Flex shaft

Are there flex shaft tools that attach to threaded arbors? I want to get one that attaches to my grizzly 2x72 5/8 arbor. All I have seen are ones that attach to dremels.

Thanks and Happy Easter!

Yes, you see them from time to time. Some screw on and some have a allen lockscrew.
The big issue is the high torque motor and attachment setup with no locking collar are very dangerous. If things go wrong ( which is likely) the handpiece and shaft could hit you like a nunchuck. The other issue is no foot control ON/OFF or VS.

I know you are trying to save money, but the best spent money would be for a Foredom TX series with the Heavy Duty shaft. There are also some Chinese units that are 1/4 to 1/3HP that work fine for a hobbiest. They start at $50. They won't work as hard as the TX or last as long, but they are cheap.

Listen to Stacy!
What you are proposing is dangerous, at best.
And you will have much more control with a dedicated flexible shaft machine.

I picked up a foredom and accessories off craigslist for a bit under half of what it was worth new. Just watch for a while and they will come up. Thing works like a charm. Absolutely puts a dremel to shame.

I've used up a dremel (with flexshaft) and have a Foredom now.
I love the machine. It hangs on a curtain rail just behind me so I can move it to where I sit.
If you use sanding drums the reverse function is very handy(but router bits don't work in reverse)
Skip the dremel get a Foredom, cry once

Check the big auction site. Used foredoms are fairly inexpensive, as well as a shaft rebuild kit.

I have done some looking around and haven't found anything inexpensive enough for me to buy right now.
Would a flex shaft attachment be safer/more useful when attached to a 4 speed drill press? Most of the attachments I am seeing are very inexpensive ($15-$40) and I am just looking for something to get me by until I can invest in a foredom. I will mostly be using it for inside holes with burrs.

Get a cheap foredom (flex shaft grinder) for $50 from Harbor Freight to hold you over, which already has a motor as well as a foot pedal with speed control . I definitely won't be as nice or well made as an actual Foredom, but I'm sure it'll do what you need it to:

https://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

Here's another lower priced flex shaft package with decent reviews:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-F...m=142915978114&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Last edited:
Running a flexible shaft off of another machine is very dangerous.
Get the $50 machine.

Back