Fixed blade rookie

I just love the efficiency of this knife that I bought two stainless models (gave the serrated one to my brother). During a gun show, could't help but fondle every rookie that's on display until I picked up a G-10 model and was really impressed by the lighter balanced feel but more importantly by the very solid lock-up.Of course I bought it, is there a choice? As soon as I got home I loosened the pivot screw to check for blade play. Other knives do not exhibit blade play when the pivot hardware is tight, but movement is evident if loosened. But not this particular rookie, still feels like a fixed blade. Hats off to the Spydesign and QA teams. BTW, also bought another engineering marvel,model 99 experimental. What a knife. Thank God the Del Mar gunshow is not every weekend,otherwise poor house here I come.

Ahh, but your love of Spyderco will send you to the poorhouse just as surely
smile.gif

Welcome aboard!

[This message has been edited by Ferret (edited 05-03-2000).]

Bluefin, what is the 99 experimental? I thought I knew all the Spyderco models.

You're right about the G10 Rookie. I like it too. Too bad they DC'd it.

BTW, if you start going into withdrawl from the DMGS, stop by the shop. It's easy to find.

DW

------------------
Dennis Wright
Wright Knife & Sporting Goods
1-800-400-1980
("Have a knife day!")
wrightknife@ixpres.com

Welcome Bluefin. Pleased your first post would be here and thanx for the kind words.

I also need to know what experimental 99 is.

sal

Dennis,
The Experimental 99(plain edge)/100(serrated) is a Navigator variant with slotted Almite handles. Knifecenter.com/spyderc has pictures/details. The slots provide for a more secure grip in the metal handle. According to James Mattis the entire Navigator series does not appear in Spyderco's Y2K lineup, but there's more in the pipeline.

Sal,
Sorry, didn't mean to not address you in my reply to Dennis. Guess I was processing the transmission when you were also posting. Now I'm getting curious as you were also asking about Exp 99 and 100. I found some more "models" in the net. How about Experimental 1 and 2 under the Spyderco listing at www.discountknives.com? They do not have any pictures. Prototypes, experimentals??? - Maybe it's time to invest in the Spyderco book.

Blue Fin - no prob.

Experimentals are models that we're not sure we want to go into full production. We run a test batch to see. If the ELU react favorable and we can build them properly, then we give it a C # and put it into the catalog.

When we sort out the Web site (Gail is working on that now). We plan to have a section on "Sal's test stuff". Available through the site or dealers (or both) while the test lasts. Like some of the kitchen knives that Mad Dog has been playing with.

sal

Back