Fjord hiker question

Gotta have one :) I've been looking at these for long enough - good combination of design and material, and of course, quality manufacture! Just the ticket for an easy to carry but sturdy enough for whatever comes its way field knife. This plus one of your machetes will make a pretty good carry toolbox! (If you gotta lug it, it better be useful ;) - I already know that the machete i picked up last year gets the job done).

Gotta have one :) I've been looking at these for long enough - good combination of design and material, and of course, quality manufacture! Just the ticket for an easy to carry but sturdy enough for whatever comes its way field knife. This plus one of your machetes will make a pretty good carry toolbox! (If you gotta lug it, it better be useful ;) - I already know that the machete i picked up last year gets the job done).

Order in:thumbsup:

I'd love to hear your feedback after you give it some use. The fjord hiker is a design that I personally am very happy with and plan on keeping around for a long time. Its a seriously capable knife for its size and the handle is great for making really hard cuts that are tough on the hand and forearm.

Have you looked into Maxamet any?

I had to do a quick google on that steel it sounds interesting but might not be the best choice for a knife like this. Some sources say its difficult to work/grind and warps during heat treat. The carbon is pretty high I wonder if it would be prone to chipping.

Have you looked into Maxamet any?
Hey Joe!

I've been MIA the past few days as I've been trying to get everything set up in my new shop and get some outstanding orders done.

I've never used Maxamet but I've been following it and it looks like a material that could replace 10V. From what I've heard, despite its carbide content, it is not prone to chipping and has wear resistance that is superior to 10V. Very, very promising.

Right now I have a run of 10V blades I'm grinding but after those are finished I'd like to get some Maxamet and test it out. 10V has been the king of high wear steels for a very long time but if Maxamet can support a thin edge and does not pose any major issues with workability it could be the new go to for ultra high wear blades.

In the mean time, the run of 10V Hacksaws and EDC's will be going out to HT in a couple weeks. These blanks were actually cut in 2015 but I lost them during a shop move and ended up finding them a few weeks ago. o_O As fate would have it they were all rust free and ready to be ground!

I would like to help. How can I contribute to your maxamet testing? Money?, testing?

Do you still have my cell number?

I no longer have your number. Shoot me a text over.

If you could help with testing maxamet that would be incredibly helpful. I also like to get a variety of opinions on a material.

Last edited:
Order in:thumbsup:

I'd love to hear your feedback after you give it some use. The fjord hiker is a design that I personally am very happy with and plan on keeping around for a long time. Its a seriously capable knife for its size and the handle is great for making really hard cuts that are tough on the hand and forearm.

Any updates? Kind of quiet here lately! hope all is ok with you.

I am getting a Fjord Hiker any day now. I will give some feedback afterwards. Really looking forward to trying it out!

Hey guys,

I've been really busy with school and work so I've been MIA lately but the fjord hikers are just about ready to go and will ship early this week!

I need to get some updates posted on the new models coming in and the new shop as well.

I figured that was the case, but thanks for the post. Looking forward to putting mine to work, and seeing how other things are shaping up! Good luck with the new school year - although I know luck is not that involved :)

Back