Fixed blade recommendation

Well I haven't actually ordered yet. Lol The Beckers look good to me but are a little more expensive.
Well, a BK2, while heavy, will last you for a long time. As many members here (and some of the videos on YouTube) can attest, the BK2 is nearly impossible to break (ok, if you do something really, really stupid for a long time, then it might). There are plenty of reviews on the Becker knives, so I won't dive too deep into them. I've got a BK7 and I fixed the (rather slick for some people's tastes) handle with some $3 grip tape and I melted the upper part of the plastic sheath insert so that the blade fit tightly into the sheath and I was good to go! The plastic BK2 sheath shouldn't need melting, but some of the nylon versions allow the knife to wobble and make extra noise if you don't 'customize' them.

Condor Kephart @ half your budget.

Condor%2520Kephart.JPG
I second this. Back to the basics.

Take a look at a ESEE Izula II, I used mine to field dress and process two hogs, a deer, and a turkey last hunting season.

My .02 cents is the BK-2 is a bit too big for processing wild game, but you could field dress a Buick with it...

Take a look at a ESEE Izula II, I used mine to field dress and process two hogs, a deer, and a turkey last hunting season.

My .02 cents is the BK-2 is a bit too big for processing wild game, but you could field dress a Buick with it...

I will take a look.

The Kephart looks good but I’ve seen mixed reviews on Condor. Some people claim they are tempered to soft.

Reactions: vba

Hence my concurrent recommendation for the BK10 (or, I guess, the BK16, since I have heard of people processing a lot of game with one of those). I understand your point about the Izula II, but isn't it a bit short?

The Becker BK16 is my favorite fixed blade. It's perfect for hiking, good for food prep, and while I don't hunt I think it would be fine for processing game. The BK2 is too heavy for my tastes. You could accomplish all tasks with it, but it's not really I dealing suited for them. It's a beast of knife though.
Other recommendation would be an Enzo trapper (comes in a variety of steels, handle options, and grinds). I have one in O1 and it's great. Mine is scandi and if I got another I think I'd prefer flat grind. But it's a solid knife with a great sheath.

Hence my concurrent recommendation for the BK10 (or, I guess, the BK16, since I have heard of people processing a lot of game with one of those). I understand your point about the Izula II, but isn't it a bit short?

I wear Large size gloves and the Izula II fits my hand good and even better with aftermarket TKC G-10 scales, the knife becomes a extension of my index finger.

I wear Large size gloves and the Izula II fits my hand good and even better with aftermarket TKC G-10 scales, the knife becomes a extension of my index finger.
Makes sense, especially considering that the small blade would be very nice for getting into the tight areas while field dressing.

Hello all. I’m wanting to add a fixed blade to carry while on day hikes. It will also probably see some kitchen use and it would be nice if it could field dress my yearly deer.
I would like to keep the budget around $75.00. 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 inch blade and carbon steel is preferred but I am open to stainless steel as well.
Anyone care to make a suggestion?
You are doing this all wrong! The goal is not to have one knife that does all of the above. This gives you a reason to buy at least a half dozen or so knives. Let's see.... carry on day hikes. That means a large knife for, well, large knife stuff. Chopping. etc. Then, you need a smaller knife to make some fuzz sticks for the fire you will make for your lunch. Now, on to kitchen. You need a small paring type knife for small paring type things. Then, you need a nice thin veggie slicer. Then, a robust knife for taking apart those pesky chickens etc. And, a nice long BBQ knife, and one for doing the Thanksgiving turkey. Field dressing a deer: you need a nice skinner, a fine caper knife, and maybe even something stout for rib cage and/or pelvis.

Play your cards right and buy at least 10 knives or so. ;):D

I have no issue with mine, and user reviews are consistently good.
If I based my life on what some people said or thought, I'd prolly never get out of bed in the morning.
Good for you leghog.
I realize OP already bought Moras, but I think the Kephart would of made a sweet knife and with the $ left over, he could of bought a Fiskars hatchet.

Last edited:
I am totally with Kootaga ... the little Fiskars hatchet is an incredible tool ... for about $30 on sale regularly in Canada. Add it to the stuff that I mentioned in my much-earlier post on Tuesday ...

I would strongly recommend the made-in-Idaho Camillus Bushcrafter ... little-known but great reviews ...

1095 carbon steel ... just keep it lightly oiled ... easy to sharpen and holds an edge
full-tang Scandi grind but with a tiny tiny micro-bevel
4" Blade Length
squared off blade spine for sparking a ferro rod
Micarta handle scales (removable no less)
factory patina gunmetal-grey finish (no gunky paint coating)
classic Nessmuk-type blade shape ... a moderate belly perfect for skinning
thick, high quality leather sheath ... looks and feels and smells like it was made in a high-end saddle shop

You really owe it to yourself to take a few minutes to do a search on it. Add a tiny Mora Eldris in your emergency-essentials pouch (for delicate brain surgery) ... maybe the heavy luxury of a Silky saw ... farwood forever if it's allowed ... and you can do almost anything!

I've settled on a Fallkniven F1 as my "all around go-to" for most all things outdoors. It is a bit more expensive than your stated price range, but you can find 'em used for just a few bucks more. After using them for a couple of years now, I feel that they are worth every penny of what I paid for them......

If you like the F1 you might like the Pendleton hunter. I'll recommend my favourite knife. Rat7. Perfect knife. And the sheath is perfect. Some don't like it but I do. Easy to strap to a pack. Has a pocket for a folder, ferro rod and sharpener. Since its nylon it dries fast doesn't freeze. Also have the bigger version.. Rtak 2. Pretty much the same but bigger. 10 inch blade. A little bigger than you're looking for tho

Last edited:
Not sure if you are still looking for responses...
I have the 2000 and I would say for just general use a companion is just as good if not better. I seriously dislike the 2000 handle and at night unless you shine a torch on the knife you cant feel which way the edge is aligned, the Kansbol looks to have the same problem but I have not used it, to me a knife that you cant tell edge facing by just gripping the handle is a big no no.

The best cheap Moras in my opinion are the 711/746(carbon/stainless) and the bigger brothers such as the 748, I have only used the larger versions but they are identical besides blade length. The handles look a little whack and I ain't a fan of the look, but I love the feel and cant stress how good they are to use. The blades are about the same width as the 2000 despite looking like a slimmer blade in images and have a slightly higher edge angle so they wont seem quite as sharp but hold the edge longer.

Was looking at the Condor models yesterday and the Mayflower knife looks like a winner to me. Like Leghog, I have never had any issues with the Condor Bushlore (or Kephart) or it's little brother the small Bushlore. The edge needs to be thinned down on the regular Bushlore and Kephart to make it a slicer. I honestly carry the little Bushlore fairly often in the woods along with a folder. I really don't cut much of anything in the woods that my SAK can't handle. But since I like knives, I carry a fixed blade too.

Just got a larger (more expensive relative to the OPs requirements) Bark River Wilderness Explorer to try out and likely use as my regular woods knife along with a SAK. I like the guard as I can feel which side has the edge (for sure) without looking. The thin Moras are always good for kitchen duty and should last a long time. My 2000 was a little loose in the plastic sheath, but with heat, it tightened up. It really isn't a bad knife. The handle...? Feels about like most of the plastic handled Mora's to me. I don't normally carry a Mora in the woods; I just like something a bit beefier. The BK-15 is a standard that I use for woods knives and really like it. Many of my knives are shaped similar to the BK-15.

As far as hunting is concerned, I think the Buck Vanguard is hard to beat (for the price). I don't generally carry the same knives hunting that I might just wandering or hiking in the woods. I would generally not choose for example the Condor Bushlore or a Kephart styled knife for hunting. But frankly, anything that is sharp and cuts will work for hunting (even a folder).

Last edited:
Back