, but straight blade, a normal knife blade. My idea is to get a knife that has this ring but works better in normal tasks than a karambit and would make a also a decent weapon if needed.

So far my best choises are Ka-Bar Snody Snake charmer and Bark River Ringtail. If I get the Ka-Bar I would have to make it a new sheath, since I intend to carry the knife on my belt or in the pocket or IWB/tucked under the belt. This would mean I would have to invest time and materials to the sheath project, I could of course try to get a custom kydex sheath. This would even the price difference. Ringtail comes with a decent leather sheath and I have ideas how I could easily modify it for my preferred carry. Both knives have the right size for my intended purpose and carry methods.

Both are made of good steel. Snody would have to be wrapped with paracord for a comfortable hold. So, what do you think? Your recommendations?

I have both the SOCP single edge and Bastinelli Picolomako, but both are in my opinion not edc tools, but serious weapons. I would hesitate to use those in EDC role.

This is a rare beast counting out karambits. I'm talking about knives that have a karambit style ring in the handle, but straight blade, a normal knife blade. My idea is to get a knife that has this ring but works better in normal tasks than a karambit and would make a also a decent weapon if needed.

So far my best choises are Ka-Bar Snody Snake charmer and Bark River Ringtail. If I get the Ka-Bar I would have to make it a new sheath, since I intend to carry the knife on my belt or in the pocket or IWB/tucked under the belt. This would mean I would have to invest time and materials to the sheath project, I could of course try to get a custom kydex sheath. This would even the price difference. Ringtail comes with a decent leather sheath and I have ideas how I could easily modify it for my preferred carry. Both knives have the right size for my intended purpose and carry methods.

Both are made of good steel. Snody would have to be wrapped with paracord for a comfortable hold. So, what do you think? Your recommendations?

I have both the SOCP single edge and Bastinelli Picolomako, but both are in my opinion not edc tools, but serious weapons. I would hesitate to use those in EDC role.

Not sure if they are too big but you could always check out Ronin Tactics, they have two ringed fixed blades. ZU bladeworx has some ring knives that might be smaller. These are pretty expensive though.

The Boker Gitfo is abit bigger than the Snody/kbar Snake Charmer but another cheaper option.

Have you ever considered a ringed edc knife like the Brous Silent Soldier Ranger? It is an excellent size for edc while still being long enough to make a defensive weapon. It can actually be used as a Punch dagger but shhhh. That’s a secret.

Please avoid the Flagrant Beard Havoc knife. It is literally the thickest edge I have ever seen on a knife. The edge is literally like 80 degrees inclusive, 40 per side. I’ve felt corners of kitchen counters that are way sharper.

Not sure if they are too big but you could always check out Ronin Tactics, they have two ringed fixed blades. ZU bladeworx has some ring knives that might be smaller. These are pretty expensive though.

The Boker Gitfo is abit bigger than the Snody/kbar Snake Charmer but another cheaper option.

Have you ever considered a ringed edc knife like the Brous Silent Soldier Ranger? It is an excellent size for edc while still being long enough to make a defensive weapon. It can actually be used as a Punch dagger but shhhh. That’s a secret.

Please avoid the Flagrant Beard Havoc knife. It is literally the thickest edge I have ever seen on a knife. The edge is literally like 80 degrees inclusive, 40 per side. I’ve felt corners of kitchen counters that are way sharper.

The original GITFO could be a choise, but the GITFO DA was in the end too small. The handle was so short that I had to grind a bit off the blade, so shortening the allready very short edge. I have no idea how thick the blade is behind the edge in the original model, in GITFO DA it was too thick. So my feeling is that GITFO might require a regrind to be usable. Flagrant Beard have this problem too.

I have to handle the Brous. Thanks for a tip. I have the Kizlyar Amigo that has the same design philosophy, but the sheath actually dulls the blade being made of G 10!

The original GITFO could be a choise, but the GITFO DA was in the end too small. The handle was so short that I had to grind a bit off the blade, so shortening the allready very short edge. I have no idea how thick the blade is behind the edge in the original model, in GITFO DA it was too thick. So my feeling is that GITFO might require a regrind to be usable. Flagrant Beard have this problem too.

I have to handle the Brous. Thanks for a tip. I have the Kizlyar Amigo that has the same design philosophy, but the sheath actually dulls the blade being made of G10!

The brous sheath doesn’t dull the blade.

Neither does the sheah of the Perrin La Griffe which is abit lighter a knife than the Silent soldier but also a grrat little ringed knife.

The brous sheath doesn’t dull the blade.

Neither does the sheah of the Perrin La Griffe which is abit lighter a knife than the Silent soldier but also a grrat little ringed knife.

A cheaper option is also the SOG Snarl.

The brous sheath doesn't dull the sharp edge.

Neither does the sheah of the Perrin La Griffe which is abit lighter a blade than the Silent fighter yet in addition a grrat minimal ringed blade.

Thats right!

Pino knows his small ringed knives

I have played with the Kizlyar Amigo to find out if I really like the consept. The answer is no. I ordered the Snody Snake charmer, my intention is to make a handle of epoxy-soaked cord, maybe add slabs of hardened leather beneath the cord to make it even more comfortable. I also found a maker for custom kydex sheath with reasonable price. The sheath I want would be deep, with only the ring and a bit of the handle sticking out, made for pocket/statick cord and horizontal belt carry.

While I'm at it I will order a kydex sheath for my SOCP single edge, with a cord wrap handle. This is exiting.

Back