flashlights

I've been happy with my iTP C7T flahslight. The C8T or C8R (Regulare - strove or Tactical - no strobe and momentary on) uses two AA batteries, has good run time, good brightness and infinate adjustable brightness. Planning to get a E50 (two CR123A) after Christmas.

Also check out EagleTac flashlights. Their Personal line has flashlights that fit your wants perfectly. For instance the P10A2; two AA, Pocket Clip, Turbo is 220 Lumens with 1:15 minute run and Regulare is 60 Lumens with a 7+ hour run. They can be found for between $50 and $70.

Got a P100C2 (two CR123A) for my brother for Christmas. Been playing with it a bit before it goes under his tree and am really liking it. Thinking I might get one after Christmas to go with the E50.

BTW You can get good deals on Protected CR123A Primary batteries from a few BF.com dealers. GoingGear and KnivesShipFree are where I get mine. :) I mention the CR123A flashlights because they can be shorter then the compareible AA light and have better run time.

Heber

Mag-lite? I must respectfully dissent, especially if one is referring to the filament bulb flavor. :) The bulb has a short lifespan, output begins diminishing immediately, and the bulb will break if you drop it. And its not very bright.

An LED flavored Mag-lite solves some of these probs.

I would recommend a 2xAA Quark or similar from 4sevens.com. LED, regulated (non-diminishing output), multiple levels of output, etc.

JMO.

+1

I hear the Turbo's are pretty good as well.

Neutral White (Warm Tinted) - Quark AA2 Neutral White Comparison Review

this has both the Neutral white and cool white tint versions in the review even though the emphasis is on the Neutral White tint.

If anyone's interested in the single AA version -

4Sevens Quark AA Comparison Review

Neutral White 4Sevens Quark AA Comparison Review

These all compare side-by-side with the equivalent Fenix versions, and have links to the Fenix reviews, if I've done them).

--
Vincent

http://picasaweb.com/UnknownVincent?showall=true
http://UnknownVincent.Shutterfly.com
http://UnknownVT.Shutterfly.com
http://UnknownVT.multiply.com/photos

+1 on Fenix. David aka 4Sevens and his crew are a great bunch of guys. I haven't tried any of his Quark lights yet, mainly because I have enough of the Fenix lights right now and am looking at something with more output like the Olight M30 Triton (700 lumens :) ).

I use mostly CR123 lights but do have a couple AA lights in case.
Here are some pics for size comparison. (I just recent got the NiteCore EZ CR2 but haven't taken any pics of that one yet).

Left-Right: Maglite Solitaire 1AAA, NiteCore EZ-AA (1 AA), Civictor V1 (1 AA), (the P1 to PD20 are all 1 CR123) Fenix P1, P1D CE with Leef body, P2D, P2D Q5, PD20, Surefire E1 Executive, Streamlight Scorpion (2 CR123), Streamlight TwinTask (2 CR123) and finally the Wolf Eyes Raider (3 CR123)
flashlightcollection200.jpg

flashlightcollection200.jpg

+5 on Fenix. High quality, good value for money and top notch in brightness and quality. Waterproof to IPX8 if I recall correctly.

Maglights are NOT even a considered choice anymore. The others mentioned, Gerber etc are also not a choice. You need to be looking at Fenix, Quark, Olight, etc for economical BRIGHT long lasting lights with long runtimes.

Maglights are NOT even a considered choice anymore. The others mentioned, Gerber etc are also not a choice. You need to be looking at Fenix, Quark, Olight, etc for economical BRIGHT long lasting lights with long runtimes.
Many people still choose the MagLite LED flashlights. It may not be the best choice but it is still a decent light at a great price.

I like the iTP C8R a lot. If you buy from GoingGear, a fellow BF member, you can order the other body sizes. The C8R uses 2 AA batteries, but you can get extra bodies that allow you use a single AA battery (C7 body), or a single CR123 battery (C9 body).

Just my 2¢ - I do not see much difference in either throw or brightness between a Maglight 3D LED, the iTP C8R, or the SureFire G2 LED.

Although I am very satisfied with the iTP light, I am going to look at either the Fenix LD20+ or the Quark AA2 for my next purchase.

I've got flashlights from Surefire, Fenix, Innova, and Mag Lite.

The only Surefire light I own is a 6PLED with a Malkoff drop-in LED assembly to replace the factory version. Excellent light, especially if you want to experiment with all kinds of customization possibilities. However, Surefire doesn't make any flashlights that us AA batteries. Their lights use CR123 batteries. They're pretty much the "gold standard" for flashlights, in either incandescent or LED.

The Fenix lights I own use CR123 batteries, but they make several models that use AAs. I'd concur with everyone else that has recommended them as a great choice. Mine are well made and very bright.

Innova makes lights that use AAs, but I wouldn't consider them to be in the same league as Fenix or Surefire.

You've already gotten plenty of advice on Mag Lites that is spot on.

Personally I don't have any experience with iTP or Olight or 4sevens or any of the other lights mentioned, but would definitely consider the recommendations of Unknown VT or NaturalMystic. They know their stuff.

If you really want to delve in to all things flashlights, you might want to take a look at candlepowerforums.com.

Another good source of info is MEV's review site:

Link

Last edited:
...Personally I don't have any experience with iTP or Olight or 4sevens or any of the other lights mentioned, but would definitely consider the recommendations of Unknown VT or NaturalMystic. They know their stuff.

If you really want to delve in to all things flashlights, you might want to take a look at candlepowerforums.com.

Another good source of info is MEV's review site:

Link

Thanks for the kudos bud, but UnknownVT is the man. He knows WAAAY more about flashlights than I do, or care to know for that matter!. If you do check out CandlePower Forums (aka CPF), UnknownVT has very many in-depth reviews on flashlights complete with lots of pics and graphs, etc. Lots of what I've learned is thanks to him and other folks like him.
I just like compact powerful lights so I tend to do a lot of reading/research on the ones I'm interested in before buying them. Ask me about other lights and I probably couldn't tell you much about them.

thanks everyone for the opinions!! very helpful but still going to be hard to pick out a light. ill definitely post when i pick one out.
thanks again

dylan

1. which surefire has 650 lumens and only costs $150?

if it exists, i must have one!

2. fenix has very affordable and high output lights.

1. Absolutely yes. *high five*
2. Agreed.

Maglites are no good. Not durable, not waterproof, will not hold a good finish, not bright enough, no "tactical" lighting options, awkward switching.

My personal favorite light is the Novatac EDC-120T (in black, naturally). Tactical-style tailcap, high/mid/low output with a maximum of 120 lumens, beautifully smooth light pattern with a tight hotspot and good even spill, combat strobe feature, waterproof, and virtually indestructible. It's got some other nice features too. It comes with a well-designed belt/pocket clip and a large grip ring (both removable), the latter for use with handguns in the Thorpe technique. The bezel is gently scalloped, not as much as some "strike bezel" designs that will tear up your pocket, but enough to impart a little force if used as a kubotan, and also to remind you that the light is on if set lens-down on a table top. Most importantly, it's light and very small- the perfect size for EDC. IMO there is no better balance between power, functionality, combat-oriented features, and size. It looks like you can pick them up for around $80 (which is a lot less than I paid for mine a few years ago). I know that's a bit north of your price range, but with all its features and versatility, the little Novatac will replace virtually every other light you will ever need, and it will last a lifetime.

Back