• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Flipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to publicly apologize for my ill-considered post earlier in this thread, particularly to Mr. Latham for unfairly impugning him and his business practices, but also to the community at large. I let my frustration get the best of me and it's been gnawing at me since. I've learned my lessons, one of which is to think more before posting something like that. I never want to be "that guy," but I feel like I am in this thread. Color me very embarrassed and chagrined. I only hope there are no hard feelings on anyone's part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to publicly apologize for my ill-considered post earlier in this thread, particularly to Mr. Latham for unfairly impugning him and his business practices, but also to the community at large. I let my frustration get the best of me and it's been gnawing at me since. I've learned my lessons, one of which is to think more before posting something like that. I never want to be "that guy," but I feel like I am in this thread. Color me very embarrassed and chagrined. I only hope there are no hard feelings on anyone's part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read your posts, and they seemed polite and inoffensive. Mainly, the forum managers want members to stay on topic, which is "Flipping", and not to argue with each other, in a personal way.

Last edited:
Right on man not saying you did anything wrong just saying kudos to want a conversation towards the subject

Last edited:
There's a short section in Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values called "Knives as an Investment" (Page 19). Just reread it today. Thought it may be of interest.

Something that I've noticed in other hobbies is that flippers generally like to play down prices in open forums. After all, they want to buy your stuff for cheap so that they can resell it for a profit. Also, its highly likely their auctions are intended for a completely different audience than the forum.

This is a really good point. The Demographic is different. The Auction is for a Completely different audience than the forum.
One Positive note on "Flippers" on the forum is:

1. If they are a Gold Member the Money they give to the forum goes back into the forum. So regardless of the "Ethical" Implications of "Flipping" the Forum gets some Funds. 30 Bucks is a lot more than most other forums get from Classifieds sections. I find that to be a good thing.

2. If someone on the Forum is selling a knife, maybe to fund another knife, or just to free up funds to buy something else. And someone Comes in to purchase that Within 5 mins. Thats pretty awesome. If the price is Reasonable than both parties win. I see no issue with this. Its cool to be able to come to a place and sell OR buy something with suck quick results. I find that I've bought Knives from the same seller over and over....or I get out bought by someone else who wants it faster. That makes it fun.

But If someone wants to FLIP a knife I sold, and make a profit. Good for them. They will have more funds NEXT time to buy another knife Im selling when I'm needing to raise funds to buy someone else's knife here.

I find the entire deal to be cool as hell.

My thoughts on the process is that if you are purchasing an item, or many items for the express purpose of selling at a profit, you are a dealer. If you buy a bag of drugs for the purpose of selling it for more money you are a dealer. Period. There is a big difference between somebody selling a few knives here and there, or a big portion of their collection at once.

But if your posts are only new knives, if they are for more than a reasonable costs markup, or if you buy knives here to resell elsewhere, you are a dealer, and where it pisses me off is to see people obviously dealing in knives doing so without purchasing the proper membership level to do so. That's the abuse that upsets me. If you are buying knives to resell, you are a dealer. Do the honest thing, stop making excuses and buy a dealer membership! Then I won't have any problem with you at all, even if I will avoid you like liu kang. But don't weasel your way around and pretend you are just a knife lover when you are not! People look at posting history, and if you aren't an active part of the forum then I usually choose to not deal with you. Flip all you want, with proper membership levels.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

no%20asshats.jpg

Last edited:
There have been a few comments about GEC prices approaching custom prices. Why shouldn't that happen? There are many comments about GEC being the same quality as custom knives.

I just read this after reviewing the thread and had to snicker a little that it appeared immediately after a post by Rick Menefee. :rolleyes:

Capitalism, it's fantastic.

It people want to flip, that's within their right. We have the choice to pay their price or be patient and look elsewhere.

If they want to do it here, man up and get a dealer membership like the rest of the dealers.​

Free to do what ever in the hell I want to do with my knives whether I bought them this week or 3 years ago.

And no, this is not a GEC conspiracy or production issue.

And there is maybe 1% of these sale examples on BF and the auction site and it appears collectors want to buy them at the inflated price.

Big deal. What else do you have to whine about...

As I understood it, every BF member is entitled to express their opinion regardless of what you or anyone else thinks about it....And as I understood it, BF doesn't permit snobbish snickering...

I just read this after reviewing the thread and had to snicker a little that it appeared immediately after a post by Rick Menefee. :rolleyes:

As I understood it, every BF member is entitled to express their opinion regardless of what you or anyone else thinks about it....And as I understood it, BF doesn't permit snobbish snickering...

Is this your first day in GB&U?
facepalm.gif

Capitalism, it's fantastic.
It people want to flip, that's within their right. We have the choice to pay their price or be patient and look elsewhere.

Freedom of speech is similarly fantastic. We also have the right to point out the bad seeds and exhort fellow hobbyists to let them sit on their stock while prices plummet or trendier knives supplant them.

Free to do what ever in the hell I want to do with my knives whether I bought them this week or 3 years ago.

Did anybody claim this was your listing? Or is this a hasty admission? Either way, roll it back already, keyboard warrior.

Freedom of speech is similarly fantastic. We also have the right to point out the bad seeds and exhort fellow hobbyists to let them sit on their stock while prices plummet or trendier knives supplant them.

Did anybody claim this was your listing? Or is this a hasty admission? Either way, roll it back already, keyboard warrior.

Bad seeds? How does one trying to make a profit through legal means make them a bad seed? And how is marking up a product extortion? You can either pay the asking price or be patient and look elsewhere.

Not trying to speak for rdave, but I think he meant that he can sell his property for whatever he wants when he wants, not that that was his listing. Maybe it is though.

Bad seeds? How does one trying to make a profit through legal means make them a bad seed? And how is marking up a product extortion? You can either pay the asking price or be patient and look elsewhere.

"Extortion"? Where did you see me type that word? This thread is for people's impressions of flippers and flipping in the knife hobby. Thank you for your opinion, and I'll thank you for allowing me to express mine. :thumbup:

Not trying to speak for rdave, but I think he meant that he can sell his property for whatever he wants when he wants, not that that was his listing. Maybe it is though.

I got the distinct impression of a guilty conscience, or maybe a chapped hide due to perceived consternation. Either way, the reaction was definitely disproportionate to the post he was responding to.

"Extortion"? Where did you see me type that word? This thread is for people's impressions of flippers and flipping in the knife hobby. Thank you for your opinion, and I'll thank you for allowing me to express mine. :thumbup:

I got the distinct impression of a guilty conscience, or maybe a chapped hide due to perceived consternation. Either way, the reaction was definitely disproportionate to the post he was responding to.

Extort, the root word of extortion. Apologies if you meant something else, but that word is fairly definitive in meaning.

I respectfully disagree. Look back at the post he quoted and then be careful, as the bat will eventually break from the dead horse.

Last edited:
Extort, the root word of extortion.

Perhaps English is not your first language.
facepalm.gif

exhort - verb
strongly encourage or urge (someone) to do something.
"the media have been exhorting people to turn out for the demonstration"
synonyms: urge, encourage, call on, enjoin, charge, press; More

Apologies if you meant something else, but that word is fairly definitive in meaning.

I said exactly what I mean to say. "Definitive in meaning", indeed!
Laughing.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back