Fixed Blades in Use

Like many on this forum, I enjoy seeing knives in use. Several years ago, I remember there being many threads on the forum of people using their fixed blades for food preparation, woodcraft/bushcraft, camping, processing game, abuse, testing, at the job site, etc. I'd like to see a resurgence of these posts.

From tiny neck knives to large choppers and machetes -- anything goes, but it has to be a fixed blade. Please share your pics and any stories or adventures where your knife was used! :)

Today, I had the opportunity to get out and use my knives and small wood stove.

I discovered my Cold Steel Bushman doesn't hold up well to chopping and batoning Osage. The edge became bent and wavy. To be fair, I purchased it as a factory second so I'm not sure if this is typical performance for this model.

HNppNns.jpg

Efo7TKB.jpg

After ruining my Bushman's edge, my ESEE 3HM took over batoning. Osage is hard wood and this piece was a bit too large for the 3HM, but it got the job done without damage. The log was about 4"-4.5" diameter so the knife had to start splitting near the edge of the log.

KlmRmvq.jpg

0qIbIP5.jpg

V0TVjMh.jpg

Eventually, it made it through.

C9KH4Ap.jpg

DiRMirs.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the knife processing kindling, but it was used to fire up my Ohuhu stove.

MHeuN3A.jpg

For those who notice, yes, the bottom part of the stove is upside down. I noticed it after it was too hot to handle :oops:

I don't have any action shots, but my fixed blades have never warped like that :eek:

According to the website, it being a second should not impact it's function. It was just probably not tough enough for splitting wood.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it's only 2mm thick. It slices well, but not the best choice for chopping and splitting hard wood. Now I'm on the hunt for a more robust fixed blade to replace it.

P PeaceInOurTime That Esee 3HM is on my list. I’ve been cutting back on knife purchases but I’ll have one of those within the next year. I’ve got the Izula 2 but it’s just a tad too small. Gonna keep it for my son tho. Love the wear on your blade coating

P PeaceInOurTime That Esee 3HM is on my list. I’ve been cutting back on knife purchases but I’ll have one of those within the next year. I’ve got the Izula 2 but it’s just a tad too small. Gonna keep it for my son tho. Love the wear on your blade coating

I really like the 3HM. My wife bought it for me as a gift, but I think I would have opted for the 4HM for just a little extra blade length. I stripped off the black coating and forced a patina with vinegar and mustard. I think it turned out pretty good :)

Perhaps a Becker BK2? Good rep for being a tank knife.

I had a BK2 several years ago and sold it. Now I kind of wish I still had it. The BK2 would have laughed at that log in my OP :D.

Busse blades are pretty indestructible. Take a look at Carothers Performance Knives as well. Those are my two favorites.

I'll take a look, thanks! I was actually browsing the Busse sub forum this morning.

Lots of good knives that won't fold under pressure. My thoughts on cold steel are fairly well known; so I won't reiterate (if one doesn't know, it's easy enough to deduce).
Beckers, Swamp Rat, Carothers (CPK), REK... heck, even Ontario offer some pretty darned good knives for the price. It's all a matter of how much you want vs how much you're willing to pay. I've given up on my BK9, at times, and tagged in my MBB M-8... where there's a will, there's s way.

Fixed blades cutting stuff on the ranch

m1vRVnA.jpg

vvSDV1e.jpg

Cookie has some steaks a going for the crew:

WfvFdly.jpg

lTdtiak.jpg

anLW9ZE.jpg

Salty had forgotten to sharpen his knife, so he was using mine, see it laying on the calf's hip?

YtGt22k.jpg

The wife turning a bull calf into a steer:

0UECzKT.jpg

9Zsdg0b.jpg

Young Emma learning how to cut:

IvOo8Ae.jpg

She's kinda got the pretty pirate look going on:

2KHNQh2.jpg

Smoke doing the surgery this time:

opF9qDY.jpg

rHQrOik.jpg

The wife's got this one:

E33vXyT.jpg

Told Logan we're ready for another. He shoots one of his heat seeking long range missiles:

R8cOYAi.jpg

He brings it on around and Smoke grabs the heels:

q7KdM2e.jpg

Fixed blades on the ranch:

YOl9CCV.jpg

Got chainsaws for bigger stuff. Looking to see if there were any knife handles in this old burl. Wasn't really, just two very small ones.

sZq5fC3.jpg

Lots of good knives that won't fold under pressure. My thoughts on cold steel are fairly well known; so I won't reiterate (if one doesn't know, it's easy enough to deduce).
Beckers, Swamp Rat, Carothers (CPK), REK... heck, even Ontario offer some pretty darned good knives for the price. It's all a matter of how much you want vs how much you're willing to pay. I've given up on my BK9, at times, and tagged in my MBB M-8... where there's a will, there's s way.

It's been a while since I've been up to date on current fixed blades -- I have a lot of catching up to do. The BK9 has been in my sights for a while, though. My budget will be around $100.

Fixed blades cutting stuff on the ranch

m1vRVnA.jpg

vvSDV1e.jpg

Cookie has some steaks a going for the crew:

WfvFdly.jpg

lTdtiak.jpg

anLW9ZE.jpg

Salty had forgotten to sharpen his knife, so he was using mine, see it laying on the calf's hip?

YtGt22k.jpg

The wife turning a bull calf into a steer:

0UECzKT.jpg

9Zsdg0b.jpg

Young Emma learning how to cut:

IvOo8Ae.jpg

She's kinda got the pretty pirate look going on:

2KHNQh2.jpg

Smoke doing the surgery this time:

opF9qDY.jpg

rHQrOik.jpg

The wife's got this one:

E33vXyT.jpg

Told Logan we're ready for another. He shoots one of his heat seeking long range missiles:

R8cOYAi.jpg

He brings it on around and Smoke grabs the heels:

q7KdM2e.jpg

Fixed blades on the ranch:

YOl9CCV.jpg

Got chainsaws for bigger stuff. Looking to see if there were any knife handles in this old burl. Wasn't really, just two very small ones.

sZq5fC3.jpg

I was hoping you would post your pics :) . I always enjoy your posts!

ESEE is great too, with an excellent warranty. Might be able to find something used in your range.

0A61451D-4C9A-455A-946C-8CC2DAEA3DC3.jpeg 5B2AFBAC-15BB-4292-833E-C92D75AB5B01.jpeg 612F7233-C437-4E02-90B2-D7DB63D94915.jpeg Still fairly new to fixed blades. I’ve had cheap ones that were Christmas gifts over the years that I’ve used outdoors but never any decent ones. This Big Chris EDC is on loan and I’ve had it for a couple weeks. Today I stripped some old scrap wire and cut up a frozen pizza box with it.

Like many on this forum, I enjoy seeing knives in use. Several years ago, I remember there being many threads on the forum of people using their fixed blades for food preparation, woodcraft/bushcraft, camping, processing game, abuse, testing, at the job site, etc. I'd like to see a resurgence of these posts.

From tiny neck knives to large choppers and machetes -- anything goes, but it has to be a fixed blade. Please share your pics and any stories or adventures where your knife was used! :)

Today, I had the opportunity to get out and use my knives and small wood stove.

I discovered my Cold Steel Bushman doesn't hold up well to chopping and batoning Osage. The edge became bent and wavy. To be fair, I purchased it as a factory second so I'm not sure if this is typical performance for this model.

HNppNns.jpg

Efo7TKB.jpg

After ruining my Bushman's edge, my ESEE 3HM took over batoning. Osage is hard wood and this piece was a bit too large for the 3HM, but it got the job done without damage. The log was about 4"-4.5" diameter so the knife had to start splitting near the edge of the log.

KlmRmvq.jpg

0qIbIP5.jpg

V0TVjMh.jpg

Eventually, it made it through.

C9KH4Ap.jpg

DiRMirs.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the knife processing kindling, but it was used to fire up my Ohuhu stove.

MHeuN3A.jpg

For those who notice, yes, the bottom part of the stove is upside down. I noticed it after it was too hot to handle :oops:
:rolleyes: The Bushman 2nd cost what ? Maybe $10 . Probably shouldn't expect the world at that price . :confused:

It's pretty good for what it is (and what it costs) , a knife that you can very easily make into a spear . :cool::thumbsup:

:rolleyes: The Bushman 2nd cost what ? Maybe $10 . Probably shouldn't expect the world at that price . :confused:

It's pretty good for what it is (and what it costs) , a knife that you can very easily make into a spear . :cool::thumbsup:

I agree, it's still a neat knife and I'll continue to mess around with it. It was cheap enough I could justify abusing and enjoying. I didn't have high expectations, but I figured the edge would chip out if anything were to happen and the edge warping like that was unexpected and kind of interesting. Didn't mean for my original post to sound like I was flabbergasted at the end result :), just sharing my experience.

May not be what you had in mind, but this BK62 was long enough to get in there and remove a bunch of dirt and rocks out of my wheel. Saved my @$$!
View attachment 1408505

Haha Just the thought of this makes me cringe! You gotta do what you gotta do. How was the edge afterwards?

View attachment 1408508 View attachment 1408509 View attachment 1408510 Still fairly new to fixed blades. I’ve had cheap ones that were Christmas gifts over the years that I’ve used outdoors but never any decent ones. This Big Chris EDC is on loan and I’ve had it for a couple weeks. Today I stripped some old scrap wire and cut up a frozen pizza box with it.

Your posts never disappoint. Love seeing your at-work pics :). What steel is that?

Back