FK vs FK2

The handle is very close to the same in profile, but wider in width, however the developed circumference (the size that you feel in your hand) is about the same as the original. This is because the shape is less planer and more rounded. I did this so the knife could be turned in the hand to offer more grip options for field craft work where the original kind of locked in at one angle. I've also tweaked the ass end of it to better accommodate a three finger grip. That plus the relatively long handle gives you some length for a little bit of light chopping (for such a small knife). My goal here is a versatile hand tool. This is why I wanted the prototypes to go to end users with experience with the original. The whole crew here has given it their .02 but I want some user feedback before we go into production.

There's some really good comparisons in the thread starting with Nathan's quote, just click on the little blue up arrow:thumbsup:

I believe the blade portion is very similar if not the same. The fk2 handle is more round and fills the hand. The original has a slab feel to it. Also the fk has a pry bar pommel where the fk2 has a standard rounded pommel with hidden lanyard hole.

I believe the blade portion is very similar if not the same. The fk2 handle is more round and fills the hand. The original has a slab feel to it. Also the fk has a pry bar pommel where the fk2 has a standard rounded pommel with hidden lanyard hole.

Any idea if the scales are interchangeable? Doesn't really look like it but figured I'd ask.

Honestly, here's my take from using both - the fk2 has a more ergonomic handle that works in more positions. The fk1 feels slightly more nimble to me(I know it's basically the same blade shape, but it feels less wide). I enjoy the exposed pommel on the fk1 for prying and opening a beer ;) I've also used it as a flat screw driver once or twice in the field. I enjoy the smooth pommel on the fk2 when driving in the blade because it gives my thumb good purchase. Handle length doesn't impact me on either and I wear XXL gloves. Initially I thought I'd prefer the longer handle on the fk1 due to my hand size, but the extra girth of the fk2 made it feel just as at home.

For me I lean to the fk1 but it's a very hard choice. If I used my blades in a larger variety of hand positions I know I would pick the fk2. That being said, I plan to order at least two more fk2s :) it's just that good.

plot thickens...just picked up an original FK, but the "3V" doesn't have the delta (triangle) around it. Is it a prototype or something? only other difference is that the height of the flat/ unground portion of the blade appears to be somewhere between that of the FK and Fk2. Pics to follow shortly.

Nope. Just pre delta.
ah ok there were gen. 1 FKs that were 3V and later ones were Delta 3V. I think what trips me up is that there are multiple runs of the same knife, but slight variations between them. Nothing wrong with improvement, don't get me wrong, it's just harder to learn/ know what's what...that until I fully commit and spend all of my nights studying Carother's...which is probably just a week or so in the future....

ah ok there were gen. 1 FKs that were 3V and later ones were Delta 3V. I think what trips me up is that there are multiple runs of the same knife, but slight variations between them. Nothing wrong with improvement, don't get me wrong, it's just harder to learn/ know what's what...that until I fully commit and spend all of my nights studying Carother's...which is probably just a week or so in the future....

Do it! Highly recommend it. It's a lot of fun and you'll gain a greater appreciation for all things Carother's.

Surprised this hasn't happened, yet...
9zc8R3o.jpg

tmrvUzW.jpg

The scales on the FK were buffed, FK2 unbuffed...but I took a rag and a little buffing/polishing compound to it, and knocked the roughness down a bit. I think I found a nice compromise in looks and feel.

Last edited:
The 3V without the delta is still a tweaked heat treat protocol similar to the Delta 3V heat treat protocol.
Nathan said in one thread or another that the differences in overall performance would likely be imperceptible during normal use - or something to that effect.
At least that’s how I remember it... which is likely wrong... sorry.
Now I feel like I may have created fake news or alternative facts.

Back