Fixed blade recommendation

Grateful

Basic Member
Hello all. I’m wanting to add a fixed blade to carry while on day hikes. It will also probably see some kitchen use and it would be nice if it could field dress my yearly deer.
I would like to keep the budget around $75.00. 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 inch blade and carbon steel is preferred but I am open to stainless steel as well.
Anyone care to make a suggestion?

Hello all. I’m wanting to add a fixed blade to carry while on day hikes. It will also probably see some kitchen use and it would be nice if it could field dress my yearly deer.
I would like to keep the budget around $75.00. 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 inch blade and carbon steel is preferred but I am open to stainless steel as well.
If it's going to double for kitchen use you'll want to stay away from anything with a lower guard. You want to have as much knuckle clearance while having as blade contact with your cutting surface as possible, like a chef's knife. The only knife i own that's trail and bushcraft worthy and still ok in the kitchen is the Becker BK-15. I know they're discontinued, but you can probably find one out there in your price range. And it will skin a deer, for sure.

A close second, and it'll do good kitchen work, but doesn't have the geometry I spoke of above, is a puukko design.

Zieg

I would recommend you look at the Esee HM 3 or 4 series with the new handles they are extrememely comfortable and near your price range.

I would strongly recommend the made-in-Idaho Camillus Bushcrafter ... little-known but great reviews ...

It is a moderately-priced knife that has many features that are sought out and/or recommended for a general-purpose outdoor knife:

1095 carbon steel ... just keep it lightly oiled ... easy to sharpen and holds an edge
full-tang Scandi grind but with a tiny tiny micro-bevel
4" Blade Length
squared off blade spine for sparking a ferro rod
Micarta handle scales (removable no less)
factory patina gunmetal-grey finish (no gunky paint coating)
classic Nessmuk-type blade shape ... a moderate belly perfect for skinning
thick, high quality leather sheath ... looks and feels and smells like it was made in a high-end saddle shop

You really owe it to yourself to take a few minutes to do a search on it. Add a tiny Mora Eldris in your emergency-essentials pouch (for delicate brain surgery) ... maybe the heavy luxury of a Silky saw ... farwood forever if it's allowed ... and you can do almost anything!

Last edited:
The Camillus Bushcrafter does look interesting. I’m curious tho, who’s really making it since Camillus is out of business?

You are mistaken. These Bushcrafter models are made at a small Camillus facility in Idaho.

https://www.camillusknives.com/prod...-fixed-blade-knife-with-leather-sheath-1.html

Ignore the MSRP ... they actually sell at a much lower price, as you will see with a bit of research. In Canada they sell at Canadian Tire for around CAN$100 and come with an unlimited lifetime exchange guarantee ... a great deal for a great knife.

Condor Kephart @ half your budget.

Condor%2520Kephart.JPG

I would stay away from 1/8 inch thick knives with a scandi grind. They’re just not good all around knives. 3/32 thick is really the upper limit for them IME.

Can’t give a recommendation though. All of the knives I’m familiar with are either under 20 or over 100. Just didn’t want you to waste money on scandi.

A lot of folks on many enthusiast websites (like this fine one) post a question much like this one ... and then ... after many folks have taken the time to offer carefully-considered opinions ... the original one-who-posts just buggers-off into the ether.

Never to be heard from again ... :)

The folks who respond (I am probably typical) would obviously like know how the story turned-out. What did you eventually do? Why? Did it turn-out as you'd expected?

Buck Woodsman or Pathfinder might suit your needs. Both are well within your budget, and both are excellent for your requirements.

A lot of folks on many enthusiast websites (like this fine one) post a question much like this one ... and then ... after many folks have taken the time to offer carefully-considered opinions ... the original one-who-posts just buggers-off into the ether.

Never to be heard from again ... :)

The folks who respond (I am probably typical) would obviously like know how the story turned-out. What did you eventually do? Why? Did it turn-out as you'd expected?

Coming back to reply with my decision and I found this. Sorry to disappoint, I wasn't aware of a deadline.
I really appreciate all who offered suggestions for a knife purchase to fit my needs. The rest, I could have lived without.
I have decided to order two knives that i think might fit my needs. A Mora 2000 and a Mora Kansbol. After I have received both knives I will post my initial thoughts. After using them both I will post my thoughts on each knife.
I can only hope I will reply fast enough to keep oldmanron happy.

Coming back to reply with my decision and I found this. Sorry to disappoint, I wasn't aware of a deadline.
I really appreciate all who offered suggestions for a knife purchase to fit my needs. The rest, I could have lived without.
I have decided to order two knives that i think might fit my needs. A Mora 2000 and a Mora Kansbol. After I have received both knives I will post my initial thoughts. After using them both I will post my thoughts on each knife.
I can only hope I will reply fast enough to keep oldmanron happy.

I think that the Mora Kansbol is a very cool knife (I love my little Eldris) and look forward to hearing what you think of it.

I apologize if my comment annoyed you ... it is true more-often-than-not, and was not directed at you personally. I was just asking/suggesting that ... after you someday do make a decision ... you come back here and let us know, and how it worked out. No hurry ...

And look ... it worked! :)

Last edited:
I realize that you've already made a decision, but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Becker knives, particularly (for your scenario), the Becker Companion (BK2) or the BK10. The entire Becker lineup has cheap, durable fixed blades that have a good warranty.

I realize that you've already made a decision, but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Becker knives, particularly (for your scenario), the Becker Companion (BK2) or the BK10. The entire Becker lineup has cheap, durable fixed blades that have a good warranty.

Like The Zieg, I was going to recommend the BK15 but, it's no longer available.

The BK-10 and BK-2 are fantastic knives but a bit hefty for day hikes and kitchen use.

Congrats on the Mora's, Grateful. Give them a try in the kitchen. Both the thinner part and the thicker toward the handle to see how a scandi grind works on food. Not my favorite but I haven't tried those with the partially thinned blade like the 2000.

Well I haven't actually ordered yet. Lol The Beckers look good to me but are a little more expensive.

Back