Fixed blade recommendation

I own both a Kansbol and a 2000. And a lot of draws full of other blades.

Either one or both will serve you well. They are in my opinion, one of if not the most underated knife out there.

From kitchen to camp they will rock your world if you let them. The Kansbol has a slightly better handle and sheath system. The 2000 has a poorly chosen color for the handle. But no one will steal it from you.

I am a fan of the Bucks too. I carried a 102 Woodsman as my only knife for years. Until I found this place, and lost my mind. The new Buck 117 Small Special is also quite nice.

The Kansbol/2000 blade shape does a lot well. They arrive stupid sharp and are easy to keep that way. I think their lack of popularity is because they fall between the two Mora Camps. The really cheap original type Mora Knives like the #1 and #2. That at times can be had for less than $20.00. And the pricier Moras like the Bushcraft Black and Garberg.

I was never a Mora fan. I wasn't a hater either. Just never had any experience with any. Until someone threw one in with a knife I bought. I actually took it to the woods figuring I would most likely destroy it on the first outing or the second.

I own at least 7 now.

If prestige doesn't matter to you. And you don't need to baton through a '67 Oldsmobile. You will love the Kansbol/2000.

This from a guy with Randalls, Fiddlebacks, L.T. Wrights, Barkies, Beckers, Ka-bars, Bucks, Fallknivens, and a whole bunch more. The Kansbol is that good. At least for your intended use and it's well within your budget.

Please do report back. If and when you can. I'd be very interested to hear your feedback.

Hope this helps ya,
LV

Reactions: vba
I'll say it one last time.
IMG_7322-XL.jpg

This is a seriously underrated blade.
IMG_7341-XL.jpg

Perhaps the most underrated in all of Knifedom,
IMG_7339-XL.jpg

Oh wow, I thought this thread had died long ago. The truth is I never got around to ordering anything.

I want to apologize for leaving everyone hanging and thank everyone for the replies. I got busy and distracted and kind of forgot all about it.

We will forgive you, if you buy a Terävä Puukko 110 and post pic of it in action:D

Im not sure what that is , gonna have to look it up. :p Im definetly gonna have to do something. I feel bad about skipping out on a thread i started.

That's OK. You got side tracked now let's get back to picking out a good knife. The Kansbol looks good. I bought a used Garberg for a good price. Most of my knives are used.

I would be more interested in the 2000 or the Kansbol if they didn’t have that odd extra grind on the end. It seems so unecessary.

Don't overthink this when in the same spot as the OP. Look, frontiersman and pioneering people's got by in untamed wilderness for about 300 years using nothing more than big kitchen knives. An Old Hickory 7-10" butcher knife will do perfectly for 95% of what anyone needs to do out in the woods (when paired with an axe/hatchet and/or saw).

The Russel Green River recommendation is also excellent. Back to basics indeed... Becker's are fantastic, but most people don't need a 1/4" thick knife in the woods. get one if you like, but it's not necessary for camp tasks and light to moderate woodcraft.

I would be more interested in the 2000 or the Kansbol if they didn’t have that odd extra grind on the end. It seems so unecessary.

It's not, not really. It thins out there to be more useful in more slicey tasks. It practically peels off tomato slices at the molecular level. Because the rest of the blade is more traditional scandi, when cutting things like carrots, potatoes, etc.. the scandi grind will split those food items. The thinner ground blade at the front of the Kansbol/2000 is more like a traditional v grind kitchen knife. It's also excellent at skinning and butchering game; it couldn't do that as well if it was a straight up scandi grind the whole way at full blade thickness.

Back