Recommendation? Flashlights?

Hi I'm looking for some nice flashlights and need some recommendations, I need a rugged, long lasting & powerful light. The type of light you'd grab when shtf.

My budget is 100-400$

For a pocket backup one, the Lumintop AAA. Light, quick and intuitive, $20, 3 modes. Waterproof too, very easy to carry

foN0ICQ.jpg

For a bigger but still pocketable one, the Sunwayman C22C. Super durable, 2 lights, 5 modes, multi position clip, glass breaker, can be carried in a belt, as a torch, as a headlamp or stick it in a vehicle, wall etc. due to its metallic and magnetic bottom.
Water resistant and inexpensive.

n4VXPOT.jpg

Hi I'm looking for some nice flashlights and need some recommendations, I need a rugged, long lasting & powerful light. The type of light you'd grab when shtf.

My budget is 100-400$

That's a huge price range. If you're looking for a big price to performance ratio, I like Nitecore and Olight.
NiteCore has their EA-81, 4 modes, about the size of a stubby Maglight, outputs up to 2100 lumens on 8 AA batteries and runs for about 2 hrs on that level.
They also have the new SRT-7GT with 4 colored LED's for specialized light functions, infinite brightness selection, that puts out 1000 lumens on 2 CR123's for about 1 hr.

I really like Olight's SR1 Baton in titanium for EDC. Has 3 modes, outputs up to 500 lumens, and has a magnet in the tail cap so it can be used hands free when needed.

All of these lights can use rechargeable batteries as well. I keep lithium ion AA's in my EA-81's for emergencies because they don't leak.

I'm not so much into the real esoteric stuff that is hard to find. I like my Fenix models- PD25 always in my pocket and PD32 in my briefcase.

My budget is 100-400$
I agree with others. Cannot go wrong with Olight or Fenix. Check to make sure you are getting the right size and right lumens you need. There are floods and there are search types. I have both for different uses. Large in a case (Olight SR95S UT) to small pocket types (Olight smini baton), Doesn't hurt to have a few including a good head lamp like the Olight Nova. OH, and when the shtf, don't forget your knives and guns!

It really depends on what size you want.
I've got a number of pocket EDC type lights; but my "workhorse" is an Olight R50. (I like copper, so I went that route despite the weight; but the standard had anodized aluminum is a great light).
Don't want the bulk of a 26650? Thrunite TN12 (or the comparable Fenix PD35, Nitecore P12, etc).
Looking for "full size" and BRIGHT? How about an Acebeam X45.
Need a serious thrower? Thrunite TN42

Last edited:
Thats a big price range so leaves open just about everything. I guess it kind of depends on what you want to use it for?

Surefire makes great lights very sturdy and reliable not as high lumen os some others. And don't have as many options as others.

Fenix is one of my favorite makers ... have several from a SingleAA model LD12 up to a two 18650 rechargable model the TK47.

They are well built reliable and most have several features for brightness levels. Getting into the medium priced models you can get various brightness levels ... a strobe feature for defense to disorient someone ... and give versitility of AA or rechargable batteries or other models CR123 or 18650 rechargables.

I have the Fenix TK 25 gives you red and green light options for night vision and map reading and is a great light.
The Fenix TK 32 has a longer throw more concentrated focus and red and blue light modes for tracking blood trails for hunters. along with the strobe and brightness levels. And I have a TK47 which is extremely bright for longer throw a great search light runs on 2 18650 batteries.

Others that are good Olights ... Streamlights ... Thrunite ... but IMO for a simple sturdy light Surefire ... a very well built with extra features the Fenix would top my list.

From a Fenix LD12 up through a Surefire and the Fenix TK 25 and TK 32 ... the Fenix PD35 Tac would be a good starting place its the 3rd from bottom.

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about lights but have the Fenix pd32 2016 version 900 max lumen and love it, can run on (2) cr123a's or (1) 18650 which makes it fairly versatile (& just under $65)

Forgot to mention the Nitecore EC4S. Love that light.
I keep mine in my backpack, so it's usually with me (or not far from me).

I saw your previous thread asking suggestions for long guns. If you plan on mounting it, I would personally recommend a Surefire model specifically built for repeated recoil.

Other than that, there are countless options and brands from many manufacturers. You might peruse some flashlight forums and/or figure out what options you want. I personally have had good experiences with everything from a cheap Brinks model to more expensive Surefire, and other brands in between that price spectrum.

I currently use a Fenix rechargeable for my bed stand, Nitecore rechargeable for my briefcase, Eagletac for my EDC, and an old Surefire for when I travel or ride at night. Nowadays, there are even decent, bright LED flashlights at HD.

I'll also add: 1. after having to work on an old house at night with no electricity, a good headlamp was invaluable. 2. Although throw and brightness are great for certain tasks, I often use a flashlight with more spread and less lumens for dark indoor or small area illumination. My friend is the opposite, as he needs to illuminate dark crevices on the under belly of vehicles in a bright shop. Therefore, you might want to tailor your search to prioritize situations that you more commonly find yourself in.

I’m lost without my Milwaukee head lamp. The one for a hard hat. I wear it around my neck and can angle it were I need it. It’s rechargeable and very bright. I has multiple modes from flood to spot.

I just got a little olight i3e EOS seems very good quality so far and really liking it so thinking of trying out one of their larger models

My budget is 100-400$
For rugged, shtf, etc...

NOTHING beats Malkoff.

Period.

The Chinese brands (Fenix, Olight, Lumitop) are great for battery life, max brightness, modes, etc. but are not as rugged in my experience.

ALSO if SHTF is a consideration, then don't shy away from lithium primary (non-rechargeable) batteries; less likely to fail due to overheating, temperature, shock issues, and so on.

MD2 is a great place to start:

SEbw8hV.jpg

Second place would be SureFire (one of my EDC is a Tactician):

800Tjl2.jpg

I'd put Streamlight in third place; a great budget option. (Most are USA made).

For the sake of this post being on BF, consider Malkoff the Chris Reeves of the flashlight world, and SureFire the Hinderer.

Malkoff are super rugged, but with refined machining and build quality.

SureFire are no frills, tough as nails, but without super attention to detail.

Really like my Malkoff AA.
Beat built light I own except for maybe my Peaks. The Logan 17500 has adaptors for most batteries (AA, AAA, CR123 and all equivalent lithium ions).
jNhfgMbl.jpg

A Malkoff will last and is money well spent. They replaced a 5 year old dropin that stopped working for me. No questions asked and had one back to me in a week.

HDS light as well. A rotary light can do what 5 flashlight can do. Best UI for almost every purpose.

I’d also suggest Nitecore as I’ve been a huge fan for many years, but, I’ve seen three lights from them all fail in the last few months. All were different models.
I still use the TM36 and love that light, but it’s not a carry model as it’s a huge light.

The light that’s in my pocket everyday is a Surefire E1B with the Max Vision lens. The runtime isn’t huge but it’s powerful at 400 lumens and pleasant at 5 lumens. I’ve used Surefire lights for 20 years or so, only had one of the approximately 20 that I’ve owned break and that was due to recoil on a handgun over extended use.
I still have at least a dozen as I’ve given some away as gifts and they’re all still working perfectly.
If you want it to work the first time, every time, and be durable beyond belief- Surefire is a solid choice.
As stated above, Malkoff is also top tier.
If you want to spend all $400 on one light then check out McGizmo. His all titanium lights are a thing of beauty and have features to match.

I've been using a couple of Zebralights for years. One for pocket carry, and another mounted on an elastic headband when hands-free use is necessary around the house and on my hardhat at work in dim conditions. The models I have use the ubiquitous AA battery, available everywhere and which I purchase in inexpensive bulk packages at a warehouse club retailer. They use rechargeables also. I believe the models that I have are discontinued; they are still performing flawlessly. The current offerings start at around $60. Have and have had several McGizmo lights; beautifully machined, finished, and with performance to match.20200201_140057.jpg

Last edited:
Back