flashlights

I can feel the flashlight hunt starting up again.

Me too. I did start the hunt, but didn't find anything I really "needed". Even a basic Streamlight Stinger LED throws a seriously long beam for 2 hours, and I have that covered. EDC is plenty covered, as are the mid-range 18650 throwy/floody genre. Its still fun to look, though.

I just ordered a few days ago. I don't know anything about shipment dates, but I wouldn't think there are TOO many preorders... it's not like the PM2.. I am going to give them a call Monday. I did notice that they charged my card immediately. Normally the card is only charged when the item is shipped...

I don't know how frequently you have power outages and storms and such, but I'm in FL so it's not like some of the other more problem prone areas. Even so I have never thought "man I've got too many flashlights" same thing with knives. I think it's only reasonable to have one on you, in the car, maybe a couple in the house... I had a nice Surefire in my wife's truck that I got her 2 years ago. I went to look for it the other day and couldn't find it. I'll get her a thrunight or Olight Keychain light next time. That flashlight was pricey and it was brand new.
My truck was broken into a couple months ago and they took my Fenix E12... so I have a real need for a few new lights.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's just ordered this.:~ Just what I need another flashlight.

I orderd a S15R yesterday. Should be here Tuesday.

I have a Fenix TA30 that is more than I could ever need in a flashlight and stays next to the bed. It's just too big to carry and runs on three CR123's so feeding it is't cheap like the S15R that can be run on a single AA.

Last edited:
Ever since I saw my first Maglite, I had to have one (and had a good number of the unimpressive things).
The were expensive, not bright (5 lumen or so), ate batteries, and broke too easily.

Along came regular LED flashlights, which were brighter and easier on batteries (I have a bunch scattered around the house), then the super-bright surface-mount LEDs which were WOW at about 50 lumen (have 6 or 7 of those)!

Now, thanks to eBay, I have one of these (about 450 lumen), two 18650 batteries, a charger, and a very powerful green laser.
For a whopping twenty five bucks all-in.
It's all I need.
And I'm sure I'll buy more :)

nk-908-cree-led-flashlight-q5-450lm-mini.jpg

Ever since I saw my first Maglite, I had to have one (and had a good number of the unimpressive things).
The were expensive, not bright (5 lumen or so), ate batteries, and broke too easily.

Along came regular LED flashlights, which were brighter and easier on batteries (I have a bunch scattered around the house), then the super-bright surface-mount LEDs which were WOW at about 50 lumen (have 6 or 7 of those)!

I started with a MAG 3 X D, then a 2 X AA from the Mac tool truck. The 2XAA was upgraded years ago with a Nite-Ize LED and a push-button tail cap. I loved that thing. I got home from a business trip and found the 2XAA missing from my bag. Best I can think is it fell out in the rental car trunk.

I'm hoping the S15R fills that gap. I thought the Fenix would but it was bigger than I thought it would be when I ordered it. My current EDC is a tiny Swiss Tech single AAA that does alright for a keychain light. It's just time to upgrade to something more useful.

and now you get 250 lumens out of a 2 x aaa light (example: trunite ti4)

or 500+ out of a single cr123

I have a Prometheus Beta-QRv2 on the way. Should be here next week sometime. :D

Where do you get them? I have a Prometheus Alpha, but it writes, not lights. :eek:

My Olight S1 should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I can blame this thread for pointing out that little monster. But I started the thread myself so It's my own fault anyway.

Next stop, some light cannon to set the trees on fire !!!

I just checked out the darksucks website. Got to go for it. ( panting like a dog chasing a rabbit )

Copper and Nichia 219...a combination that's hard to beat... (It's a beast on 10440 by the way) ;)

I ended up with the EN finish (electroless Nickel), I like it much more than the black. The Copper was not available or an option. For starters I'll stick to the AAA, but I will order the 10440 as a backup. Thanks for the tip.

Where do you get them? I have a Prometheus Alpha, but it writes, not lights. :eek:

My Olight S1 should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I can blame this thread for pointing out that little monster. But I started the thread myself so It's my own fault anyway.

I saw the pen, yes looks very nice. I just needed a keychain flashlight so I figured why not go with the best I can get. I was going to get the blasted Ti Olight, but I decided on the QR-V2 instead. PM on the way.

Reactions: FHT
At some point I would like to get a larger handheld for the off chance I end up on a night search, but the chance of that happening and me actually having it is slim. So far my big light is a pelican saber LED. I really like the look of a lot of the multi element lights, like the TK45.

Makes me wonder how I got by as a kid with just a 2AA mini-mag and those big 6V lanterns that broke if you dropped them. I was really proud to own a mini-mag, it was far better than a lot of lights in its day.

Pics and impressions when you get it!!! Please!

Got the PM. I will pick one up.

I like small lights in bags and jacket pockets, and at least one big light to light up the night. Time for some new stuff!

Back