flashlights

I have Surefire "X" series lights on a bunch of my goodies, and cannot recommend them enough!!! Not uncommon for them to cost nearly as much as the item they are riding on. Just tried a Streamlight weapon light to try and save a couple $$$, but it was still $300+ LOL.

Yeah they make good stuff. It's in the weapon lights with ergonomic switches where the surefire premiums start to make sense. Getting any kind of half decent weapon light is expensive. :grumpy: :D

They told me they would be sending some out this week. I still haven't gotten one. On the other hand Thrunite sent me a TN30 mini to replace my T10t that failed. I'm pretty excited about it... once I can afford another $100 for batteries and a charger. 3200 lumens should make a perfect light for camping at our place in TN. I also got a Ti3 for the keychain.
What 10440 batteries are you guys using?
Efest IMR 10440s are what I recommend.

Turns out, recoil might be hard on things. I can't imagine the engineering that went into weapon lights before LEDs.

I have Surefire "X" series lights on a bunch of my goodies, and cannot recommend them enough!!! Not uncommon for them to cost nearly as much as the item they are riding on. Just tried a Streamlight weapon light to try and save a couple $$$, but it was still $300+ LOL.

I saw this weapon light in person for the first time last week. Very impressive. Sucker is small! Sorta reminds me of the new Sidekick. I think they took this light tweaked it and made the keychain edition. Either way, they have a impressive high mode. I may make a "X" move. Just to find a holster that works with it. That has always been the DRAW back to rail lights. Yup, that was a pun sorta.

A USA made flashlight is always a nice change of pace. I love the Prometheus.QR2 though. I've had it for a little over a week and it does everything I need in a keychain light. I never realized just how "blue" and inconsistent (glitchy) the other LED lights were. Was it worth about $60 maybe, I just hope it lasts more than a year.

Ok, I asked for a recommendation early on in this thread and got some excellent responses, but have been thinking and now need some different boxes checked.

2 AA batteries, tail switch, low/high multi mode at minimum, weather resistant, more flood than throw and <$40. Again, this is for finding the way back to the tent or something dropped, not for searching the far bank of a river or anything.

-Xander

Ok, I asked for a recommendation early on in this thread and got some excellent responses, but have been thinking and now need some different boxes checked.

2 AA batteries, tail switch, low/high multi mode at minimum, weather resistant, more flood than throw and <$40. Again, this is for finding the way back to the tent or something dropped, not for searching the far bank of a river or anything.

-Xander

Without a doubt the Thrunite Archer 2A V2. They're getting hard to find now as they've been gone off Amazon for awhile, but it looks like Thrunite Store still has them. $30 for neutral white and $40 for cool white. I have one, and it's not my best light or favorite light, but it's a really nice light for the price. One of the brightest 2xAA lights out there on turbo.

^^^^
Agreed, use the Archer 2A v2 as my work carry light and in my bag at school (college classes folate into the night sometimes, and this time of year it's certainly dark when I get home). It's a great light!

Darn you Clarence!

There are some stores I just can't resist checking out the clearance racks at. Today was no exception:grumpy:.

625 lumen LED 3D MagLite ML300L:

CD6FC7D1-D41F-404F-9D9E-082D8075B503_zpsuwjb2i5h.jpg

:D

I guess I'll have to upgrade my old 3D MAG with an inexpensive LED and move it to the trunk.

IMG_1356_zpsezcgnxua.jpg

IMG_1357_zpsb81esson.jpg

IMG_1358_zpsx6pj6dgq.jpg

IMG_1359_zps2kbacxam.jpg

I have a Moodoolar triple XPG(big one) and a modified Surefire E2E(same guys who made the other one) with a triple XPL and a fourth "amber" LED on the board.

The bigger one is an older model and boasts 1000 OTF lumens. The smaller one boasts a whopping 3500 lumens, though I'm not entirely sure if that's an OTF figure. It does appear to be almost twice as bright, and the rule of diminishing returns says that you generally need 4 times the lumens for twice the brightness IIRC. Based on how hot it feels on the skin though, I'd say it's pretty accurate:thumbup:.

Beamshots are available on the candlepowerforum. I just got it and it's not dark out yet so...:D

Well, this is what I ended up getting my dad for Christmas today. Seemed to check all the boxes on my requirements. Hope these 2500mAh rechargeable batteries work well with it.

FB_IMG_1450821871447_zps3whizwfj.jpg

-Xander

Hope these 2500mAh rechargeable batteries work well with it.
Depends how it's used. My FourSevens AA light seems to start running dim after being on High for about 15 minutes. If you run it on medium it'll last longer, but I believe lithium based lights will either run longer at the same level of brightness, or run brighter at the same runtimes. Just more juice than Nickel Metal Hydride types.

Of course, standard AA or AAA types have more commonly available battery types. So it might be more user friendly for non-gearheads:thumbup:.

Beamshots:
IMG_1364_zpsvtfzy3br.jpg

IMG_1367_zpsz3qna7dw.jpg

IMG_1368_zpsjcn0kx3t.jpg

The beam is a neutral tint. There are tiny artifacts around the edges of the beam, but you don't notice them unless you shine it on a white wall and twist the flashlight around.

As far as practical use goes, I can't imagine there are any:D. Runtimes would range from 5-15 min on high, but probably not continuously, as it starts to get pretty hot after about 30 seconds(painfully hot). Thermal sensors will cut the output once temperature rises above 150 degrees F.

Still, it's slightly thicker than the average AA light, and it's about half an inch shorter. It's pretty funny to light up a park at night with something that's the rough size of a folded pocket knife:thumbup:. Pretty sure a lot of people gave me a "WTF?" when I was lighting up Diamond Head tonight:D.
IMG_1370_zpskuhe8zpj.jpg

They told me they would be sending some out this week. I still haven't gotten one. On the other hand Thrunite sent me a TN30 mini to replace my T10t that failed. I'm pretty excited about it... once I can afford another $100 for batteries and a charger. 3200 lumens should make a perfect light for camping at our place in TN. I also got a Ti3 for the keychain.
What 10440 batteries are you guys using?

got my tracking number! You?

Sold some knot work to buy this Olight S1 Baton, which is going on my keychain for edc, replacing my Acebeam L10. It's shorter but thicker than the L10, and smaller than the Olight S10 I have tucked away in a gadget drawer that seemed just a tad too large for keyring duty.

I like the S1 features and the ability to use rechargeable RCR123/16340 means saving money on batteries, with the slight downside of shorter runtimes than using primary CR123A cells.

As soon as it arrived today I used a scrap length of 0.9mm orange cord to tie the Spanish ring accent knot around the small groove at the head end of the light. I'll use the same attachment clip on my keyring that clipped to the split rings I've added to other flashlights for quick detachment when necessary. I like the titanium, brass, and copper versions, but decided to go with the basic aluminum body. :)

UMW9lZd.jpg

Specifications:
* LED: CREE XM-L2 CW
* Battery Run Time:
+++High: 500 lumens- 300 lumens, 1.5 minutes + 90 minutes
+++Medium: 80 lumens, 6 hours
+++Low: 8 lumens, 40 hours
+++Moonlight: .5 lumens, 25 days
* Supported Battery: 1 x CR123A, 1 x RCR123A
* Maximum Beam Distance: 120 yards / 110 meters
* Maximum Beam Intensity: 3000 cd
* Dimension
+++Length: 2.4 inches (61 mm)
+++Diameter: .83 inches (21 mm)
* Weight: 1.06 ounces (30 g) excluding batteries
* Waterproof: IPX-8, 2 meters up to 30 minutes

Features:
* Magnetic tail cap for standing or attaching to magnetic surface
* Built-in timer to turn the light on for three or nine minutes
* Simple single-button side switch for all functions
* No-slip pocket clip
* 1.5 meter impact resistance
* Stainless steel head and switch binder ring processed by PVD technology
* Recessed silicon switch to prevent accidental operation
* TIR lens to create a balanced beam
* Made of A6061-T6 aluminum with class-III anodizing

A Streamlight Scorpion saved my life years ago, so I'm a bit partial to them.

Bought my FIL a Thrunite TH10 for Christmas. I think I'll be getting one as well, the firefly/moonlight mode is nice.

Sold some knot work to buy this Olight S1 Baton, which is going on my keychain for edc, replacing my Acebeam L10. It's shorter but thicker than the L10, and smaller than the Olight S10 I have tucked away in a gadget drawer that seemed just a tad too large for keyring duty.

I like the S1 features and the ability to use rechargeable RCR123/16340 means saving money on batteries, with the slight downside of shorter runtimes than using primary CR123A cells.

As soon as it arrived today I used a scrap length of 0.9mm orange cord to tie the Spanish ring accent knot around the small groove at the head end of the light. I'll use the same attachment clip on my keyring that clipped to the split rings I've added to other flashlights for quick detachment when necessary. I like the titanium, brass, and copper versions, but decided to go with the basic aluminum body. :)

UMW9lZd.jpg

Specifications:
* LED: CREE XM-L2 CW
* Battery Run Time:
+++High: 500 lumens- 300 lumens, 1.5 minutes + 90 minutes
+++Medium: 80 lumens, 6 hours
+++Low: 8 lumens, 40 hours
+++Moonlight: .5 lumens, 25 days
* Supported Battery: 1 x CR123A, 1 x RCR123A
* Maximum Beam Distance: 120 yards / 110 meters
* Maximum Beam Intensity: 3000 cd
* Dimension
+++Length: 2.4 inches (61 mm)
+++Diameter: .83 inches (21 mm)
* Weight: 1.06 ounces (30 g) excluding batteries
* Waterproof: IPX-8, 2 meters up to 30 minutes

Features:
* Magnetic tail cap for standing or attaching to magnetic surface
* Built-in timer to turn the light on for three or nine minutes
* Simple single-button side switch for all functions
* No-slip pocket clip
* 1.5 meter impact resistance
* Stainless steel head and switch binder ring processed by PVD technology
* Recessed silicon switch to prevent accidental operation
* TIR lens to create a balanced beam
* Made of A6061-T6 aluminum with class-III anodizing

I bought 3 of these lights from the group buy on the Candle power forum for $26 each. Nice little light. One of them has an issue and won't turn off. That one is getting replaced by GearBest.

The Olight Baton series are SWEET!
I grabbed one of the LE Ti Baton S1's and after using it for a week, I had to have the S2.
23714788294_0b7e5ac818_h.jpg

Back