Off Topic Flashlights and headlamps?

It seems to me that many people who are into good knives are also fond of good lights as well, so rather than go register at a flashlight forum and ask a silly noob question I figured I'd try here where I know I won't be beat up for not knowing everything there is to know about lights. Haha!

So, camping season is upon us and I want to get a good headlamp that runs on regular ol' AA batteries to go along with my beat up old 2AA Streamlight (best money I ever spent). Been looking at the Zebralight H53fc. High lumen ratings don't concern me. My main goal is, if SHTF, how much life can I squeeze out of a single battery? Any other options I should be considering?

View attachment 1118887
I have three Zebralights. Keep them off the highest setting, and you'll get excellent battery life.

But don't discount Fenix!

This is all you need. Black Diamond Revolt. Comes with rechargeable AAA batteries. As a bonus you can pair it with a lightweight portable solar charger setup and you get an unstoppable SHTF rechargeable headlamp that you never have to find batteries for. Ive been running the same 3 AAAs that came with it for well over a year and its been seeing moderate to heavy use almost every day at work. So in essence you have a rechargeable battery charger thats also a headlamp and if you have other things that run off AAAs in your kit you can keep them fed with recharged batteries using this headlamp. I just strap the solar charger to my backpack and keep my headlamp and phone charged as needed. Especially while hiking for multiple days in the mountains far away from any power outlets

I have a bunch of Olight stuff and really like them. I don't buy their rechargeable models, but use 18650 and 14500 rechargeable batteries in their CR123A and AA models.
As for a headlamp, I'm no expert, but have had a pair of Petzl AAA headlamps for YEARS and they work great and the batteries last long. Sorry, no AA headlamp experience here.

LED lights are getting cheaper and better by the day (kind of like LED TVs) so whatever was top of the line yesterday is probably run-of-the-mill-today. I'd just go to Battery Junction's website and search for whatever's available today that meets your needs (and know you could get something better for less if you just wait a bit).

LED lights are getting cheaper and better by the day (kind of like LED TVs) so whatever was top of the line yesterday is probably run-of-the-mill-today. I'd just go to Battery Junction's website and search for whatever's available today that meets your needs (and know you could get something better for less if you just wait a bit).
I agree, and as the new stuff is released. You can grab great deals on really good lights that are one generation old. Battery junction is 20min from me.
I have Olight, klarus, jet beam, fenix, Sure Fire.

I used to love surefire, but as the years go by, it's getting harder and harder to justify their premium for ruggedness as other brands keep stepping up. I'm not an operator, just am outdoorsman who like rugged and dependable tools. I'm not going to set my light on a block of C4... But it's nice to know I can do that with a Busse :D

I use a rechargeable Fenix HL60R. I’ve put it through hell the last few years and it’s still solid. It impressed me so much that I have gifted them to family and friends who are either in the market for one or didnt know they need one and were happy as hell to get it.

I have had a couple of different Black Diamond headlamps in the past and they worked well but didn't last that long for me (I did not baby them but I certainly didn't beat on them either). I hear that Zebralight is a great headlamp and are quite rugged. I personally just purchased an Olight HR2, but I don't have enough experience with it yet as to provide a review, but here is an entertaining youtube review:

Last edited:
Anymore, you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with Surefire, Streamlight, Petzl, Black Diamond, Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, Zebralight, or Klarus (certainly not a complete list). Battery junction has excellent customer service, decent prices, and a great selection with tons of options. Choose between primary cells or rechargeable, AA, 123, CR2, 18650, 200 lumens, 1,000 lumens, spot, flood, alternate colors, few modes or many, cheap or expensive, etc. Just decide what you're looking for given your specific application, and buy based on that. Getting hard to go too wrong anymore. Just wish more of it was made in the USA vs. China. :(

I've tried all sorts of small headlamps and this is my preferred due its redundancy, simplicity of use, AAA compatibility and price: https://princetontec.com/product/quad-tactical/
Like Busse, they're made in the right country and many have accompanied folks headed downrange.

In my experience, many of the fancy headlamps require too much manipulation and are prone to inadvertent activation when jammed in a ruck.

For mounted lamps, I've been using Streamlight and Surfire for a decade in some very tough environments and they've worked really well.

Cool I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a Flashlight store, now I'll be browsing that for awhile. I found a brand new Ozark trail flashlight in the woods whilst camping recently and just added it to my pile of Mag lights.

I have been kicking around all of these suggestions and now I'm wondering if maybe a regular light with one of those double bent pocket clips that also work as a hat bill clip might be the way to go because I would get way more use out of it than I would a dedicated headlamp. And I'm also thinking now that a rechargeable one paired with a solar charger would be better than a regular AA powered light because finding batteries in the woods isn't going to happen, but sunny days are always a possibility. Really looking at the Olight S2R Baton II, now. The battery life numbers look pretty impressive.

Last edited:
I have been kicking around all of these suggestions and now I'm wondering if maybe a regular light with one of those double bent pocket clips that also work as a hat bill clip might be the way to go because I would get way more use out of it than I would a dedicated headlamp. And I'm also thinking now that a rechargeable one paired with a solar charger would be better than a regular AA powered light because finding batteries in the woods isn't going to happen, but sunny days are always a possibility. Really looking at the Olight S2R Baton II, now. The battery life numbers look pretty impressive.
You will not be disappointed with that choice and if you are, I will gladly relieve you of your disappointment. :D

I've missed the last handful that have come up for sale on the exchange.

The Olight headlamps have nice pocket clips on them too.

You will not be disappointed with that choice and if you are, I will gladly relieve you of your disappointment. :D

I've missed the last handful that have come up for sale on the exchange.

The Olight headlamps have nice pocket clips on them too.
My only reservation about that one is that it bit big and probably a bit heavy to have clipped to a hat bill..........This is even harder than picking the color and handle material for a new Busse.....

That's an excellent choice! My EDC has been some iteration of the Olight S1 Baton for many years now. They're great little lights!

My only reservation about that one is that it bit big and probably a bit heavy to have clipped to a hat bill..........This is even harder than picking the color and handle material for a new Busse.....

Being a 2-cell light, it definitely might be a bit heavy for a hat bill. However, you could do a 1-cell Baton on a hat w/o issue (I've done this in a pinch with my EDC). The the S1R II might be a good choice for you, but bring a couple extra, charged batteries if on an extended trip. Charge one while using the other if possible.

PS - The magnetic tail cap is an option I never realized I'd use very much, but it sure comes in handy! :cool:

I've done an S2 on the bill. In a pinch, it works, but not ideal. S1 series would work much better. But the S2 is one of my favorite lights. I run 18650 cells in it.

I haven't read the posts everyone else put up, but I'll give you my 2 cents.

I'm not an expert on flashlights or headlamps, but I'm a long time user and buyer of LED lamps and I purchase them regularly, like last night and last week and the week before. And not because they ever fail, but because they keep getting better...longer run times, brighter, easier on batteries, and/or rechargeable. I buy many because I have a family and many activities.

Here are my thoughts and learning based on experience.

0. For an everyday around the yard and light camping (NOT SHTF Quality) headlamp, we've had good luck with Petzel. But if you want reliability I suggest a water proof aluminum light like a Fenix HM50R, which can run on CR123A or rechargeable battery that it comes with. The recharger is built into the light and comes with a USB cord. Read below to know why I suggest a light like this. https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hm50r-rechargeable-headlamp/

1. For outdoor activities, especially if it includes possible SHTF, I suggest water proof lights, check the IPX rating. ANY kind of moisture in the electronics and your light will fail. I've dropped lights in the creek many times. BTW you want a bright light, I think 250-300 lumen is the minimum for working outdoors, but I prefer 500 or more. Most lights will switch to a lower level to save battery when less light is needed. Its better to have a little too much capacity than not enough.

2. AAs and AAAs are nice because they are common, BUT they have drawbacks (Not good at low temps, corrosion, short life, low power) unless you go with Energizer Lithium L91's L92's (disposables) or rechargeables. If I use AA or AAA, I like rechargeable Eneloops the best, they are very high quality.. There are better alternatives to AA or AAA these days. BTW universal chargers are cheap these days. There are also chargers that will run at home OR in your car off USB, and many new lights have recharges built into them. For handheld lights I recommend lights that use an 18650 rechargeable, with 2-CR123A batteries as backup such as the Fenix PD35 V2 (I have five PD35 V1 and they are excellent).

3. In my opinion; Lithium or rechargeables are the way to go, they have long shelf lives, work well in all temps, and present higher current to the light. If you don't want to recharge then get a light that uses CR123A batteries. CR123A batteries can be bought for as little a $1 a piece at Battery Junction vs. $5 at the local drug store. I buy a box of 12 at a time and put them on the shelf every other year. I put them in my BOBs, my cars too. They have 10 year shelf lives.

4. I recommend rechargeable lights with removable batteries. Some of these lights even have rechargers BUILT IN...You simply plug the mini USB cord into the light, and the USB A plug into your USB wall or car charger. Most of these lights will alternatively run on CR123A batteries as a backup. And they are waterproof!

5. Budget: There is the initial cost/quality/capability/longevity trade off. Fenix, Olight, Klarus are the leaders in high quality affordable lights. I have been a Fenix customer since 2009 and have about 17 Fenix lights and have never had one fail. That said, not all Chinese made lights are equal. Many are crap. Streamlight makes a good light but they are far behind the leaders. Surefire makes the best lights available (I have some of their weapon lights), but they are so expensive and behind in technology and the quality gap is slim now.

Bottom Line: I recommend a light that can use rechargeable batteries with a disposable battery backup like CR123A batteries. Lights with rechargers built in are available and have proven to work reliably and remain waterproof. I recommend waterproof lights. I recommend 500 lumen or higher max output.

Happy hunting.

Take a look at my comments above. I have the Olight S2R baton II also, it is an amazing light, but not a heavy duty light. It is very very small which means that the heat sink is also limited. It an EDC light, not a camping and certainly not a SHTF light. When you start driving small lights to high lumens (1150) they heat up very quickly. Check the specs, it will only run for a short time on turbo before it automatically steps down. Think of it like putting a high volume of fire through a pencil barrel rifle in a short period. The current is measured in AMPs at high lumen levels in these lights.

Reliable lights require a better heat sink or less output. That is why tactical lights are often larger and heavier. More material provides more protection and more heat sink. More heat less reliability. Heat is bad for the electronics and the battery.

For a headlamp I suggested the Fenix HM50R, Olight and others make a similar light. These are nice because they can be removed from the headband too. The only thing they are missing is a red light for saving your night vision, but I've found that the lowest setting on these lights works almost as well.

Here are some pics to give you a sense of size of these lights. Left top to bottom; Fenix TK20R, Surefire Scout Weapon Light, well loved Fenix PD35 v1, Olight S2R Baton II, Fenix HM50 (couldn't find the HMR50 which has a nice rubber light holder). Right top and bottom; TK75 5k lumen search light, Fenix HL60R (950 lumens).
IMG_0301 (2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0302 (1).jpg
    IMG_0302 (1).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0303 (1).jpg
    IMG_0303 (1).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Take a look at my comments above. I have the Olight S2R baton II also, it is an amazing light, but not a heavy duty light. It is very very small which means that the heat sink is also limited. It an EDC light, not a camping and certainly not a SHTF light. When you start driving small lights to high lumens (1150) they heat up very quickly. Check the specs, it will only run for a short time on turbo before it automatically steps down. Think of it like putting a high volume of fire through a pencil barrel rifle in a short period. The current is measured in AMPs at high lumen levels in these lights.

Reliable lights require a better heat sink or less output. That is why tactical lights are often larger and heavier. More material provides more protection and more heat sink. More heat less reliability. Heat is bad for the electronics and the battery.

For a headlamp I suggested the Fenix HM50R, Olight and others make a similar light. These are nice because they can be removed from the headband too. The only thing they are missing is a red light for saving your night vision, but I've found that the lowest setting on these lights works almost as well.

Here are some pics to give you a sense of size of these lights.

View attachment 1121324
Honestly, I rarely ever use the high setting on a light. Walking out to the duck blind I like just enough to see where my feet are going and in my line of work aiming a bright light at a machined aluminum surface just makes you see spots for a while afterwards. On my stream light I have it set up to come on at the 18 lumen low setting and that is just about perfect for most of what I do.

Honestly, I rarely ever use the high setting on a light. Walking out to the duck blind I like just enough to see where my feet are going and in my line of work aiming a bright light at a machined aluminum surface just makes you see spots for a while afterwards. On my stream light I have it set up to come on at the 18 lumen low setting and that is just about perfect for most of what I do.

Sorry, I must have missed something I thought you were going to use it outdoors. It seems like a well made light, but its not a work light, its a purse light. I bought mine for my wife. However, it is your money. LOL

Last edited:
Back