Fixed Blade Fantasy Fun!!!!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Let's have fun.... I'm going to do a run or two of fixed blades over the next part of the summer and I want to know what you want to see!

How about listing 4 things... Style, Material, Grind and Price.

example - 8" Hunter, Skeletonized AEB-L Steel with Micarta or CF scales option, Double Full Flat Grind, $125-195

Lets keep this fun and somewhat realistic... I'll let you know what I think and I'd love to see everyone throw in their opinion! Interactive knife design!

I'm not a huge fixed guy but I'll go first;
I love to see a DFK style pocket butcher with a leather sheath.
Carbon fiber handle scales with brass pins. Dark acid or mirror polished for blade finishing options.
Aeb-l or cpm-154
Hollow grind should do!
Price.... $180 - $380 depends on the finishing and handle material. ;)

Micro hatchet! Brilliant!

I need to think about this. I have one idea, but it may be silly so I'm gonna save myself the embarrassment and message ya.

I'm not a huge fixed guy but I'll go first;
I love to see a DFK style pocket butcher with a leather sheath.
Carbon fiber handle scales with brass pins. Dark acid or mirror polished for blade finishing options.
Aeb-l or cpm-154
Hollow grind should do!
Price.... $180 - $380 depends on the finishing and handle material. ;)

Thanks Ben and that is an excellent start! I have been getting requests for this design almost daily and have considered everything from an ATK (Altoids Tin Knife) in Ti to a larger full on cleaver.

I like the idea of AEB-L or CPM-154, both provide great performance and I have tested both extensively. Same with CF scales. Brass pins would be a killer option too, maybe copper or even bronze too.

The price point sounds good, I could do anything from a simpler model to all out CF and full mirror on the higher end.

Thanks again Ben! What do you guys think?

Micro hatchet! Brilliant!

I need to think about this. I have one idea, but it may be silly so I'm gonna save myself the embarrassment and message ya.

I can turn fantasy into reality! :D No idea is too silly if you guys want me to make it happen!

I'm going to check my PM box. :D

A B&T knife in .100(ish) M4 or 52100, full height grind either chisel or V, bronze or hammered finish Ti bolster and black paper micarta. Price around $200-$300 pending finish and materials.

-X

-

Forged Bowie, 12" blade, hamon, bolstered, polished contoured wood handle. $$$ more then I can afford that's for sure :p

*edit*

Also, other silly idea submitted. That's one I can afford haha.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in seeing your take on a bushcraft type knife. A Scandinavian grind or maybe a convex grind. O-1 with a forced patina would be cool. You couldn't go wrong with a beefy, contoured Micarta handle.

A B&T knife in .100(ish) M4 or 52100, full height grind either chisel or V, bronze or hammered finish Ti bolster and black paper micarta. Price around $200-$300 pending finish and materials.

-X

-

I really like it Xander!

Excellent edge holding, very slicey geometry, bolsters... sounds very useful and classy! :cool:

I bet you remember the Hunter design I came up with about a year ago, I think it would be a great Bird and Trout knife as it is on the smaller size with a very ergonomic handle and useful blade shape.

The price, materials, finish and everything sounds good for all. I like it!

This is uncanny... I have been considering a very limited amount of designs and you guys are right there with me! Whatever works but this is pretty cool!

Last edited:
Dude, I'm thinking a slightly smaller version of the Stinger with a straight clip would be an excellent B&T. The hunter too! I really like a slightly shorter blade height in a B&T with a centered point because it can double duty as a caping knife on large game. Blade no longer than 2.5" so you can lay your extended index finger on the spine and almost reach the tip. I also think it should be a plunge less edge and handle shape should be fairly equal in edge up or down. Maybe a slight flair like a pukko at the butt of the handle. Not like I had anything really specific in mind...lol! I think you and I are on the same wavelength though. Of course a simple spear point straight knife with very careful attention to aesthetics and balance of design could be extremely classy. I'm thinking something like the Case desk knife meets aikuchi meets boot knife. Will & Finck single edge bowie blade profile but scaled down to size.

-Xander

Damn, just gave myself some excellent ideas, gonna go sketch some stuff out!

5" 440C Spearpoint flat ground blade survival knife. Skeletonized handle with removable G10 handle scales. Kydex sheath.

4.5in blade small trench knife. 1/8in S7. FFG "v" grind. rough finish micarta. small hammer on butt. $190. O_O It would sell out, so make at least 10 :D

Great stuff everyone! Keep the ideas coming.

I'll be back later with some thoughts. Grinding time now!

5" 440C Spearpoint flat ground blade survival knife. Skeletonized handle with removable G10 handle scales. Kydex sheath.

I was along the same lines with 5.5 inch long blade AEB-L or CPM154 blade at around 5/32 inch thick and 1.5+ inch wide. Nearly full height flat grind. Big stainless tubes holding on solid color G10. Pancake kydex at $150 to $250.

Last edited:
Cpm 154 or s30v nessmuk scandi grind 4.5 inch to 5.5 inch blade 2 inch wide white linen or natural micarta ti tube flared pins $250 - 350 depending on steel, finish and size and kydex or scout carry leather sheath

Tactical Santoku

20319242299_402d6571c2_b.jpg

Back