FK2

New to me and I'm really liking these green TT scales. I also made some g10 liners to thicken the handle up a little.

But who cares about liners...look at that Penetrator Tip!!!

Would you mind doing a separate thread on how you made the liners? I would like to beef up a couple of my knives grips and yours look like Nathan did them.

Would you mind doing a separate thread on how you made the liners? I would like to beef up a couple of my knives grips and yours look like Nathan did them.

Figured I would post this here since it will be completely underwhelming. Hope that's ok.

I bought .06 thick g10 liners and used the knife scales as guides, mostly for safety (I was accidentally stabbed by a HDFK two years ago and had a quick ER visit..don't let anyone tell you the HDFK isn't stabby, lol.) Anyway, I drilled the holes and made them a little bigger to account for both CPK precision and also my sloppy work. I then put both liners together between both scales used a belt sander to grind the liners down closely to the scales. I used a dremel for the finger pocket area behind the guard(quillon?). Lastly, I installed them and used a utility knife to scrape the liners down until they were close enough that I couldn't feel them in most areas. There are still a few places where it doesn't match exactly but hasn't caused any hotspots yet.

I should also say that previously I have used the thin plastic liners from a notebook cover...It only takes a few minutes and you can use just a utility knife. If you do one layer for each scale it adds about 0.02 inches total, feels noticeably different (to me at least) and still fits in the sheath without any mods.

Hope this helps a little!

Man all these great posts!! I wanted a H&T with swedge and a FK2 with penetrator tip now haha.

at least I have one FK2

l7FPxYfh.jpg

I heard that a file will slide right across delta 3v

Just line a couple holes up, screw em on and file er down.... right? No?

Eh. I'm probably wrong.

This might work and is not a bad idea, but speaking from a little direct experience - be very careful. The file, especially a good one, will cut. If you are very careful to hold it flat, you might get away with it. The corner of the file, connecting with an inside radius of the belly of the knife, will dig in. The result can look like someone tried to strip a Busse at home or something ;).

My approach, again with just having tried this once or twice, is to trace the outline with a very sharp pencil (sharpie will bleed/wick and blurr the actual line). Do ALL of the sanding and shaping with the liners OFF of the knife.

In the process you trace the line, grind down to the line, check the fit. And repeat about 5-6 times until the fit is perfect. Here is another tip - micarta will leave a fuzzy burr after sanding that makes tracing the line the next time difficult. So lay the liner flat on a flattening plate and sand off the burr around the edge. Trace, sand, check, repeat.

Always trace the tang of the knife. It seems to work better than tracing the scales.

The holes in the tang make a perfect drill template. 1/4" drill bit. Drill one hole and use a rolled up piece of sandpaper to open up the hole (the fastener will not go in a drilled 1/4" hole in micarta with out opening it up). Drill one hole. sand. use a fastener as a dowel pin, then clamp the whole shebang down and drill the second hole. Sand, fit a second fastener, clamp, and drill the 3rd hole.

If it would help, I could do a tutorial someday with pictures.

Again, just done this myself once, so I could be wrong, too...

Last edited:
This might work and is not a bad idea, but speaking from a little direct experience - be very careful. The file, especially a good one, will cut. If you are very careful to hold it flat, you might get away with it. The corner of the file, connecting with an inside radius of the belly of the knife, will dig in. The result can look like someone tried to strip a Busse at home or something ;).

My approach, again with just having tried this once or twice, is to trace the outline with a very sharp pencil (sharpie will bleed/wick and blurr the actual line). Do ALL of the sanding and shaping with the liners OFF of the knife.

In the process you trace the line, grind down to the line, check the fit. And repeat about 5-6 times until the fit is perfect. Here is another tip - micarta will leave a fuzzy burr after sanding that makes tracing the line the next time difficult. So lay the liner flat on a flattening plate and sand off the burr around the edge. Trace, sand, check, repeat.

Always trace the tang of the knife. It seems to work better than tracing the scales.

The holes in the tang make a perfect drill template. 1/4" drill bit. Drill one hole and use a rolled up piece of sandpaper to open up the hole (the fastener will not go in a drilled 1/4" hole in micarta with out opening it up). Drill one hole. sand. use a fastener as a dowel pin, then clamp the whole shebang down and drill the second hole. Sand, fit a second fastener, clamp, and drill the 3rd hole.

If it would help, I could do a tutorial someday with pictures.

Again, just done this myself once, so I could be wrong, too...

That is great advice.... I would highly recommend listening to someone with more experience, like TR.

TR, I'd also like to see any pics/tutorials you would make.

New to me and I'm really liking these green TT scales. I also made some g10 liners to thicken the handle up a little.

But who cares about liners...look at that Penetrator Tip!!!

Is this the acid wash finish? I was considering getting it on one of the DEKs I intend to order Friday (if it’s offered,) but I’ve never seen what it looks like after use. I know it’s a surface finish and won’t hold up forever but if it’s as durable as something like DLC I’d be more than happy to give it a shot.

Not even close to DLC. It truly is a surface finish. Great stuff if you're looking to reduce reflection and don't care about long term looks, but if you're a hard user it'll fade fast.

This is a bk16 I did an acid wash on and have taken camping TWICE. A lot of the marks are from the sheath. If you're a stickler for looks it's not the right choice for you. If you want a dull finish to avoid reflection it's a solid decision. Regardless I think they look awesome, just know it'll fade quick if you're planning on using it.

Last edited:
Not even close to DLC. It truly is a surface finish. Great stuff if you're looking to reduce reflection and don't care about long term looks, but if you're a hard user it'll fade fast.

This is a bk16 I did an acid wash on and have taking camping TWICE. A lot of the marks are from the sheath. If you're a stickler for looks it's not the right choice for you. If you want a dull finish to avoid reflection it's a solid decision. Regardless I think they look awesome, just know it'll fade quick if you're planning on using it.

Thanks, definitely gives me something to consider.

Nathan you are one enabling evil genius, I gotta send you props when its so richly deserved. @Jo the Machinist you are, to use a term from astrophysics, the dark matter (the Universe's invisible scaffolding) of the entire operation which keeps them yahoos over there at CPK together. My great appreciation and gratitude to you both. These are simply phenomenon:

RWTfmIc.jpg

kWDzXKJ.jpg

doKsdSl.jpg

Back