Flea market finds

I don't know what it is. Being double-edged, it isn't a typical skian dubh. I'm pretty sure it's home-made, probably from a file. I don't think I've ever seen string whipping used as a ferule before.

I see there is another thread with the same title, but this is the one that came up when I searched.

Yet another carving set: Monarch was something to do with Ka-bar ca 1960-1980. The handles are cast pewter(?). Heavier than aluminum and non-magnetic.
Anyway, I like the blade shape and it was $10 for the set.
JaOkFlJ.jpg

Tiny Portland Gerber and unmarked behemoth which I think has been agreed elsewhere to be Japanese. There are an awl and a file on the back that I forgot to open, and an empty tang that was probably a corkscrew.
7kJ5U2i.jpg

Tiny Portland Gerber and unmarked behemoth which I think has been agreed elsewhere to be Japanese. There are an awl and a file on the back that I forgot to open, and an empty tang that was probably a corkscrew.
7kJ5U2i.jpg

Very cool.

That little Gerber LST ultralight is really cool , I always wanted one of those.

Last edited:
I've been looking at this Schrade Barlow at $10.00 for quite some time. Also the Utica Sportsman for $15.00. Finally this booth was 25% off.
pyYbu6n.jpg

Oh, and someone is making bud vases out of flatware handles. I'm going to make a dress Bowie and insert its narrow tang into this handle filled with epoxy.

I've been looking at this Schrade Barlow at $10.00 for quite some time. Also the Utica Sportsman for $15.00. Finally this booth was 25% off.
pyYbu6n.jpg

Oh, and someone is making bud vases out of flatware handles. I'm going to make a dress Bowie and insert its narrow tang into this handle filled with epoxy.
Now that sounds like an extremely awesome idea, I really wish I had thought of that with my Imperial H6.

I'm sure you've seen this before, but here's my H6 and sheath I made for it.

I'd love to see some pictures when you're done.

Yes, even I can do better than that.
Now that sounds like an extremely awesome idea, I really wish I had thought of that with my Imperial H6.
I'm sure you've seen this before, but here's my H6 and sheath I made for it.
Yes, @hickory n steel, and I don't mind seeing it again. Nice work.
It's occurred to me that I'll have to put some lead in the handle for my flatware-handle project, or it will be awfully point-heavy.

I have a few of those H6 types; I kind of want to make a harness that will hold them all, like the one the Uncola Nut Man wore in the Genevieve Bujold pirate movie :D(Buccaneer? with Robert Shaw in a flaming red jump-suit, Peter Boyle, and Beau Bridges).
Utica, Utica?, Utica, Imperial, Imperial, Westcut.
Z375J3v.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, even I can do better than that.

Yes, @hickory n steel, and I don't mind seeing it again. Nice work.
It's occurred to me that I'll have to put some lead in the handle for my flatware-handle project, or it will be awfully point-heavy.

I have a few of those H6 types; I kind of want to make a harness that will hold them all, like the one the Uncola Nut Man wore in the Genevieve Bujold pirate movie (Buccaneer? with Robert Shaw in a flaming red jump-suit, Peter Boyle, and Beau Bridges).
Utica, Utica?, Utica, Imperial, Imperial, Westcut.
Z375J3v.jpg
You think this would be point heavy ?
Maybe use JB weld to attach it as it's a little more dense , and possibly go with one of your thinner bladed imperials instead.

Btw that purse could probably make a fairly nice looking sheath for your dress Bowie.

The purse is meant for that, glad you agree. It reminds me of a purse of Irene's that became some sheathes. I couldn't believe she'd thrown it out, but I guess the 70s were over.
Here is a better (I trust) pic of the L36.
LM23Bnr.jpg

The purse is meant for that, glad you agree. It reminds me of a purse of Irene's that became some sheathes. I couldn't believe she'd thrown it out, but I guess the 70s were over.
Here is a better (I trust) pic of the L36.
LM23Bnr.jpg
Good score, those L36's are a classic American knife I'd not hate to own.

Just got back with this Klein electrician I picked up for $5 at my nearest flea market. I don't go there often as it hasn't exactly been any good since I was a kid, but I saw a table of wrenches on my way back from mcMcDonald and had to stop. Saw the knife ( and another electrician that was shot and may not have been Klein ) and knew what it was right away.

The tip was blunted, it was sharpened or cleaned up with some kind of power tool, and it seems to have been rode hard and put up wet at some point.

I've fixed the tip, sharpened it, and flushed it out.
The driver has great snap all around but little play, while the knife blade closes a bit slow but ooens with decent snap and has zero play.

Now Im just wondering if someone could help me date it if at all possible. I can only make out R-3 in the model number which I know isn't the current model number for them.
If that helps, otherwise IllI try not to worry.

Last edited:
I just can't get my phone to focus on it, but the more I look at this know the more I think something highly corrosive got on this blade.
There's a clear lip where the corroded and pitted steel ends.
The pitting / corrosion is also way too deep compared to the overall condition of the knife for it to have just happened over time from rust.

The knife won't win any beauty contest, but all the character it's got sure does make it cool.

Goodwill grab, about $2.50 total.

An art ullis Inc L-52 MADE IN SWEDEN fish knife for $1
a Rada slicer for ¢69
and an unbranded US made parer for ¢69 as well.
All took razor sharp edges in no time.

Call me crazy but I love the little parer and plan to make a sheath and carry it.
The blade is super thin and slicy, the handle feels great, it weighs nothing, and I think it looks great.

Last edited:
Nice haul.
No reason not to belt-carry a paring knife, as Victorinox has realized; they sell them with sheathes. Gerber's pixie came with or without a sheath too.
I pick up Radas when I see them. They make me nostalgic, though they're still being made.

I picked up this small meat cleaver yesterday at a local flea market. The "shuredge" mark is the perfect match but the word "R obeson" is not to be found. Does anyone know if this is for certain a Robeson?

fullsizeoutput_342.jpeg

Nice haul.
No reason not to belt-carry a paring knife, as Victorinox has realized; they sell them with sheathes. Gerber's pixie came with or without a sheath too.
I pick up Radas when I see them. They make me nostalgic, though they're still being made.
I carry a GEC paring knife backpacking.

GEC%2520%25231%2520Paring%2520in%2520Sheath.JPG

Nice haul.

This Rada slicer / carver I believe they call it took an edge like nobody's business.

I've got to find the right leather scrap to make a sheath for the parer out of but when I do it'll definitely go on my belt.
I love the look of it, it reminds me of an open slipjoint.

My only problem with the cutlery I pick up at Goodwill ( picked up a Lamson bowl chopper and Flint edge carver a couple weeks ago ) is that none of it is carbon steel which I'd rather have, I don't know if they dispose of all carbon steel or if everyone in my area just throws it away because it's got a little rust. All I know is that stainless is only to be found.

Back