Fixed Blade & Folder Combo

What do you consider a call for fixed blades ?
I would say that any task that made me question the strength of the folding knife or how cofortable the handle is. Such as exerting a lot of pressure on it (need a good roundish handle for that and the lock better be tough), a certain amount of torquing (say enlarging a hole in an enclosure for an electrician to run conduit) or, God forbid, mild prying.

I could add anything that is so messy that the required cleaning afterwards might not be so easy on a folding item.

...., and maybe people are just carrying what the mood strikes not worrying about blade lengths....
I think this is the main reason for sure!

Thanks all for all the great answers.

Mikel

I would say that any task that made me question the strength of the folding knife or how cofortable the handle is. Such as exerting a lot of pressure on it (need a good roundish handle for that and the lock better be tough), a certain amount of torquing (say enlarging a hole in an enclosure for an electrician to run conduit) or, God forbid, mild prying.

I could add anything that is so messy that the required cleaning afterwards might not be so easy on a folding item.

I think this is the main reason for sure!

Thanks all for all the great answers.

Mikel

Hey Mikel,
Glad you replied, Isn’t BF a great place to be? We have such knowledgeable and co-operative/supportive members here, and their collective treasure trove of knives :thumbsup:.
Aryan.

Last edited:
Yes, I too like small fixed blades. At present I’m having several folders for EDC, just recently started adding small/medium fixed blades to my EDC rotation.
About horizontal/cross carry and sheaths, I’m told these are some of the best options by Horsewright Horsewright :thumbsup:.

Many Thanks,
Aryan.

Hadn't really spoken up in this thread as I don't carry a folder, just a small fixed. Only time I carry a folder is if I go "down the hill" and my little fixed blade might be frowned upon in some parts. I do carry horizontal in a crossdraw manner, and have for many years. Any questions I could answer for ya?

@Aryan, I will try to get some more photos, I like small fixed blades more, but a folder is convenient. One day I will get a Horsewright, and one of his horizontal sheaths. I like the one above in white bone or stag. I want one of his Coyote or Sonoran models. Again, the carry method is something I am working on.

Thats one of only 3 Coyotes I've ever done in a flat grind and it was the first in 26C3.

Hadn't really spoken up in this thread as I don't carry a folder, just a small fixed. Only time I carry a folder is if I go "down the hill" and my little fixed blade might be frowned upon in some parts. I do carry horizontal in a crossdraw manner, and have for many years. Any questions I could answer for ya?

Thats one of only 3 Coyotes I've ever done in a flat grind and it was the first in 26C3.

I just received my Horsewright Vaquero in elk, 2 days ago. I must admit that it's smaller than I thought it would be- but I am not complaining at all! It definitely cuts way above it's weight class! The craftsmanship is stellar, and it is one slicey little bugger! I'm definitely impressed, and it carries nicely.
The El Toro in blue jigged bone is next on my list!

Horsewright Horsewright
Thanks for your note, your name came up in a conversation just as a compliment, nothing else :thumbsup:.
Aryan.

Horsewright Horsewright
Thanks for your note, your name came up in a conversation just as a compliment, nothing else :thumbsup:.
Aryan.
Gotcha.

I just received my Horsewright Vaquero in elk, 2 days ago. I must admit that it's smaller than I thought it would be- but I am not complaining at all! It definitely cuts way above it's weight class! The craftsmanship is stellar, and it is one slicey little bugger! I'm definitely impressed, and it carries nicely.
The El Toro in blue jigged bone is next on my list!

Good deal. Thanks. Those Vaqueros just disappear on the belt don’t they.

Endura + Mini Fox River,
Jkqmu36.jpg

Wondering if a Bradford 3.5 would be a good one, I think the 3 would have too short of a handle.

The Bradford 3.5 is nice, but it moves the blade edge away from your hand because of the guard, and the jimping is also weirdly placed. For a small knife I like the Bradford 3 better as it gives you excellent control of the blade. You need to try them in hand if possible.

The Bradford 3.5 is nice, but it moves the blade edge away from your hand because of the guard, and the jimping is also weirdly placed. For a small knife I like the Bradford 3 better as it gives you excellent control of the blade. You need to try them in hand if possible.

Is the Bradford 3 a four finger grip? I guess you can choke up on it for more control.

I forget, the small one from 1084 in the first pic (called a pocket scapel) is made by Josh (?) before he got better known, he makes a lot of hollow ground hunters in AEBL now, his mark is a capital J. The other one is an Aguila small fixed blades 1095. I tried to find Josh's last name, sorry, maybe it will show up.

I think it was from Josh Gallardo, not sure how old they are since I know he makes really nice hunters now. I will work on more pics of the small pocket scalpel and a hunter.

Always a fixed and a folder. White River Sendero Classic and a Ruike P-108 frame-lock today. Folders get rotated, in no particular order, the Sendero is my go-to. Which one I grab for a particular task depends on my mood at the time, but the Sendero gets most of the work.

Arian29 Arian29 I have a mini kwaiken in progress right now. It currently is set for burgundy coarse micarta handles, but they haven't been epoxied yet. PM me for more info if you want.

ashwinearl ashwinearl 👍, you may post some pics if you like. At present I’m thinking of ordering a knife like/similar to GEC H20, with blade length 2.75”, red micarta.
thanks,
Aryan

Last edited:
Back