flea market finds

Sounds like a great haul, John!

Any ideas what type of implement this may be? Best guest so far is a farrier's tool or something used for working with tires or wheels.

View attachment 499547

View attachment 499548

View attachment 499549

Jeff
Dang it Jeff, every time I see that thing I get sidetracked looking at page after page on ebay searching for something similar.:rolleyes:

Perhaps it's a back scratcher?;)

Hit the jackpot today! Connie and I went to Watseka to see a couple of small shops. In the one store (kind of a gift / resale shop) we found the mother lode of "used" knives. Picked up a Swiss Buck large model with saw for $6, a Case 63033 for $7, and a Schrade 897UH for $7. They had 3 of the 897`s and at least 8 Old Timers. The lady said she bought them from an old hardware store going out of business. I will get pictures up soon.
Congrats John,I wish I could find a stash of old knives like that.:cool:

Dang it Jeff, every time I see that thing I get sidetracked looking at page after page on ebay searching for something similar.:rolleyes:

I've easily spent a few hours trying to find something similar online. I've also tried researching the maker's mark with no success. Hopefully someone will recognize what it is.

Jeff

Hit the jackpot today! Connie and I went to Watseka to see a couple of small shops. In the one store (kind of a gift / resale shop) we found the mother lode of "used" knives. Picked up a Swiss Buck large model with saw for $6, a Case 63033 for $7, and a Schrade 897UH for $7. They had 3 of the 897`s and at least 8 Old Timers. The lady said she bought them from an old hardware store going out of business. I will get pictures up soon.

Here they are. I swear the Uncle Henry has never even seen pocket time, just a little "storage rust" on the inside of the backsprings, that I removed with 0000 steel wool.

Damn fine deals there - congratulations once again.

I like the Case, very nice!

best

mqqn

I've easily spent a few hours trying to find something similar online. I've also tried researching the maker's mark with no success. Hopefully someone will recognize what it is.

Jeff

I think it is an old tire mounting tool - a bead breaker.

I found P Yager & Company in Virginia in an old newspaper - was something to do with automobile mechanics best I could tell.

best

mqqn

Thanks Andy, that possibility made my short list. Good to have a confirmation!

Jeff

Found a couple more shaving items yesterday. The kit razor is a four piece German model.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420308233.621654.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420308246.587729.jpg

Jeff

It has been a lean winter for my flea market "treasures" so far but I did pick this up yesterday. The blade is marked Kaufmann Germany. I'm not familiar with the maker and have had no luck finding information online. There are others marked Kaufmann and Sons and a Kaufmann Mercantile but I have not found any information on this particular maker. If any of you know more feel free to speak up.

I found a little about the company -

Originally called Heinrich Kaufmann & Soehne Indiawerk, Solingen Germany.

The brand was purchased by Otter-Messer Mercator in 1996 -

http://www.theshopkeeperstore.com/collections/otter-messer

You might be able to get more info from there - cook looking knife, I like the serrated nail nick.

best

mqqn

Thanks for the link. I have looked at several knives from Kaufmann & Sons and the makers mark is different than the one on this blade. I spent a little time on the edge and it sharpened up nicely. I try to buy made in the USA as much as I can but really appreciate the quality of German made knives. The guys at the flea market are wising up on Old Timers and they are getting harder to pick up at a good price. One guy had an authentic harpoon that I thought would look great on our living room wall but I was out voted by the wife.

We were disappointed at the small crowd when we pulled into the flea market this morning. That
changed quickly when I found this new in the box Old Timer 125OT.

Nice!

The last flea market I attended had one of those, it was rusty and missing one of the scales and they still wanted $20 for it.

Your find is much nicer!

best

mqqn

Back