Fixed blade recommendation

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Grateful, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Hello all. I’m wanting to add a fixed blade to carry while on day hikes. It will also probably see some kitchen use and it would be nice if it could field dress my yearly deer.
    I would like to keep the budget around $75.00. 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 inch blade and carbon steel is preferred but I am open to stainless steel as well.
    Anyone care to make a suggestion?

2. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
  3. Grateful

Oct 5, 2002
  4. bore

bore

May 20, 2015
    What're you using now to skin your deer?

5. Grateful

Oct 5, 2002
    Last year I used a Buck Vanguard. Prior to that I mostly used a Buck 110.

bore likes this.
  6. The Zieg

The Zieg Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2002
    If it's going to double for kitchen use you'll want to stay away from anything with a lower guard. You want to have as much knuckle clearance while having as blade contact with your cutting surface as possible, like a chef's knife. The only knife i own that's trail and bushcraft worthy and still ok in the kitchen is the Becker BK-15. I know they're discontinued, but you can probably find one out there in your price range. And it will skin a deer, for sure.

A close second, and it'll do good kitchen work, but doesn't have the geometry I spoke of above, is a puukko design.

Zieg

7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I would recommend you look at the Esee HM 3 or 4 series with the new handles they are extrememely comfortable and near your price range.

8. oldmanron

oldmanron

Jun 19, 2012
    I would strongly recommend the made-in-Idaho Camillus Bushcrafter ... little-known but great reviews ...

It is a moderately-priced knife that has many features that are sought out and/or recommended for a general-purpose outdoor knife:

1095 carbon steel ... just keep it lightly oiled ... easy to sharpen and holds an edge
    full-tang Scandi grind but with a tiny tiny micro-bevel
    4" Blade Length
    squared off blade spine for sparking a ferro rod
    Micarta handle scales (removable no less)
    factory patina gunmetal-grey finish (no gunky paint coating)
    classic Nessmuk-type blade shape ... a moderate belly perfect for skinning
    thick, high quality leather sheath ... looks and feels and smells like it was made in a high-end saddle shop

You really owe it to yourself to take a few minutes to do a search on it. Add a tiny Mora Eldris in your emergency-essentials pouch (for delicate brain surgery) ... maybe the heavy luxury of a Silky saw ... farwood forever if it's allowed ... and you can do almost anything!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  9. Grateful

Oct 5, 2002
    The Camillus Bushcrafter does look interesting. I’m curious tho, who’s really making it since Camillus is out of business?

buckfynn and jeepin like this.
  10. oldmanron

oldmanron

Jun 19, 2012
    You are mistaken. These Bushcrafter models are made at a small Camillus facility in Idaho.

https://www.camillusknives.com/prod...-fixed-blade-knife-with-leather-sheath-1.html

Ignore the MSRP ... they actually sell at a much lower price, as you will see with a bit of research. In Canada they sell at Canadian Tire for around CAN$100 and come with an unlimited lifetime exchange guarantee ... a great deal for a great knife.

beestokk likes this.
  11. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Condor Kephart @ half your budget.

[​IMG]

12. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    I would stay away from 1/8 inch thick knives with a scandi grind. They’re just not good all around knives. 3/32 thick is really the upper limit for them IME.

Can’t give a recommendation though. All of the knives I’m familiar with are either under 20 or over 100. Just didn’t want you to waste money on scandi.

13. oldmanron

oldmanron

Jun 19, 2012
    A lot of folks on many enthusiast websites (like this fine one) post a question much like this one ... and then ... after many folks have taken the time to offer carefully-considered opinions ... the original one-who-posts just buggers-off into the ether.

Never to be heard from again ... :)

The folks who respond (I am probably typical) would obviously like know how the story turned-out. What did you eventually do? Why? Did it turn-out as you'd expected?

vba, nostinkinbadges and Uncle Timbo like this.
  14. Wicked Sharp

Wicked Sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Buck Woodsman or Pathfinder might suit your needs. Both are well within your budget, and both are excellent for your requirements.

15. Grateful

Oct 5, 2002
    Coming back to reply with my decision and I found this. Sorry to disappoint, I wasn't aware of a deadline.
    I really appreciate all who offered suggestions for a knife purchase to fit my needs. The rest, I could have lived without.
    I have decided to order two knives that i think might fit my needs. A Mora 2000 and a Mora Kansbol. After I have received both knives I will post my initial thoughts. After using them both I will post my thoughts on each knife.
    I can only hope I will reply fast enough to keep oldmanron happy.

16. oldmanron

oldmanron

Jun 19, 2012
    I think that the Mora Kansbol is a very cool knife (I love my little Eldris) and look forward to hearing what you think of it.

I apologize if my comment annoyed you ... it is true more-often-than-not, and was not directed at you personally. I was just asking/suggesting that ... after you someday do make a decision ... you come back here and let us know, and how it worked out. No hurry ...

And look ... it worked! :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    vba and Midwest Firecraft like this.
  17. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell

Apr 20, 2001
    This ^

18. zfJames

zfJames

Dec 6, 2017
    I realize that you've already made a decision, but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Becker knives, particularly (for your scenario), the Becker Companion (BK2) or the BK10. The entire Becker lineup has cheap, durable fixed blades that have a good warranty.

19. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Like The Zieg, I was going to recommend the BK15 but, it's no longer available.

The BK-10 and BK-2 are fantastic knives but a bit hefty for day hikes and kitchen use.

Congrats on the Mora's, Grateful. Give them a try in the kitchen. Both the thinner part and the thicker toward the handle to see how a scandi grind works on food. Not my favorite but I haven't tried those with the partially thinned blade like the 2000.

zfJames likes this.
  20. Grateful

Oct 5, 2002
    Well I haven't actually ordered yet. Lol The Beckers look good to me but are a little more expensive.

zfJames likes this.