08.jpg

Fixed blades cutting stuff on the ranch

m1vRVnA.jpg

vvSDV1e.jpg

Cookie has some steaks a going for the crew:

WfvFdly.jpg

lTdtiak.jpg

anLW9ZE.jpg

Salty had forgotten to sharpen his knife, so he was using mine, see it laying on the calf's hip?

YtGt22k.jpg

The wife turning a bull calf into a steer:

0UECzKT.jpg

9Zsdg0b.jpg

Young Emma learning how to cut:

IvOo8Ae.jpg

She's kinda got the pretty pirate look going on:

2KHNQh2.jpg

Smoke doing the surgery this time:

opF9qDY.jpg

rHQrOik.jpg

The wife's got this one:

E33vXyT.jpg

Told Logan we're ready for another. He shoots one of his heat seeking long range missiles:

R8cOYAi.jpg

He brings it on around and Smoke grabs the heels:

q7KdM2e.jpg

Fixed blades on the ranch:

YOl9CCV.jpg

Got chainsaws for bigger stuff. Looking to see if there were any knife handles in this old burl. Wasn't really, just two very small ones.

sZq5fC3.jpg
This is a truly special way to live. Congratulations on your success.

Haha Just the thought of this makes me cringe! You gotta do what you gotta do. How was the edge afterwards?

Your posts never disappoint. Love seeing your at-work pics :). What steel is that?
Haha, yeah there were some minor nicks toward the front, but nothing that won't sharpen out (no I haven't done that yet). I was pretty diligent about making sure that if I had to bang it, the spine saw the impact... not the edge. Even if I destroyed it, it would probably be worth it to avoid whatever damage my wheel bouncing down the road would have caused!

The Becker BK9 is called "The King" by Beckerheads and we have an expression that goes like this, You can't not have a 9.
That being said, the BK2 is about the most useful, most rugged and most indestructible hunk of sharpened 1095 CroVan you can get with very comfortable handles (same as other large Beckers); at a price within your budget as well.

Last edited:
I don't usually think to stop and take a picture when I'm using a knife, fixed blade or otherwise. I might have something, though

Busse blades are pretty indestructible. Take a look at Carothers Performance Knives as well. Those are my two favorites.
I know it's probably not popular, but a froe. It'd be 1/50th the cost of these and designed for OP's task. I don't even understand how he batoned with the ESEE as only the handle was visible.

I know it's probably not popular, but a froe. It'd be 1/50th the cost of these and designed for OP's task. I don't even understand how he batoned with the ESEE as only the handle was visible.

Even better than a froe, I could've used a hydraulic splitter. Even cheaper than a froe, I could've used a sharpened piece of scrap metal... But I used my ESEE 3HM because I wanted to, even realizing there are better tools for the job. I'm just enjoying my knives while taking into account their limitations and not complaining if I cause damage if caused by abuse.

I guess I don't understand why people seem to take issue with knives being used like this, especially fixed blades -- on a knife enthusiast forum of all places. I think we all know there are actual appropriate and dedicated tools for jobs like splitting wood.

Yeah but what he had was his knife. I'm not walking around with a froe hanging off of my belt. A froe is great if you are splitting wood near your house and tool shed. But even then I just use an axe and I'm done.

That CS Bushman is made with a very low RC HT to be tough and easy to sharpen as well as cheap. Supposedly a lot have been sent to 3rd world countries. I bet you could bang it straight on an anvil.

Back