Flipper or Thumb Stud for Tip Up or Tip Down?

Some people have strong opinions on both of those choices: flipper vs thumb stud and tip up vs tip down. I wondered if one affects the other for you. For instance, do you grab your knife differently if it has a flipper versus a thumb stud? Does it come out of pocket better with one or the other? Will you change one for the other if you have both in your EDC rotation?

Personally (from a bad experience with tip down carry) ... I only carry tip up and it doesn't matter what type knife or opening mechsnism ...

Again just ny personal preference I don't care for the "wave" feature ... but that is about the only reason I could see to carry tip down if I had the option.

... that is about the only reason I could see to carry tip down if I had the option.

I prefer a flipper tab. It doesn't matter as much in a pants pocket. For a shirt pocket though, tip down is superb. I naturally grab the knife between my thumb and middle finger. Drawing it, my trigger finger is right on the tab. With something like a Leek or Dividend, I'll even hold it that way for a quick task like cellophane or a loose thread. The trigger finger just moves up in lieu of the normal thumb position at the back of the blade. That might be a bigger quirk though...

I have identical knives setup for both tip up or down, and I'll take the one that suits how I intend to carry.

Thumb stud / disk all day.

No flippers for me. It's a useless mechanism for my needs.

Yes shirt pocket carry is a different beast all together ... from knife size and weight to what the clip looks like ...

more like a pen or an obivous knife clip ... and I wouldn't worry so much about a knife opening and not noticing in a shirt pocket ... but I have never carried that way ...

the only way I will carry a tip down (which I haven't in some time) ... would be in a back pocket with the blade edge against the side of the pocket ...

I usualy prefer thumb studs or thumb disks over flipper.
It is just personal preference but I still have quite a lot of flippers I enjoy a lot:)

For tip up or down, I do both
I don’t relly have a rule on this, it is more about how I feel more cumfortablw with a particule knife

Opening mechanism isn't a big deal for me.

And what decides whether I carry tip up or down is how the knife feels in hand.
My PM3 is tip down, my PM2 is tip up...

Back