FK2

My FK2 literally just came via the post, and these are my very first, out-of-the-box observations (only opinions, this is just taking in the new car smell in the showroom, no road miles yet):

Man, oh man! Nice Knife! So sleek and business like. And this a true refinement and improvement (the "generational changes" are more evident than the EDC versus the EDC2, for example).

The surface finishes are maybe one step down - milling marks on the bevels, grind marks on the flats are visible. Nice, but not as finished as other CPK models. This is absolutely minor, but it is my only "critique". [NtM is very honest in all sales threads about the finish on these knives.]

I like the handle much better than the first gen. FK. Really well balanced and fills the hand a bit more. CPK handles for this style have come to take on such a recognizable look and feel. This handle is true to form and well done in proportion for this knife.

This thing is wicked sharp!! But even there, the edge bevel looks like it was done at a pretty coarse grit, then cleaned up with a few passes on a stone. That will look nicer over time with sharpening and stropping. As a factory edge though, this thing is silly sharp. [here again, NtM has been open and has fully described the sharpening process at the shop]

The sheath is really, really nice. The knife snaps into place, and there is just no rattle, none! Perfect retention and release. This is a really well done sheath.

Again, these are just my out-of-the-box observations. Any critique is from a context of comparison to other CPK models, and having a very high expectation based on prior examples.

Just got mine. While I love the first version, I think I might like the fuller grip on this version a little more. Now if I could just get some antique scales for 2.0 it'd be a done deal. :)

And a nice surprise is that it fits a backup FK sheath I never really used like a glove.

IMG_20190215_133729157.jpg

Thanks again, team cpk.

I think you covered it all TRfromMT TRfromMT . Well said.

My short review: I like it!

The thin-ish handle was my only nitpick on the original. I think this one feels a little better right off, but I WILL test it! The sheath is perfect and is a great improvement.

lm7I1nrl.jpg

I was curious about the HDFK dangler vs this drop loop. The drop loop is well done. I plan to swap between the TecLok and drop loop, depending on use.

Here’s a comparison shot of the ride height for anyone interested in that.

tvyin4Xl.jpg

Perhaps a comparison shot of the handle thickness between the FK and FK2? Unless I missed it scrolling back through, in which case my apologies.

We're going to make 700 of them this year for regular sales. If that doesn't result in sales that stay open over the weekend we will do a pre-order. Perhaps around the end of the year. Folks will get what they've come for, we're working on it.

I just unboxed my Fk2 and I really like it. The Ergonomics are spot on for my tastes in a small/medium sized knife that will be used for extended cutting. The handle fits naturally into my oval of my relaxed hand. I should not experience any fatigue. I’ll try to get out Monday any run it through it’s paces. Hopefully it won’t be too cold. The burlap scales are gorgeous!

Here are some pictures.
Replaced the drop leg with a leather/kydex drop from another sheath. Makes it the perfect carry height now.
xsEHlrJ.jpg

Some pictures with other well known knives for reference.
P6lRYpp.jpg

And finally handle comparison next to Esee 4hm
rVMJ0qZ.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pictures.
Replaced the drop leg with a leather/kydex drop from another sheath. Makes it the perfect carry height now.
4gqurGl.jpg

4gqurGl.jpg

Some pictures with other well known knives for reference.
8TYpqTU.jpg

8TYpqTU.jpg

And finally handle comparison next to Esee 4hm
3P9JQ7Q.jpg

3P9JQ7Q.jpg

Ps the images are not working. If anyone can provide guidance from uploading off imgur

whelp, I tried. Are you sure your images are still there?

Just got mine as well, initial impressions:
When I first picked it up I went.. ooooooo :)
Balance and overall feel is light years refined from the previous version, you can tell just by holding it there was a lot of thought put into how it feels in your hand, very nice! I want to say it's lighter than the old fk but I haven't weighed them. Love the new blade geometry, thumb ramp, beefier handle groove texture and thumb cutouts ala hdfk. I think the only place I prefer the old fk is at the butt pommel end. The new one has a pronounced flare toward the back that presses into the meat of my palm just a little in certain grips compared to the old, but I'm probably just used to how the original feels in my hand and will get used to it. Overall a very nice update and improvement to the original (which is saying a lot because the og kicks ass :D)
both.jpg handles.jpg
*edit:
After using this for about a week, the flared out end of the handle is a non issue. I could use about another 1/8” length on the handle but that’s pretty nitpicky. I’m 6’3”, I bet for the largest number of users the handle will feel about perfect. I absolutely love this new version, job well done Nathan and crew!

Last edited:
A few more initial thoughts, I really like how the thumb ramp has a shallow U shape to it. I like how close I can get my hand to the cutting edge for detailed work. There is a lot of flat cutting edge to the blade, which is a plus for me. Personally, I would like the blade profile to have slightly less belly. Overall, the Fk2 is a well thought out knife and I look forward to using it.

I am loving the look of the new handle on this; hard to justify replacing the old FK though (the pommel as much as I don’t really like them on a knive IS useful for light prying and chipping ice especially built up on the floor mats of the the truck).

Has anyone tried to see how close the bolts at least line up on the FK/UFK?

Back