• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Flipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who are angry about flippers raising the price, are not just looking for a good cutting tool, they want a high demand item that can be easily resold, at a later date for a profit. It has a lot to do about competition for investment quality knives, that go up in value, and not just about pride of ownership.

Complete and utter hogwash, nonsense, and balderdash. Go to the originating subforum of this thread (Traditionals) and read the sentiments compiled over years of collecting from some of the participants herein. These are people who want to own certain patterns from certain manufacturers specifically for use, admiration, pride of ownership, pride of passing down to future generations, and find themselves priced out of those knives on day one.

My feed back from buyers is 6 6 people I've bought from and from sellers I bought from 17 yeah I'm just raking in the dough flipping and buying like crazy let me tell you how lucrative it's.

My feed back from buyers is 6 6 people and from sellers I bought from 17 yeah I'm just racing in the dough flipping and buying like crazy let me tell you how lucrative it's.

Take a breath, find the punctuation keys on your keyboard or phone, and relax. This is a general thread regarding a general practice, which is why no names have been named.

Nobody's turned their pitchforks or torches upon you. Yet. :D

pTRU1-2787291dt.jpg

On phone on the train sorry for the punctuation.and yeah you did make the statement that this must be lucrative for myself which isn't farther from the truth. The best part of this forum is we can disagree

This is a general thread regarding a general practice, which is why no names have been named.

You have mentioned Mike's name. And you have mentioned GEC any number of times. And quite accusatory I might add.

Wait, the government needs to step in and stop anyone from buying something and then selling it for more? Or in this case BF needs to control the market price? Talk about bolder dash. Yes, flippers kind of stink, but get over it. Life goes on. No one here has a right to tell someone else what they should sell their property for. As I said prior, it's not like someone is taking advantage of a hurricane by taking advantage of people that need water or food.

The production sales forum (folders), has a lot of very savvy member's hanging around, & everyone wants that great score...so it's extremely difficult to buy from there, if your looking to flip & make a quick buck. Besides, member's here have long memories! ;)

Also, once you factor in shipping costs, PP fee's, your time, & transportation costs, it's not really worth the headaches/unnecessary stress.

And finally, I think I know exactly who Jsega is referring to...his user name appropriately starts with an, "A"...! :D

Last edited:
You have mentioned Mike's name. And you have mentioned GEC any number of times. And quite accusatory I might add.

You are clearly misunderstanding the context and tone in which I have mentioned Mike/CK and GEC. Badly. Nobody else seems to be making this same error. Go back and read again.

Wait, the government needs to step in and stop anyone from buying something and then selling it for more? Or in this case BF needs to control the market price? Talk about bolder dash. Yes, flippers kind of stink, but get over it. Life goes on. No one here has a right to tell someone else what they should sell their property for. As I said prior, it's not like someone is taking advantage of a hurricane by taking advantage of people that need water or food.

I'm having a hard time understanding why apologists for the flipping practice are making such wildly inaccurate presumptions or inferences from what was quite clearly delivered in proper english with minimal room for interpretation.

Oh, wait. No I'm not. :D

The people who are angry about flippers raising the price, are not just looking for a good cutting tool, they want a high demand item that can be easily resold, at a later date for a profit. It has a lot to do about competition for investment quality knives, that go up in value, and not just about pride of ownership.

For the most part I planned to just watch this thread unfold without any commentary from myself(because the majority of you guys are much smarter and much more well versed in this area than me). But this comment and comments like it are complete B. S.! Believe it or not, some of us just want quality knives to use and enjoy without giving resale a single thought. Every knife I own has been used considerably destroying any chance of selling for the flipper's going rate, and that is completely fine with me.
I just avoid the secondhand prices all together. Mostly it's done out of principle. I know that if I wait long enough and utilize a few tools(like putting WTB ads in my sig line) someone with a good conscience and set of morals will come by and I'll buy from them. It is definitely a bummer watching a hobby that I hold so dear to my heart get overtaken by people who are here to strictly make a profit, but eventually it will pass and these guys will move onto something else(hopefully).
But thankfully the good guys still vastly outnumber the bad, and nowhere is that more evident than in the traditional subforum. I've given and lost count of others who have given away $100+ pocket knives just because. And that mentality is why I keep coming back.
I recently put a WTB ad in my sig for a 92 eureka jack which is a knife that at the time could have easily been sold for a $30-50 mark up, but with in a few days a very generous member offered me one for less than retail. That sense of brotherly love is still very much here, and I think we need to spend more time recognizing and celebrating that than dwelling on the negatives.
You know, that whole saying like "you can't see the forest through the trees" or something...

I don't know where I'm going with all that, so I'm going to step back in the shadows now...

[/B]On phone on the train[/B] sorry for the punctuation. The best part of this forum is we can disagree

Post some selfies GB, or I'm not buying it! ;)

On another note, if you are indeed riding a train somewhere in the vicinity of Chicago; I sure in the heck hope that your carrying something for protection...like maybe a machete! :D

So does anyone remember Beanie Babies? Like certain knife manufacturers they fell prey to flippers getting control of the rarest ones by buying up huge lots and selling them way above msrp. What happened? People got tired of the crap and stopped buying, the bottom fell out, and suddenly these resellers were left with garages full of 69 cent stuffed animals. If you are tired of what's going on then turn your attention to other exciting brands (of which there are MANY) until even the flippers stop buying them and prices drop. You, my fellow knife lovers are keeping the flippers going, and YOU can make it stop. Buy some other knives and enjoy this hobby.

Edit add: there seems to be so much anger on this thread against flippers and I totally get it, but SOMEONE is buying from them and paying those prices. Perhaps that angst should be more focused on those who are supporting flippers than the resellers themselves. I would LOVE a Busse/GEC/Northwoods/Spyderco Sprint run, but I refuse to over-pay so much. Therefore I will stick to other custom or mass produced options until the prices fall more in line with original msrp.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For the most part I planned to just watch this thread unfold without any commentary from myself(because the majority of you guys are much smarter and much more well versed in this area than me). But this comment and comments like it are complete B. S.! Believe it or not, some of us just want quality knives to use and enjoy without giving resale a single thought. Every knife I own has been used considerably destroying any chance of selling for the flipper's going rate, and that is completely fine with me.
I just avoid the secondhand prices all together. Mostly it's done out of principle. I know that if I wait long enough and utilize a few tools(like putting WTB ads in my sig line) someone with a good conscience and set of morals will come by and I'll buy from them. It is definitely a bummer watching a hobby that I hold so dear to my heart get overtaken by people who are here to strictly make a profit, but eventually it will pass and these guys will move onto something else(hopefully).
But thankfully the good guys still vastly outnumber the bad, and nowhere is that more evident than in the traditional subforum. I've given and lost count of others who have given away $100+ pocket knives just because. And that mentality is why I keep coming back.
I recently put a WTB ad in my sig for a 92 eureka jack which is a knife that at the time could have easily been sold for a $30-50 mark up, but with in a few days a very generous member offered me one for less than retail. That sense of brotherly love is still very much here, and I think we need to spend more time recognizing and celebrating that than dwelling on the negatives.
You know, that whole saying like "you can't see the forest through the trees" or something...
I don't know where I'm going with all that, so I'm going to step back in the shadows now...

Cosigned, completely, SSS, and thank you for popping out of the shadows. BTW, You should have something in your mailbox either today or Monday, if my estimate is correct. ;)

What people are failing to get in this thread is that you can enjoy the hobby without flipping. You don't need to take a loss (well, beyond the "loss" of purchasing knives for your own collection -- but what good is money if you don't buy stuff you like? :cool:) to pass knives along, nor is anybody asking for a discount for every knife on the Exchange. The practice people are specifically complaining about is "zero day" bulk buys becoming individual knives for sale at great markups. A "finder's fee" isn't worth it to me if the "finder" is the guy who made the knife $&%#$&% impossible to purchase at fair market in the first place!

There will be no convincing flippers, or their supporters, to change their ways. This is obvious. What this thread is mainly about is giving members who find themselves fighting over the "scraps" a place to vent, and getting the word out to new hobbyists and old alike that the best defense we can offer against this practice is to refuse to pay the exorbitant prices.

The first time flippers get caught holding the bag on dozens of TCs, #77s, or other SFOs, they'll seriously rethink their practices. That's the point.

Edit add: there seems to be so much anger on this thread against flippers and I totally get it, but SOMEONE is buying from them and paying those prices. Perhaps that angst should be more focused on those who are supporting flippers than the resellers themselves. I would LOVE a Busse/GEC/Northwoods/Spyderco Sprint run, but I refuse to over-pay so much. Therefore I will stick to other custom or mass produced options until the prices fall more in line with original msrp.

They are not immune from the ire in this thread. They just need to be guided to the right thing to do, so we aren't eviscerating them wholesale. Yet. :D

I hope this thread acts as a "come to Jesus" conversation for those folks, honestly.

Nobody is advocating for a strict "policing" of anything, just spreading the word and looking for some common sense mitigation. You are clearly trying to move the goalposts here to protect what I have to assume is a lucrative income stream for you. That's fine and all, we're here to share opinions. You are willfully ignoring most of the premises that this entire thread is based upon, including the manufacturers turning everything into short runs or SFOs, dealers (not you, Mike :D) cutting deals with middlemen to hand over huge batches of limited knives at retail (or less!) so they can go pump the price up 150% or more on the secondary market (guess what -- that's called "price manipulation" and in many jurisdictions is a crime), or other questionable practices leading to artificial increases in the supply/demand curve (see also: the recent snafu regarding the snakewood-handled Vipers from GEC). So, no, this isn't a cut-and-dried issue as you would love to make it out to be. There are many nuances and scenarios which play out each time that help enable the bald-faced flipping we have all seen.

Also, making snide comments and implications about other posters for simply disagreeing with you only serves to show your character in the end. Keep that in mind.

Isn't it fun having to buy massive amounts of ammo in bulk (inviting the ire of the already-paranoid federal government in these days of nutjob cops, federal officers and security guards who are licensed to carry already) just so you can reduce the per-round cost enough to justify going out to the range for a couple hours?

Some proof of that would be really nice...

Cosigned, completely, SSS, and thank you for popping out of the shadows. BTW, You should have something in your mailbox either today or Monday, if my estimate is correct. ;)

What people are failing to get in this thread is that you can enjoy the hobby without flipping. You don't need to take a loss (well, beyond the "loss" of purchasing knives for your own collection -- but what good is money if you don't buy stuff you like? :cool:) to pass knives along, nor is anybody asking for a discount for every knife on the Exchange. The practice people are specifically complaining about is "zero day" bulk buys becoming individual knives for sale at great markups. A "finder's fee" isn't worth it to me if the "finder" is the guy who made the knife $&%#$&% impossible to purchase at fair market in the first place!

There will be no convincing flippers, or their supporters, to change their ways. This is obvious. What this thread is mainly about is giving members who find themselves fighting over the "scraps" a place to vent, and getting the word out to new hobbyists and old alike that the best defense we can offer against this practice is to refuse to pay the exorbitant prices.

The first time flippers get caught holding the bag on dozens of TCs, #77s, or other SFOs, they'll seriously rethink their practices. That's the point.

They are not immune from the ire in this thread. They just need to be guided to the right thing to do, so we aren't eviscerating them wholesale. Yet. :D

I hope this thread acts as a "come to Jesus" conversation for those folks, honestly.

That's one hell of a "blanket statement"

Everyone realizes that except the people we call "flippers" who do this mostly for monetary gain, and with them it's not about "realizing" anything....they have an agenda, just like everyone else, and they are doing what they do, and have every right to do.

Post some selfies GB, or I'm not buying it! ;)

On another note, if you are indeed riding a train somewhere in the vicinity of Chicago; I sure in the heck hope that your carrying something for protection...like maybe a machete! :D
Lol was on the south shore took the kids to Lincoln park zoo today and no machete just my crk 21.

One idea about stopping the flipping of the knives you personally sell would be to hold back the tubes/ boxes or any other "valuable" paperwork that flippers and the like seek. Knives sold without boxes and paperwork seem to take a good hit when they are sought after for collecting or investment purposes.
So next time you are selling that TC at cost you might consider holding back the tube, because a user(or at least I) could not care less if the knife comes with all that extra junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back