Fixed Blade & Folder Combo

Arian29

Gold Member
Greetings,
Let’s have this thread for pics of your fixed blade & folder combo, be it big or small, modern, traditional, or mixed...any combo that you use, and just love to carry.

D90Qvtc.jpg

LIL Creek and One Eyed Jack.
2A53B1D4-87C5-4754-B250-748E7EEDFB30.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t normally carry fixed and folder but, if I did, the fixed probably would be my Benchmade 162.

Pair that with my Leatherman Wave or Alox SAK and I should be good to go.

Then I would miss my Griptilian.:(

Last edited:
Thats a very nice GEC fixed blade you have:thumbsup:.
I’ve been searching it on several online stores since some time, but no luck;), maybe someday, hope is eternal,,,as they say:).
Aryan

The H20 sure is great.
I decided I wanted one a few months back and luckily a member offered to send me one they weren't using.
It was mentioned by another that GEC had a couple left , and within hours they got sold.

I don't carry a fixed blade as an EDC on me. My daily routine does not call for it and I could get into trouble for it.

HOWEVER, I opened this thread and I was expecting to see smallish folders paired with bigger/stouter fixed blades. If I were to carry fixed + folder I would probably go this route, as I would plan on using the fixed for things that might require that extra toughness often associated to fixed blades, and the folder for delicate tasks.

BUT instead I see that folder and fixed combos are often of the same size, with even fixed blades being smaller than their folder companions. What's the reasoning behind these choices? Why would anyone carry a small fixed + bigger folder?

I can think of only one exception and that MIGHT be self defense, with a big SD dedicated folder (be it a Civilian, or some pocket sword from Cold Steel or similar contraptions) paired with a humble low profile fixed for EDC duties...

Legit question, I want to know.

Mikel

I don't carry a fixed blade as an EDC on me. My daily routine does not call for it and I could get into trouble for it.

HOWEVER, I opened this thread and I was expecting to see smallish folders paired with bigger/stouter fixed blades. If I were to carry fixed + folder I would probably go this route, as I would plan on using the fixed for things that might require that extra toughness often associated to fixed blades, and the folder for delicate tasks.

BUT instead I see that folder and fixed combos are often of the same size, with even fixed blades being smaller than their folder companions. What's the reasoning behind these choices? Why would anyone carry a small fixed + bigger folder?

I can think of only one exception and that MIGHT be self defense, with a big SD dedicated folder (be it a Civilian, or some pocket sword from Cold Steel or similar contraptions) paired with a humble low profile fixed for EDC duties...

Mikel

For me, personally, I wind up using the fixed blade 99% of the tasks that come up. It's just handier. It's ready to go from the moment I touch it. As for size choice the biggest reason is people tend to be less fearful of the smaller ones, save today's carry!! Most times, all my others have been referred to as cute. When I'm not in and around the city I'm usually carrying my Fallkniven volcano or Cold Steel Outdoorsman.
Folders I just grab whatever strikes me in the morning.

Mikel
Hi,
Thats a very pertinent question.
For me, carrying a fixed + folder gives me the choice of having BOTH types at hand, where one knife is also a back up of the other.

You have already provided one answer about self defence, I can only add to it.
A small fixed blade too is convenient for EDC purposes, specially when one is used to ‘em,
-being easier to clean,
-no opening closing routine,
-ambidextrous,
-no fear of locking failure/mishap, etc.
They have some disadvantage too, need sheath carry- unlike folders, length restriction in some parts, and so on.

Regarding the sizes of the two knives in the combo, it depends on the task and the occasion.

I think these two pics can explain.
Medium Folder + small Fixed.
OV9xhnR.jpg

Small Folder + Medium Fixed.
AKUnqzX.jpg

Aryan

Last edited:

Mikel
What do you consider a call for fixed blades ?
Just curious, because for me it's just a knife like any other, only difference is that they're my one handed knife when I feel the need while my folders two handed.
Not carried for SD or extra strength or anything, I just like them.
As far as a fixed blade smaller than a folder, I would guess it often just ends up working out that way for people.
The folder is smaller than the fixed blade when it's folded, and maybe people are just carrying what the mood strikes not worrying about blade lengths.

For me my pocket knife will most often be smaller than my belt knife.

Last edited:
I carry a fixed blade and folding knife every day whether at work or not. I own large fixed blade but don’t edc them. I have no need for them in that role. My concerns are blade length for the task. How dirty the task is, I do landscaping professionally. And the last concern is ease of carry. A small fixed blade carries easily. A fixed blade that equals a folder with a good size handle and 3.5 inch blade doesn’t carry well for me personally. So a folder makes sense.

M Mikel_24
Speaking only for myself, I generally carry small to medium fixed blades for a few reasons. First and foremost, I prefer fixed over folders... but some of the conveniences of a folding knife cannot be denied, so I carry both when I can. (The are times that I can't carry fixed.)
Admittedly, I don't think much about the sizes in relation to other things I'm carrying. On any given day I might have comparably or disparately sized knives; and my best explanation would be a shrug while saying I just felt like carrying this one.
While I appreciate larger (6" and up) fixed blades, they aren't 'edc' knives for me. Truth be told, anything over about 4.25 inches seems oversized and out of place in my day to day. (I still carry my Urban Grudge LE occasionally, though; because I like it too much not to)

20200312-121030.jpg

Bunch of stuff in my pockets today:D
The fixed blade is a ZT0180. I carry for heavy duty work on the jobsite. I always have my large Inkosi on me for general cutting chores, and I feel legitimately naked without a multitool.

The GEC Missouri Trapper was one I found in my coat pocket, so it got to pose for the shot.

Back